Presiding - Holy Paladin or Sorcerress shadow priest

Want to join SouthernCross WoW Chapter? Post here. (MOP Recruitment OPEN)

Moderator: WoW Officers

Marc
Grunt

Presiding - Holy Paladin or Sorcerress shadow priest

Post by Marc » 14 Jun 2010, 17:31

1. About You

Please state your

1.1 First Name / Age / Location:
A: Marcus / 32 / Canberra

1.2 Usual Playtimes:
A: 7pm - midnight

1.3 Do you know anyone in SC? (Online or in Real Life)
A: No

1.4 Are you applying to SC to Raid/PvP or Socialize? Or a combination? Please specify your intentions and also your goals in WoW as a whole
A: Raid

1.5 Any other information you feel comfortable sharing, the more we know about you the more it helps us with our decision! (optional)
A: Work as IT network admin during the day. Wife is night shift nurse. She works at night when I play games. So no wife aggro.
Was an officer in the Ascension guild for a few years. Have lead many raids, although I prefer not to lead any at the moment.

2. About Your Characters

2.1 List your character(s) Name / Class / Race / Level / Armory Link:
(Please try to stay logged out in your PvE gear)
A: Presiding / Holy Paladin / Human / 80 / http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Presiding
Sorcerress / Shadow Priest / Human / 80 / http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... Sorcerress
Willing to trial on either character. Both fairly geared. Let me know which char you would want me to trial on.

2.2 What guilds have you been in? And why have you left or intend on leaving them?
A: The Ascension - past 3 years. Leaving because I need an environment change. They currently have a bit of guild dramas between players and i don't want to be involved anymore.

2.3 Are you the original owner of your account?
A: Yes. Not a soul knows my login password. Not even my wife.

3. Raiding

If you have no intentions of ever doing any serious raiding, feel free to skip this section.

3.1 Our raids usually begin at 7:30pm AEST and run up to midnight. Place an asterix next to those days you can make.

Wednesday* yes
Thursday* yes
Sunday* yes
Monday* yes

3.2 What raid experience did you have in classic WoW
A: Started wow 1 month before TBC came out. Was still levelling. I've done all dungeons since then though.

3.3 What raid experience did you have in TBC?
A: Everything except Sunwell during TBC. Killed Terror Gorefiend pre nerf. Killed Illidan pre wotlk.

3.4 What raid experience do you have in WotLK?
A: Paladin is 10m Kingslayer. 9/12 in 25m. Priest is 10/12 10m and 10/12 25m with some hard modes done.

3.5 We use Ventrillo for communication on raids, it is required that all players atleast be able to listen in on vent. Will this be a problem for you?
A: I have ventrilo and a mic

3.6 What is your internet connection? (speed and download limit – important because dogging hard raids because your “capped” is a piss weak excuse)
A: 8mbit / 1mbit. Unlimited download, have never ever been capped.

3.7 If possible please post a link to a picture of your ui with raid frames. (This is more important for healers)
A: Image
Sorcerress' keybindings aren't really showing in the pic, as they are secondary keys. Also her dps sucks in the pic cause i just got banished by a mob. ;)

3.8 Post a link to what you feel is the best PVE spec for your character.
A: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-tale ... =Presiding
Divine Sacrifice is too good not to get.

3.85a What major glyphs do you use and why?
A: Holy Light - splash aoe heals.
Wisdom - 5% less mana cost on all heals
Holy Shock - my current play style uses a lot of holy shock. I've tried the Beacon glyph, but I do a lot better with Holy Shock. I have no problem keeping beacon up with my mod timers.

3.85b What minor glyphs do you use and why?
A: see 3.8 armory talent link. All the minor glyphs are crap ;)

3.9 DPS - Describe a typical rotation you would use to maximise your DPS
Healers - Tell us what sort of healing strategies you use to maximise your healing and efficiency

A: Sacred Shield the MT. Beacon the OT. Holy light the MT and keep holy shock on CD as an instant raid heal or to top up the tank quickly. If infusion procs instaly flash of light the raid or the MT who has sacred shield on for HOT.

for spriest: Keep VT + SWP + DP on boss at all times. Mind Blast on every CD and Mind flay as a filler.

4. PvP

If you’re not a very serious PvPer feel free to skip this section

4.1 What are your achievements of note in PvP? (high rank / Arena rating / etc)
A: Never done arena in wotlk. I occasionally do BGs and have some random resilience gear from VOA i've kept - maybe 500 resilience or something.

