So fill me in

Forum for Champions Online, CoX, DC Universe players to chat and organise

Moderators: Kashak, Spyder

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

So fill me in

Post#1 » 13 Oct 2005, 23:29

I havent played CoH for a looong time. I think peacebringers were just coming in when I left.

Professor magma, will I be battling villans in their hideout kinda dungeon keeper style? maybe a bit much to hope for.

Is being a villan pretty much jsut being a hero by grinding on goody mobs?

Is it just going to be zerg city? zomg WoW battlegrounds zzzzzz (cept WSG! woo that rocks)

urrr guess Im saying whats the killer feature in CoV thats going to make me go OMG!! i gotsta play this now!
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

nucleon
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Post#2 » 14 Oct 2005, 08:22

One word/phrase:

N.D.A.

Can't say too much.

It has some new shine. If you are looking for 5 brand spanking new ATs to play, you are probably going to be disappointed. If you hated the combat system in CoH, you're not going to make friends with CoV.

4 of the ATs are hybrids of exiting system, BUT, they do play differently once you advance a bit. One AT, is completely different from CoH - Masterminds. Masterminds rock. If you like role-playing, CoV gives a lot of scope for that.

There is a going to be a fair amount of crossover content, which I can't talk about publically. One hint - IOP. Oops, I've said too much. The zone that CoH did a story on recently is a CoV/CoH crossover zone (Siren's Call). Both Heros and Villains can go there. Should be fun.

Did I also mention there will be SG content? (But that's linked to IOPs)

In CoH/CoV, generally:

Solo (and <4 players) = Grind.
4players = Fun
8players = Awesome

Unlike WoW, CoH/CoV has enough features to get a team going rather quickly. Even random teams now are half decent. In random teams, generally you can complete missions on the lower difficulty. But with teams of players that know each other, generally the mission difficulty one below the top is do-able _just_, the top difficulty you actually need to work as a team :)

At the moment, coalition was the best thing for us aussies. We have a good coalition with SAS, PCA, and to lower extent Trashgallery/Rainbow Force. There will be at least 10 regularly players _outside_ of SC on day one that we will be in communication with. So I doubt you'll be soloing on day one.

-- Craig
CoV - Soundspeed (Son/Kin Cor)
CoH - Ms Taken (Storm/NRG Def) GoldenRock (Rock/Rock Tank)
WoW - Omikron (Druid) KappaOmikron (Shaman)

nucleon
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Post#3 » 14 Oct 2005, 08:33

New features on CoH in the last 6months, these most likely will be in CoV to some extent.

- More costume options, incl capes and auras (not everyone's cup of tea, but I note it anyhow)
- mission difficulty slider
- half debt in missions
- half debt cap
- specific zone events: octopus in IP, ghost ship (TI/IP), giant clockwork in KR, fires in Steel, troll raves in skyway
- more mission variety, rescue & defend hostage, destroy item, defend items, defend locations (awesome missions in Croatoa), roaming mobs
- inherent auto-powers, scrappers get criticals, controllers get increased damage on mez'd mobs, blasters get defiance, defenders get end discount if the team's hp is low, tanks get auto taunt on damage.
- Tanks are no longer the taunt/provoke bots that they used to be
- scrappers have obscene dmg
- Controllers pre 32 can do a bit of dmg
- blasters survivablilty has improved.
- reverse sidekick (exemplar), a high level toon can play with lowbies to get rid of debt
- The team search screen - very awesome, plenty of options there
- coaltion chat (get to know your /c command)
- channel chat (join Australia channel)
- 4 new power sets, archery, trick arrow, sonic attacks, sonic resonance (sonic debuffs)

-- Craig

Rockitt
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post#4 » 14 Oct 2005, 09:05

Apparently the NDA has been lifted, so spill the beans. :)

Cheers
Rob
More alts than you can beat with dual wielded Thrash Blades.

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#5 » 14 Oct 2005, 09:27

Never minded the combat system at all. Twas fun, just the game itself became smash this mob, smash the next after a (long) while. So i guess im looking for .. dunno, Im gonna try it anyway arent I?
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur

Spyder
Elemental Lord
Elemental Lord

Post#6 » 14 Oct 2005, 10:07

Kashak wrote:the game itself became smash this mob, smash the next after a (long) while.
at a basic level, that's all CoV is too. The combat model is exactly the same, but you now have new powers (or pets if you're a mastermind) to play with.
Spyder - Pally Healer, WoW Blackrock (retired lv70)

Wolfy-at-work
Blademaster
Blademaster

Post#7 » 14 Oct 2005, 10:29

WoW - Smash mob + loot mob
COV - Smash mob

YEAHY NO LOOTING !

I hate having to loot all the time...

Faust
High Overlord
High Overlord

Post#8 » 14 Oct 2005, 12:30

Wolfy-at-work wrote:WoW - Smash mob + loot mob
COV - Smash mobS

If less than 10 mobs in a group, my controller is bored.

Wolfy-at-work
Blademaster
Blademaster

Post#9 » 14 Oct 2005, 12:34

Ahh...those good old 5th column training grounds...they even lined up for us !

nucleon
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Post#10 » 14 Oct 2005, 13:57

Faust wrote:
Wolfy-at-work wrote:WoW - Smash mob + loot mob
COV - Smash mobS

If less than 10 mobs in a group, my controller is bored.

Agreed.

The game generally is un-interesting with less than 4ppl in the team.
I find Ms Taken is almost uselss with <4ppl. Although duo with steel striker wasn't too bad, having fun trying to escape aggro :)

-- Craig

bishop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#11 » 14 Oct 2005, 19:38

yeh, i'm gunna haveta try this out. i may even sign back up to CoH soon to get back into the style. might just plod around by myself and see if i can remember what the buttons do :p
- Jak
If you have to explain in great detail why you're important, that should be a clue you aren't

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#12 » 15 Oct 2005, 10:22

My old fire/stone tanker prolly has all his powers reset by now or something :o
Steam Surg3on / Kashak