Forum for Champions Online, CoX, DC Universe players to chat and organise

Moderators: Kashak, Spyder

Splitpin
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

So tell me bout CoV/CoH

Post#1 » 06 Sep 2006, 22:42

Hey guys,

I've recently decided to quit WOW after a playing from the get go and Spyder tells me I should check this out. Ive checked out the site and still have a few questions.

Do I need to go out and get both or just CoV to be able to access the lot?

How much per month?

Spyder tells me its casual friendly, is this true?

Finally WOW vs CoH/CoV?

I really enjoyed playing WOW, however to keep progressing you have to set aside large chunks of time which I dont have a lot of ATM. I love team based games and really want to fill the void.

Nazz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#2 » 06 Sep 2006, 23:05

CoV and CoH are separate games that you purchase individualy. They do however share the same monthly fee. The gameplay is fairly easy to pickup and yeah is very casual free with no feel like you have to grind and you can accomplish meaningful progression with limited time. It also has one of the best LFG interfaces I've seen.

nucleon
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Post#3 » 06 Sep 2006, 23:55

Buy CoH & pay monthly fee - get access to CoH content (8char slots per server).

Buy CoV & pay monthly fee - get access to CoV content (8char slots per server).

Buy both & pay only one set of monthly get access to both CoV and CoH content (12 char slots per server).

There are probably more aussies playing villains than there are aussies playing heroes at the moment. Everyone is pretty casual. Good thing about CoV/CoH is the side-kick system. Which allows you to have a team with a pretty large level spread and still have fun. (I wouldn't call a lvl60highbie runninng a lvl20 through an instance fun)

The sidekick system temporarily bumps the sidekick up to a level one less of the master. i.e At lvl40 I can sidekick say a lvl15 to lvl39. So the lowbie at lvl15 acts as though he's at lvl39 (but he's still without anypowers he might learn between levels 16-39) There are a couple of limitiations but they won't make snese me mentioning them here until you've played the game for a couple of hours.

Also to note is that you get a travel power at a much lower level than WoW - level 14.

If you decide to join - there is a healthy Aussie contingent on Justice server. When you join - first thing to do is join the "Australia" chat channel.

The aussie group to be in as a hero is probably "Trashgallery" they are more active than our group "Defenders of the Southern Cross". If you join as a villain the group to be in is SINISTER. Reps for either group are practically always on the Australia channel.

There also exists an app to assist building your hero/villain:
http://sherksilver.coldfront.net/index.php

-- Craig
CoV - Soundspeed (Son/Kin Cor)
CoH - Ms Taken (Storm/NRG Def) GoldenRock (Rock/Rock Tank)
WoW - Omikron (Druid) KappaOmikron (Shaman)

Chrien
Herald of the Titans
Herald of the Titans

Post#4 » 07 Sep 2006, 00:02

CoH/CoV is a good game, one of the better MMOs around but this post will focus on its negative aspects rather than its positives, I'll let someone like Spyder fill you in on whats great about it (and it does have many great things).

1) It lacks depth - getting to level 50 in CoH/Cov is about 95% of the game, there are various events that are probably fun at 50 but there really isn't that much to do once you hit the level cap except roll an alt.

2) Its population is predominantly North American - yes you get to be in an Aussie SG but SINISTER isn't always doing what you want to do (like any MMO guild, not criticising SINISTER at all) so its pretty difficult to get a non-sinister group (of any decent quality) going after work. Also I found it very difficult to get into pugs in general.

3) The missions are somewhat repetetive and monotonous - this is strictly my opinion, I know Spot found the missions alot of fun and really got into the story of them, but if you're the sort of person who doesn't immerse themselves into a MMO's story then you will get bored.

4) Its group orientated - whether it be just a duo, you do need to play it with someoen else, its pretty tedious solo even if you're playing a good solo class, this is fine as long as you can get into a pug.

I could probably think of more flaws, but those are the 4 biggest I can think of off the top of my head.

On the plus side CoH/V has in my opinion the funnest combat model of any MMO I've played, because its dynamic and suits many different group structures. Its also pretty crazy in terms of graphical effects and just looks great when a fullscale group is fighting.

I do think you'll find it hard to adjust from the depth in WoW (even if it was just a series of grinds there always was stuff to collect or kill in WoW) CoH/V just isn't that type of game and probably never will be.
Chrien
"You've gotta make decisions, you've gotta keep making decisions, even if they're wrong decisions. If you don't make decisions you're stuffed" - Joe Simpson
Currently Playing: World of Warcraft
Current Character: Khrien - Druid - Horde Khaz-goroth

Spoticus
Warchief
Warchief

Post#5 » 07 Sep 2006, 00:12

Yep Nazz and Craig summed it up pretty nicely. It would probably be best to just try one or the other to start with to see how find it (unless there is some joint coh/cov pack you can buy i dunno). Personally I would recommend Villains as despite wanting to play Heroes, I have barely touched it since CoV launch. While casual there are usually people playing every night in SINISTER.

The forums are at

http://www.sinister-hq.com/ and http://www.trashgallery.com

respectively.

As Craig said side kicking generally means you wont have to worry if no one your level is on. On top of that most of us have plenty of alts so we run groups of low-mid levels all the time anyway. Also for the most part you dont have to worry about gimping yourself or playing the right class either, 99% of the time groups go fine with any mix of archetypes and power sets (probably more true for CoV than CoH) and you get access to a few respecs along the way also if you dont like your power choices.

