Bringing us back together

Off-topic forum for jokes, funny sites,other games, pictures etc.
WasteGate
Guild Master
Guild Master

Bringing us back together

Post#1 » 19 Feb 2013, 09:37

Hi all,

From the slowing of forum posts over the last six months it seems that Southern Cross is dying a low death and as someone who has had some funny arse times in this guild from Star Wars Galaxies to WoW and ToR and everything else in between I really don’t want to see that happen.

If you don’t already know we have a Steam Community group and a Facebook group and I would encourage you to join and stay in touch with other Southern Cross members. It would be good if we can get an event up through Steam one night, TF2 or CS as they are generally common games most people have and get on vent and have some laughs, hopefully make it a semi regular event.

Fitz posted in the MMO forums a good comment in a thread I had describing the games we are playing, to the “hamster-on-a-wheel-that-is-MMO-gaming-now”. It’s a pretty accurate description as it’s not like we even get a good six months out of them anymore, with what’s on the horizon I don’t even know what the next SC game will be.

I’m not sure why the games are failing, I’m still in SW:ToR as GM doing things and would like to resurrect SC when they merge the server out to a more populated server. I still like the game even with all it's flaws as I did with WAR and other MMO's, I'm not one to be that critical of any games. I’m always the last to get to endgame just when everyone it hopping off the hamster wheel so with GW2 I didn't even bother even though I bought the game.

Anyway if you know old Southern Cross players and still keep in contact with them please let them know as well, even though they may not post on the forums or play with SC it would be great to stay in touch.

Regards,
Wastey :D
(SC4EVA)
Join the Southern Cross Steam group or find us on Facebook

<SWG 2003-2009> <EQ2 2005-2006> <WoW 2005-2015>
<LotRO 2007-2009> <AoC 2008-2009> <WAR 2008-2010>
<World of Tanks 2011-
premium> <SW:ToR 2011-active>
<TESO 2014-2014>

Sorceron
Grunt

Re: Bringing us back together

Post#2 » 19 Feb 2013, 09:51

I'd play SWTOR, if they ever fix pvp. I've been back a few times, but with so few players and no world pvp, it's a bit boring.

I'm considering starting up GW2 again, using my engineer. Have to organize a server transfer, which is a bit of a hassle. :)

Let's face it though, most games are just so dumbed down these days, they're not that interesting.

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#3 » 19 Feb 2013, 10:29

Sorceron wrote:Let's face it though, most games are just so dumbed down these days, they're not that interesting.

This.

I detest the themepark games that have been the norm recently - I love old school games like UO and SWG where you could simply just wander off and get lost, find something to do and do it. None of this go from a-b-c-d-engame then get bored.

I've lost track how many hours I spent in UO fishing in a boat just for the fun and chance of getting a treasure map, and then using my cartography skills to find and dig it up (usually while dodging whatever meanies the game decided to spawn in the area), or conning people out of loot using my disarm thief and a disguise kit.. we just seem too protected now, which is sad.

Next on my radar is The Elder Scrolls Online and Morrowind, however I still haven't found anything that matches the majesty of those older games. Maybe I'm getting older and wiser (read: bitter and twisted), but the current state of MMOs just doesnt seem to grab me as much...that and over the years the core cadre of SC members has kind of flopped as Wastey said, and (no offense to the newer members) there isnt the sense of camraderie that there used to be.

Either way, as Bigman always says SC4LIFE :D

My2c

Sorceron
Grunt

Post#4 » 19 Feb 2013, 11:01

UO, ah, what memories. I loved/hated that game. Brutal pvp, ganks, murders, die and lose all your gear. lol. Solo a dragon! No game has matched it, unfortunately. Played it non stop for 3 years.

Age of Wushu has some UO elements, that's why I tried it. It's a near pure pvp game, and it has brilliant martial arts animations and combat. However, the interface is clunky (although they delayed US go live to fix it, so I hear), and there is no meaningful pve to do when you just feel like chilling (this is a problem, as there is not always pvp to do). However, its no themepark. There are also lots of side games, which kind of fit into the go fishing category. It also tracks your personal enemies. Someone pk's you, you post a bounty on his head, and the game remembers he is your personal enemy, so you can track him down and seek revenge. If a griefer gets caught and jailed, his toon has to cool his heals for SIX hours real time in jail, unless his mates can bust him out of jail (by killing the jailors). You steal secrets from other martial arts schools (8 schools), which means sneaking into the enemy's home area, and avoiding guys who are patrolling for you. If they catch you, it's fight for your life. You can patrol or steal (this is actually a great aspect to this game - hunt and evade). You also kidnap off line players, and sell them for money, and can be killed by other players as you are a criminal while kidnapping. There are guild wars, and wars between schools. Greifers can hit you anywhere, no safe havens, not even in town. All that stuff is fun. The game is also very skill based (like UO), so someone with a high level skill can be using a wooden spoon to spank someone with low skills, although there is an internal skill which is kind of like a level, but having a high internal skill is no guarantee of victory. At the equivalent of level 30, a skillful level 10 player can rip you apart, as there is a lot of skill in pvp. It's really tough. Bottom line, a very interesting pvp game with some flaws, but the first game I've played in years that reminds me of UO. You do lose some money if you get PKed, but not your gear. Because there is off line levelling for players who buy a copy, it also has a bit of an EVE feel to levelling. Even though its a chinese game, there is no grind. Seriously. You can go spy on an enemy school for 15-20 minutes and make the equivalent of 160,000 skill points, then just go randomly fight people, or totally stuff around. Forget about levelling. The skill points are consumed in real time, on or off line, at a specified rate.

