QLD Floods

Off-topic forum for jokes, funny sites,other games, pictures etc.
Maedhlyn
Epic!
Epic!

QLD Floods

Post by Maedhlyn » 11 Jan 2011, 13:28

How's everyone coping?

Just had to bail from work early as west end is flooding. Won't be able to go back tomorrow either, king tide is going to make things a lot worse..
Sig.

Sardius
Pandaren Monk
Pandaren Monk

Re: QLD Floods

Post by Sardius » 11 Jan 2011, 15:09

At work in Toowong here, will also be leaving early today, traffic has been mad on Corro drive though so have been waiting for that to die down. Will probably head off home in 1.5-2 hours, hopefully there's not too much water on the road between here and Chapel Hill.
Battle.Net ID: Penguins#1368

D3: Wizard/Crusader/everything, Clan <SC>

World of Warcraft
Kilrogg - Alliance

-RIP-
SW:TOR
Rift

aquilae
The Patient
The Patient

Post by aquilae » 11 Jan 2011, 17:40

Peldwar
Peldwyn
Kalerafiki

nucleon
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Post by nucleon » 11 Jan 2011, 19:59

Yeah I heard West End is going to have some issues.

BCC did some modelling on streets that could possibly have some issues due to flooding:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environ ... 19l56.html

Nice to know the street I'm on the corner of has potential issues. :)

-- Craig
CoV - Soundspeed (Son/Kin Cor)
CoH - Ms Taken (Storm/NRG Def) GoldenRock (Rock/Rock Tank)
WoW - Omikron (Druid) KappaOmikron (Shaman)

Maedhlyn
Epic!
Epic!

Post by Maedhlyn » 11 Jan 2011, 21:53

This is just down the road from my work.. My car is usually parked there.

And I took that photo before lunch time today, it was still rising.
Attachments
IMAG0147.jpg
IMAG0147.jpg (248.95 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
Sig.

Nazz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post by Nazz » 12 Jan 2011, 10:18

ack! hope you guys are all doing ok.

Sardius
Pandaren Monk
Pandaren Monk

Post by Sardius » 12 Jan 2011, 11:19

No drama's for me, no water at all near my place. Sadly at work at our DR site in Taringa today, though it's supposed to flood here as well :P

World of Warcraft
Kilrogg - Alliance

-RIP-
Rift

nitrofenix
LotRO Kinship Leader
LotRO Kinship Leader

Post by nitrofenix » 13 Jan 2011, 01:20

This was the scene in Caboolture on Tuesday, though the waters have subsided by now and things are looking pretty good.

LOTRO: Ohtarwen, lv71 Champ / Valaena, lv71 Warden / Meldariel, lv60 LM / Durandir, lv44 Hunter / Penni, lv43 Healbot

Fellhahn
Warchief
Warchief

Post by Fellhahn » 18 Jan 2011, 17:03

Just came off 3 days of cleanup duty, mostly around Chelmer (just south of Indro). Friggin' hard work and the destruction blows you away, if you haven't been in to volunteer, the news programs won't cut it for properly portraying how bad it is.
Take a look around your home, now imagine every physical thing you own, every piece of electronics, every bit of furniture, every memento or sentimental item, has been submerged, smashed and covered in stinking mud. Try to picture your house if a giant picked it up and shook it like a child does a Christmas present. The physics of it escape me but the insides of peoples homes look like they were hit with an earthquake and a flood, I didn't realise the water could have so much force behind it even inside a sealed home. The first house we came into, I thought "Hmm this'll be tricky, how do I know what the owner wants to keep?" It took me a while to realise they weren't keeping a single thing, the entire contents of the house were being dragged to the curb to be thrown in the tip. Speaking of dragging, do you know how friggin heavy a mattress is after it's been underwater? :S
Then on top of that you have to smash all the plasterboard off the walls to pull out the sodden insulation, and if you're real unlucky, the roof as well. If your in a brick home, your basically left with a concrete shell. If your house was weatherboard and pine beams, you might as well bulldoze the lot. There aren't enough electricians in the country to get power restored to everyone in any kind of reasonable timeframe.

If you know anyone that owns a bobcat, bake him your finest cake, as they are the undisputed saviors of the aftermath cleanup. Garbage is piled along the curb at head height for the entire length of some streets, everything is colored brown and the smell could make you hurl, it's like a scene out of a world vision ad, all that's missing is the little starving black baby covered in flies.

Waiting out now to see where my unit gets sent next.

Sardius
Pandaren Monk
Pandaren Monk

Post by Sardius » 18 Jan 2011, 18:12

Great work helping out Fell, I'm signing up to help out this weekend with my brother who just got back from Gladstone. Gonna be a long weekend I think, but ah well, was lucky enough to avoid anything near my place so need to get out and help the poor bastards who weren't so lucky.

World of Warcraft
Kilrogg - Alliance

-RIP-
Rift

Pantiera
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post by Pantiera » 19 Jan 2011, 22:32

good work fell and sard, must be a good feeling being able to help out!!! I would if i was up there, for sure! but stuck in tassie. :(
+--Panti--+

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post by Fitz » 20 Jan 2011, 07:23

Pantiera wrote:good work fell and sard, must be a good feeling being able to help out!!! I would if i was up there, for sure! but stuck in tassie. :(
Don't worry, sooner or later you'll crash into Antarctica, then people who actually live in Australia can come help you!

Bon voyage Independent Kingdom of Tasmania! :D

Maedhlyn
Epic!
Epic!

Post by Maedhlyn » 20 Jan 2011, 16:30

4 days of just solidly lifting boxes.. and our warehouse is almost back to normal.. Really hope this doesn't happen again. :(

Never been so exhausted.. Just glad I didn't lose anything myself. I hope that flood appeal keeps getting donations, must be close to 100mil now.
Sig.

wazari
I Am Legendary
I Am Legendary

Post by wazari » 20 Jan 2011, 16:38

@Fell - awesome effort mate!!

@Maed - we're having a cake stall at work on Monday, all proceeds to the flood appeal. Gonna buy me some lamingtons man!
wazari | irazaw | wazaro | orazaw

bnet - Wazari#6219

#1 Countrist in the world!

ǝɯ ʇou 'uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹɐ noʎ

nitrofenix
LotRO Kinship Leader
LotRO Kinship Leader

Post by nitrofenix » 21 Jan 2011, 18:26

Maedhlyn wrote:Never been so exhausted.. Just glad I didn't lose anything myself. I hope that flood appeal keeps getting donations, must be close to 100mil now.
Pretty sure I heard someone quote $127 million today...
LOTRO: Ohtarwen, lv71 Champ / Valaena, lv71 Warden / Meldariel, lv60 LM / Durandir, lv44 Hunter / Penni, lv43 Healbot