Pax Australia - GO TIME!

Off-topic forum for jokes, funny sites,other games, pictures etc.
Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Pax Australia - GO TIME!

Post#1 » 29 Oct 2012, 10:30

Hey all,

PAX Expo (Penny Arcade) is coming to Australia in July 2013! www.paxaustralia.com.au

I'll be there for the 3 days with BYOC (bring your own computer) and can't wait.

Suggest having a catchup (read: pissup) one night with whoever else is coming?

If your interested, i'd suggest getting tickets asap - the 3 day passes are already over 50% soldout :)

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pax Australia - GO TIME!

Post#2 » 29 Oct 2012, 10:33

What actually happens at these event things?
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Beothel
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#3 » 29 Oct 2012, 10:50

I'm making the trip over the ditch for this, Saewyn and I already have our 3 day passes :D

What's the advantage of BYOC?
Guild Wars2 - Beothel (Sylvari Ranger), Ailtrai (Human Engi))
SW:TOR - Beothel (Sith Marauder), Illusia (Chiss Sniper)
LoTRO - Beothel (Human Lore-Master)
WAR - Beothel (Chaos Marauder)

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#4 » 29 Oct 2012, 11:22

BYOC is essentially a giant LAN - you get a desk space / power / lan port access in a secured area (aka they barcode and scan all your gear when it comes in, and it doesnt go out unless theres a good reason), and its locked down for the BYOC users.

You can play games, surf the web, and use the area as as an escape from the convention floor. There is also a huge 3 day tornament that you can enter if you want, that changes the games around, and ends on the final day as big playoff.

Here is the FAQ:
BYOC FAQ

Q: Who will be running B.Y.O.C. Australia?
A: At this time, we do not know who the manager or network/server team for the PC Room will be. Enforcers for sure! If you're interested in helping out as an Enforcer, Enforcer Registration will open in January.

Q: What does B.Y.O.C. stand for?
A: "Bring Your Own Computer" a dedicated, secure place within PAX that attendees who purchase the additional badge have the ability to bring their own computer into PAX and play with other PAX attendees! It's a gigantic LAN Party and a pretty awesome place to rest your feet when you get tired of walking around the convention!

Q: How do I purchase a BYOC Badge?
A: Badges are being sold during the PAX Australia Registration phase when you purchase your 3-Day or Single Day Badges. Unlike the US PAX'es, the BYOC badge is being sold bundled with a 3-Day Badge.

Q: How many BYOC Spots are available?
A: Final count of seats are not known at this time. As we approach the final months of planning, this will be revised.

Q: BYOC is sold out and I didn't get a pass! Are passes set aside for later purchase? What about cancellations?
A: We do not reserve any BYOC tickets for sale at a later date, so there are no additional tickets to be sold. If there are any cancellations, we may be able to, on an extremely limited basis, offer the cancelled tickets up for general purchase. Contact info at paxaustralia dot com dot au for specific inquiries.

Q: How much does BYOC cost?
A: AUD$175 per seat which includes the PAX 3-Day Badge.

Q: What time do you recommend (or require) people show up for BYOC check-in?
A: Check in will start at 8:00 AM, 2 hours before PAX opening on Friday. we aim to have it all complete about an hour before PAX opens, to give people an hour to get their stuff hooked up and ready.

Q: What hours does the BYOC run each day?
A: Historically, same hours as PAX, which for PAX Aus 2013 is 10AM - 11:30PM Friday and Saturday, and 10AM-6PM on Sunday. As more information about the venue is released, this will be updated.

Q: Do I leave my stuff in the LAN the whole time?
A: Yes. The room is guarded all during PAX and locked up at night. We are the first ones in and the last ones out. If you must take your stuff up (like a laptop) you need to check it out at the security desk as you leave and check it back in when you return.

Q: What games are typically played?
A: Whatever is popular this year. TF2, LoL, COD4/5/6/7/etc, WoW, Starcraft 2, Portal 2, Monday Night Combat, L4D2, etc. If you want to play a game you can find others that are up for it as well.

Q: If I get a spot for the BYOC, I don't need to commit to being in there the whole time, right? Just when I feel like relaxing and playing some games with people?
A: Correct, you aren't chained to your spot in BYOC. The majority of BYOC attendees are just there in-between the PAX events that they want to go see.