5.Other Stuff
5.1 Do you have any achievements relavent to your application you'd wish us to note?
A: Legendary healing mace from Ulduar 25m. Have Algalon key. 10m Kingslayer. Precious' ribbon :D

5.2 Are you applying with any other guilds at the moment?
A: No, your start times suit me best.

5.2 What do you hope to get out of Southern Cross? Why do you think you would make a valuable member?
A: Drama free guild and fun raiding.

Aereth
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Re: Presiding - Holy Paladin or Sorcerress shadow priest

Post by Aereth » 14 Jun 2010, 19:13

Looks like a quality app, well written, but don't know much about priests or pallies personally :)

Still a nice app!

Demandread
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post by Demandread » 17 Jun 2010, 08:07

Solid app, will get back to you soon

Mick
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post by Mick » 17 Jun 2010, 12:19

How can you heal with all that space in your screen?

its just not hectic enough

A real Paladins UI:

Mick
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post by Mick » 17 Jun 2010, 12:48

Solid app and gear - the fact you have a legendary from a 25 man raid means that alteast another 24 people think your good.

I notice you dont have everything key binded - is that just cause its not showing it or do you actually click those spells? If they arent binded, any particular reason?

I like the glyph of flash of light as the 3rd glyph - i've tried the 4 set holy shock style but i didnt find it that great. All depends on spell usage during the fights - and most of the time its holy light and flash of light for me.

Marc
Grunt

Post by Marc » 17 Jun 2010, 16:11

tbh, i click on the spells that aren't binded in the picture. :/ I'm a semi clicker.
I haven't quite worked out room around my left hand to bind the spells to, well, without shift + key or something. I use ` as my venti push to talk key. Luckily i'm pretty quick clicking on them anyway so it hasn't been an issue - don't use things like freedom very often as I don't arena.
The bars on the right hand side are transparent, they only appear when i mouse over them. So spells like DI, mana potion, buffs etc I manually click. I used to bind everything but it got too complex to remember. Once bound DI to a key in TBC, accidently hit that key mid raid - don't bind DI anymore ;)

I use zomg buffs which shows the timers of SS and Beacon. When I manually click on the timer button shown it refreshes the buff on the same person it's set to. I rarely change my beacon and SS target - although it is something i need to change my habit of. Beacon should definately be binded and used on multiple players. I'm just lazy and keep it on the same tank the entire duration of the fight.

I should mention something you may find annoying... i have caps lock binded as my dispell key. So i have a habit of talking in caps accidently lol.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/58gqu3v3yfyq8biq/

For a combatlog of a recent raid.

Aereth
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Aereth » 17 Jun 2010, 16:28

Hehe lol at the capslock thing :D all good :)

Not sure if you are uber into addons but I switched to Opie for all my professions, gear sets, food buffs, feasts, flasks, portals, (haste pots are still easily reachable on action bars). You can set it to anything you want and I find it useful for getting rid of excess bars while not having to open my spellbook.

Opens a circular selection thing at the push of a a button and just mouse-over what you want to select before releasing (I personally use F5-F8)

All down to personal preference though its not really a improve gameplay addon, just a visual/convenience one and I have a tiny screen so save space >.<

Marc
Grunt

Post by Marc » 17 Jun 2010, 17:00

Marc wrote: I use zomg buffs which shows the timers of SS and Beacon. When I manually click on the timer button shown it refreshes the buff on the same person it's set to. I rarely change my beacon and SS target - although it is something i need to change my habit of. Beacon should definately be binded and used on multiple players. I'm just lazy and keep it on the same tank the entire duration of the fight.
I should mention there are a few fights where i do change my beacon target (and I click it manually). Like Saurfang with the mark of fallen and Festergut when the tanks change. Maybe a couple of other fights, but not many.

Mick
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post by Mick » 17 Jun 2010, 17:20

Yeah i have the same issue - capslock is my vent talk button

But normally i only press down the capslock button once for the entire raid to get around this issue

The other thing i notice is you have your raid frames on the left of your screen - have you ever tried them in the center? You can see in my UI that during Naxx and Ulduar, i had my raid frames on the left aswell - however in ICC i switched them to be in the center and man it makes a big difference - took a bit to get it right but i'll never look back now :)

In regards to extra keys - since you already use the 4 key, you should atleast be able to extend to R , F and X in the mix.

So thats 3 extra keys without adding modifiers - i would assign the below.

R = Beacon
F = Lay on Hands
X = Divine Shield

I think its critical that you put Divine Shield and Lay of hands on a Hotkey especially considering the distance from your raid frames to the button. When you have an "Oh Shit" moment, you need to be able to save yourself/tank instantly and i can imagine that you have died at times because either you didnt click divine shield/lay of hands fast enough or you miss clicked it.