If you do decide to play I would definately just start with whatever sounds cool :)

Oh and one thing the others didnt mention is the cool costume creator. It's like a game in itself the first time you try it :)

And to chrien: I would disagree a bit with the boring solo bit. CoH is more fun solo than nearly every other MMO I have played, but I am probably a bit bias with my Hero and Villain main being strong solo archetypes. And I think Chrien hit the nail on the head, while missions can be repetitive (particularly if you dont care about the story) but the group combat which is the core of the game is just very fun.
SWG - Wookiee Tailor & Dark Jedi || DAoC - Merc CoH - Scrapper || CoV - Ninja MM
EQ2 - Jeweler || GW Wa/Me & Mo/Ne WoW - Warlock/Jeweller || LotRO - Champion/Armourer
WAR - Marauder, Choppa

Rockitt
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post#6 » 07 Sep 2006, 08:56

Agreed. The combat is hands down some of the best you'll find in an MMORPG. The most fun is to be had in large teams facing off against a dozen or so bad/good guys.

The costume generator is simply awesome with thousands of details able to be applied to your hero/villain. You also get access to capes and additional costume slots as you level.

The sidekick/mentor system is great for playing with your mates, irrespective of your respective levels.

I'd recommend you give it a shot.

Cheers
Rob
More alts than you can beat with dual wielded Thrash Blades.

Spyder
Elemental Lord
Elemental Lord

Post#7 » 07 Sep 2006, 09:27

I'll respond in detail to what everyone else has said later, for now I suggest you pick up a CoV 14-day trial ;)

http://www.cityofvillains.com/promos/feb06.html

I think it still works, if not shiminto said he got one from this month's powerplay magazine.

One thing that is cool, once you're playing you have the exact same client for both CoV & CoH with the only difference being how many CD keys are attached to your account. I doubt you'll have time to play both, so IMO CoV is the more polished of the two atm. Trial is a very good place to start, and then once it's over you can buy a CD key online and keep your character :)
Spyder - Pally Healer, WoW Blackrock (retired lv70)

nucleon
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Post#8 » 07 Sep 2006, 10:58

Another thing...

Death isn't _that_ bad. It shits me off in WoW when you die that you have to spend a fair amount of "real world" time to get back into playing. Which suits my suicidal level of playing :)

In CoH/CoV all death does is slow your XP progression a bit, but at least you can get back into playing the game within 30secs.

The longest time you have to wait between missions is the time it takes you to get another one. 90% of the time the team leader will have the next mission up <10secs, and it'll take 30secs-1min to get to the next mission.

Downtime in CoH/CoV is very low.

Like what's been said - you don't need the holy trinity of char types (tank, healer, damage dealer) in a team to be succesful. A single controller has the lowest damage output of any hero type - but a team of 8 controllers won't die and a team of controllers combined can pack quite a punch.

-- Craig
CoV - Soundspeed (Son/Kin Cor)
CoH - Ms Taken (Storm/NRG Def) GoldenRock (Rock/Rock Tank)
WoW - Omikron (Druid) KappaOmikron (Shaman)

Spyder
Elemental Lord
Elemental Lord

Post#9 » 07 Sep 2006, 14:20

ok scratch what I said, with the next update the gameplay things that make CoV better are coming to CoH - the graphics will still be inferior, but that's never bothered me.

http://www.cityofheroes.com/game_update8.html

Splitpin
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post#10 » 08 Sep 2006, 16:36

Going to pick up CoV on the Weekend. If I remember correctly 1st month is included in the buy price, so mebe i'll see some of you guys there. :D

Spyder
Elemental Lord
Elemental Lord

Post#11 » 08 Sep 2006, 16:54

yep all MMOs do that, first month of play is included in the purchase price.

Worked really well when I bought CoV, because it gave me a free month of both it and CoH :D

Spoticus
Warchief
Warchief

Post#12 » 08 Sep 2006, 18:33

Splitpin let us know your Global nick once you have set it up :)
SWG - Wookiee Tailor & Dark Jedi || DAoC - Merc CoH - Scrapper || CoV - Ninja MM
EQ2 - Jeweler || GW Wa/Me & Mo/Ne WoW - Warlock/Jeweller || LotRO - Champion/Armourer
WAR - Marauder, Choppa

Balki
The Patient
The Patient

Post#13 » 21 Sep 2006, 19:18

heh, must be getting to that time of the year or something. I'm in exactly the same situation as Split and i've been tossing up trying something new.. at least until xpac comes out. I reckon i'll be looking you folks up in CoH/CoV sometime pretty soon. :p
Joric - Priest
Balki - Retired

...Don't wait, or your opponents will crash you with fruits!!

Splitpin
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post#14 » 21 Sep 2006, 19:20

global = Splitpin

Spyder
Elemental Lord
Elemental Lord

Post#15 » 22 Sep 2006, 08:49

Balki wrote:heh, must be getting to that time of the year or something. I'm in exactly the same situation as Split and i've been tossing up trying something new.. at least until xpac comes out. I reckon i'll be looking you folks up in CoH/CoV sometime pretty soon. :p
maybe you'll finally read that forum PM that I sent you about it in november last year :P