I really don't know if I'll keep playing it or not. If they fix the clunky interface . . . . . . maybe. It could be like Eve, evolve into some massive player created world.

Sorceron
Grunt

Post#5 » 19 Feb 2013, 11:44

I just signed up for Elder Scrolls Online beta. Here's a tip to get selected.

I answered all questions on the form, indicated about a dozen games on their list that I'd played, and was rated "Above Average" chance to get in. I then ran the dxdiag as requested at the bottom of the application and dumped the output into their input box, and my rating jumped to "Excellent" chance of getting in. So if you're keen to try the beta, giving them the dxdiag output is the key to getting to the top of the entry selection list. Very easy, takes less than a minute to do.

WasteGate
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#6 » 20 Feb 2013, 08:47

While The Elder Scrolls Online looks to be interesting, deep down I worry if it will suffer the same fate as other MMO's. I haven't played any Elder Scrolls games but I did purchase the Steam pack over Xmas so I'm going to kick off with Oblivion in the next few weeks, probably use a walk through so I can rip through it and then dig in to Skyrim.

The game I'm following closely is The Repopulation (Facebook) and Wasteland 2. The Repopulation has a lot of SWG elements and is very sandboxey. No levels and is skills based with a crazy insane crafting system.

Had a few members join the FB group which is good to see. :D

-Wastey :D

<World of Tanks 2011-
<TESO 2014-2014>

Sorceron
Grunt

Post#7 » 20 Feb 2013, 09:35

I played Skyrim for a while. That is a true sandbox, amazing graphics, good combat system. Not like WoW. I didn't finish it because I tend to get bored in stand alone games, although I am tempted to go back to it. However, I kept thinking, if Skyrim were a MMOG, where you could team with, or fight against other players, it would be awesome. And this is the promise of Elder Scrolls Online.

ESO has the three way realm pvp of DAOC, which is also a plus. It means the guild would probably need to pick a main alliance, (3 race choices per alliance), for the pvp, although I would probably have numerous alts in numerous alliances (ie sides).

So ESO is targeting the kind of MMO experience I am looking for. Fingers crossed.

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#8 » 20 Feb 2013, 09:57

Sorceron wrote:
So ESO is targeting the kind of MMO experience I am looking for. Fingers crossed.

This.
Plus its also designed by some of the original creators of DAOC so maybe just maybe they'll get it right...

simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Post#9 » 22 Feb 2013, 13:09

Anyone playing Starcraft? That's all I really play these days... :(
Add me on Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/Simonsmp/
Simonsmp for Prime Minister
DPS Paladin!

Thebigman
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#10 » 24 Feb 2013, 21:07

I am on Facebook and Steam groups.

Currently still playing GW2 ... Secro and I are rolling with TKG and WAR (under TKG) and we WvW with 10-20 people every night. Still having fun.

simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Post#11 » 27 Feb 2013, 13:29

Could I get an invite to the Steam group? Can't work out if I'm able to request it or whatever, never used steam community before haha. Username is Simonsmp1, not that I use steam much these days, but in the future I could!
Add me on Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/Simonsmp/
Simonsmp for Prime Minister
DPS Paladin!

WasteGate
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#12 » 28 Feb 2013, 08:27

simonsmp wrote:Could I get an invite to the Steam group? Can't work out if I'm able to request it or whatever, never used steam community before haha. Username is Simonsmp1, not that I use steam much these days, but in the future I could!

Will invite tonight :D

<World of Tanks 2011-
<TESO 2014-2014>

catweazel
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#13 » 13 Feb 2014, 21:08

hmm year old thread.. still worth a shot.
steam name catweazel
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197994570391/

I've preordered eso emperor ed.

stuffing about on neverwinter atm, waiting for eso to come out

Sovaka
LotRO Officer
LotRO Officer

Post#14 » 27 Feb 2014, 08:45

With the new D3 patch, I suspect some flow back into D3.

I've registered SC in D3's Clans and Communities.

I too don't want to see SC die a slow silent death.
Designing my own game still...
Codename: Planetarian
Aussie Genesis | Ogre3D Dev Thread

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#15 » 22 Jul 2014, 10:03

I'm playing about on Warframe (F2P) and ESO. Got kid so MMO time allotment has shrunk!

Don't forget to log into the Facebook page and update the names list that somebody accidentally deleted! I'd name names but the name list was DELETED.
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.