Q: Can I bring my 30+ something inch monitor/TV?
A: No. The max monitor size is 27" due to power and space constraints.

Q: Can I bring my own chair?
A: NO! Outside chairs are not allowed due to space constraints. Please use the chairs provided.

Q: Can I bring a laptop with my desktop?
A: Yes, as long as you stay within your 30" of table space. Although remember you only get one network port and two power ports per seat and you can't use your own power strips

Q: Can I bring a switch or my own power strip to increase that?
A: NO! No outside networking devices are allowed. Any spotted will be removed.
A: Daisy chaining power strips is a HUGE NO as well. Fire Marshall hates that so we need to enforce this pretty seriously. Sorry.

Q: Can I charge my iPhone, Android, iPad or other gadgets using power provided to my BYOC Seat?
A: No, you are only given two power outlets for all of your stuff. If you need to charge your phone or other device, bring a USB cable.

Q: Do I need to bring a network cable?
A: Yes. You will need a network cable to hook your computer up to the network switch at your table. Bring around a 25ft cable otherwise, depending where you are sitting, the switch may be out of your cables reach.

Q: I have a BYOC badge. Can I bring *insert friend/Girlfriend/spouse/random person here* who doesn't have a BYOC badge into BYOC with me?
A: No, Sorry. To ensure the security of everyone's personal equipment in a busy area such as PAX, only BYOC attendees are allowed into the BYOC room.

Q: Is there Internet in BYOC?
A: Yes there will be, although it will be locked down to prevent things like torrenting and throttled so not one person can use up all the bandwidth.

Q: But... how am I supposed to get my computer there?
A: Drive it! An alternate option which I have used to attend LANs that are far away, is to ship yourself your computer/monitor to your hotel you are staying at. If you call them and say you have a package coming they will hold it for you until you check-in. Just ship it back to yourself when PAX is over.

Q: Can I bring my xbox/playstation/nintendo console?
A: Sorry, no consoles allowed in here. This is a PC LAN. You can't being a console in addition either, those things use up a lot of power.

Q: Can I Bring a cooler in for drinks/snacks?
A: Yes but only small personal coolers /w no ice (use the frozen gelpacks). If it has more than one handle and/or wheels then it wont be allowed in (think lunch sized cooler).

Q: Can I email you my question?
A: Yes! Feel free to email PC Questions to info at paxaustralia dot com dot au

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#5 » 29 Oct 2012, 11:23

Secro wrote:What actually happens at these event things?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussi ... ns-here/p1

Im lazy :D

Beothel
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#6 » 29 Oct 2012, 11:30

FYI: 75% of the 3day passes are now sold out (according to the PAX Aus twitter)

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#7 » 29 Oct 2012, 11:39

Beothel wrote:FYI: 75% of the 3day passes are now sold out (according to the PAX Aus twitter)

Which is scary considering they expect upwards of 40,000 people to attend :p

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#8 » 29 Oct 2012, 12:08

hrm maybe I will go to the next one. I'd like to LAN and pwn people, but I havn't played any competitive online games for ages now :D

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#9 » 29 Oct 2012, 13:29

Secro wrote:hrm maybe I will go to the next one. I'd like to LAN and pwn people, but I havn't played any competitive online games for ages now :D

The LAN side of things is the secondary side - the actual convention is a massive gamer thing, its kinda like E3. Booths, new games, new tech, demonstrations, talks, famous meet n greets etc. The BYOC area is for you to chill out in between shows / events etc.

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#10 » 30 Oct 2012, 13:50

Speaking from my America PAX experience its a lot of standing in line but each time it was worth it. And i fucking hate lines.
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Beothel
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#11 » 30 Oct 2012, 17:57

Now 90% sold out of 3 day passes. Holy crap that's fast.

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#12 » 30 Oct 2012, 17:59

Beothel wrote:Now 90% sold out of 3 day passes. Holy crap that's fast.

We need more SCers! Brad come down for it!

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#13 » 30 Oct 2012, 18:05

Maybe for one day. :)

Beothel
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#14 » 31 Oct 2012, 08:56

3 day passes are sold out. Only BYOC and 1 day passes left.

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#15 » 31 Oct 2012, 09:44

Secro wrote:Maybe for one day. :)

Huzzah!

Beothel wrote:3 day passes are sold out. Only BYOC and 1 day passes left.

:(

Return to “General Discussion”