Though looking now - is the "=" key your divine shield + sacrifice macro?

I really think you should invest the time to learn hotkeys for everything - pressing a button using muscle memory versus clicking a button is like light and day - maybe not at the start but once your hands are trained , its ridiculously better :)

I also notice you dont have Shield of Righteousness on your bars - how are you going to DPS on a fight like Gunship? Or do you actually heal that whole fight :)

p.s. i'm no officer so dont think i'm nit picking your app - i think your app is great - i'm just curious and throwing ideas your way :)

Dankyn
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Post by Dankyn » 17 Jun 2010, 18:25

Mick I endorse the middle of the screen for frames. But you should probably say why its better!
I'm assuming that its so you can see when you IN THE FIRE more easily. If you're looking to the top or the side you can't looking at your character so you're more prone to missing fire/lazers/poison/etc
WoW = dankyn
steam id = pert
SC2 NA server = swissfeta 143
BA = pert11

Marc
Grunt

Post by Marc » 17 Jun 2010, 19:07

Mick wrote: The other thing i notice is you have your raid frames on the left of your screen - have you ever tried them in the center? You can see in my UI that during Naxx and Ulduar, i had my raid frames on the left aswell - however in ICC i switched them to be in the center and man it makes a big difference - took a bit to get it right but i'll never look back now :)
So put the buttons on the left side and raid frames on the middle bottom? I could do that. I've just been used to it on the left for a few years. might take a little getting used to. :D

Mick wrote: In regards to extra keys - since you already use the 4 key, you should atleast be able to extend to R , F and X in the mix.
So thats 3 extra keys without adding modifiers - i would assign the below.

R = Beacon
F = Lay on Hands
X = Divine Shield

I think its critical that you put Divine Shield and Lay of hands on a Hotkey especially considering the distance from your raid frames to the button. When you have an "Oh Shit" moment, you need to be able to save yourself/tank instantly and i can imagine that you have died at times because either you didnt click divine shield/lay of hands fast enough or you miss clicked it.

Though looking now - is the "=" key your divine shield + sacrifice macro?
I can do that. Especially Beacon. The reason I haven't put lay on hands and divine shield on keybinds is because i'm scared of miss-clicking and using a big CD. like if for some reason I took my hands off my keys and put them back on and instead of pressing D to move right I press F and waste a lay on hands. Otherwise it's a top idea. :D Lemme trial it and see if i ever miss click.

yes, i currently have "=" as my divine shield + divine sacrifice macro. I know it's far away from everything, but when i'm in trouble I seem to hit it with my right hand and it's not possible to miss-click on it accidently when it's so far away. i can make a secondary keybind to something near my left hand i guess - so i can do either. I don't use divine shield on it's own at all anymore, just the div sac macro.
Mick wrote: I also notice you dont have Shield of Righteousness on your bars - how are you going to DPS on a fight like Gunship? Or do you actually heal that whole fight :)
I used to have every spell on a zillion bars. I cut them all out cause it was just clutter. I entertain myself on gunship by flying around the ship with my Jetpack lol. Those things do aoe dmg :D

Demandread
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post by Demandread » 17 Jun 2010, 21:44

App accepted, contact an officer for an invite

Mick
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post by Mick » 18 Jun 2010, 09:33

Yeah the reason for bars in the middle is its easier to see your character and any threats alot easier (i.e. void zones etc..) if you character is standing directly above your raid frames. I mean it is possible to do this with the bars on the left as i did it for a while like that - but its just easier now that everything is centered.

Yeah i just have everything bound to keys as you can see from my bars.

To avoid accidental clicks, i have put Divine Shield and Lay on Hands on the "G" key.

G = Divine Shield
Shift + G = Lay on Hands

Though its amazing how you dont mis click these types of things regardless. I mean i have judgement on the "4" key and i have BOP on the "5" key.

I have only once accidentally BOP'd the tank in a run and that was in a 5 man - considering i Judge every cooldown pretty much, thats alot of chances i have had to accidentally hit 5 over 4. So i think its pretty safe.

The keys is use are:
WSAD - Movement
1 -> 6 (6 is hard to hit so i have put Avenging Wrath on it as i dont use that alot)
Q E R F V C X Z G

Shift: 1 -> 4
Shift: Q E R F V C X Z G

28 keys in total - covers most spells / items

Anyway - Good to have you on board :)