LF all Aquarist

Off-topic forum for jokes, funny sites,other games, pictures etc.
Syleena
High Overlord
High Overlord

LF all Aquarist

Post by Syleena » 27 May 2010, 10:07

hehe bit of a random topic.. anyways.

I have a fish tank set up and was wondering if anyone here knows much about freshwater aquariums? What are the best fish, easy or hard to care for, cycling and tankmates. I've been reading heaps online, but some of the info can be so contradicting. So i'm hoping to find someone who i can take their word for lols, coz we all know we can't always trust the salesman's coz some just wanna make a quick buck ><

So yea LF ALL AQUARIST! <3

WoW - Sylestine 80 Druid
WoW - Caelestria 80 Mage
WoW - Lilsunshine 80 Pally
WoW - Samariah 80 Warlock
WoW - Syleena 80 Rogue

simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Re: LF all Aquarist

Post by simonsmp » 27 May 2010, 13:29

Tropical or normal? I have a bit of experience with tropical freshwater fish :)
Add me on Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/Simonsmp/
Simonsmp for Prime Minister
DPS Paladin!

Syleena
High Overlord
High Overlord

Post by Syleena » 27 May 2010, 14:55

Tropical fish as they are soo... pretty ^_^
Um when you set your aquarium up did you cycle it first? and which is the best way to cycle?

WoW - Sylestine 80 Druid
WoW - Caelestria 80 Mage
WoW - Syleena 80 Rogue

Demandread
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post by Demandread » 27 May 2010, 15:21

clockwise

simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Post by simonsmp » 27 May 2010, 21:23

Yeah you have to leave it for a couple of days before you put fishies in, otherwise they will die straight away. Set it all up, put all the chemicals you have to in, and run it, including the filter and everything, for at least 2 days. Then go buy heaps of fish! Neon tetra's are awesome cheap and last for ages! Guppies are fun too. This was so long ago, barely remember the names hahaha. As for cyclic direction, I can't really remember, I think it was clockwise :)
Add me on Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/Simonsmp/
Simonsmp for Prime Minister
DPS Paladin!

Kaidagar
Pandaren Monk
Pandaren Monk

Post by Kaidagar » 28 May 2010, 09:04

Firstly how large is your tank? You will also want to make choices about your fish based on aggression levels too. Some gouramis’ can be quite aggressive and will chase more passive fish to death. You will want some time out area's (holes in ornaments ect) for your fish to hide from others.

If you want an interesting looking tank you'll probably want a mix of bottom, middle and top dwellers. Not all fish swim around the tank, for example Tetras will mostly stick towards the top/middle of the tank, whereas a lot of the tank cleaning fish stick towards the bottom, and will in fact only feed from the bottom of the tank so floating pellets can be annoying.

Yeah a day or two for your filter should be fine as long as you've used water conditioner first, also make sure you have the right PH for your chosen fish, goldfish ect can tolerate much more acidic water, most tropical fish will prefer a neutral PH level. Some fish like Oscars will produce a high amount of ammonia so you will need to keep a watchful eye on the PH levels in the tank, once a week should be fine.

You'll also want to ensure that you have a heater in your tank, I think a decent one only costs around $30-$40, you'd have to double check but if I remember the average tropical fish likes temps somewhere between 18-24 degrees Celsius, although some species prefer it a little warmer, I think you'd be safe in to 20 degrees area.

What type of filter are you using? Also does the tank have natural plants? Some fish will shred the plants in days (Oscars) and make the tank dirty very quickly; depending on the size of the tank you might also need some sort of a bubble pump to keep the oxygen levels high enough in the tank itself.

Well I seem to have rambled on a bit here, I have kept quite a few tanks over the years and am looking at revamping my current tank, I haven't done much with it since my beautiful Oscar died, currently it supports one ugly gold fish.

I think I'll just make a quick update to my first post rather than another;

You will lose fish, this will happen, don't get disheartened by it. You are supposed to keep each new fish, or new school, isolated in a seperate tank to your main tank for 30 days before introducing the new fish in, this makes sure they have no signs of disease. I never really did this because I found it too long and it was more of a hobby than a job for me, so if you're going to be introducing new fish fairly quickly then you will most likely at some stage get disease through the tank, you'll want to have a broad spectrum antidisease medication.

Some fish suggestions that I have found work well and don't conflict too much are:

Tetras these are great fish, especially if you have a nice overhead tank light to really illuminate them.

Silver Dollars these are disk fish, and I have always found them quite nice to watch, the are middle/top swimmers but don't mind feeding from anywehere so they're great, if they get overly large though they may become a little aggressive to the smaller fish.

Gouramis, I love these both normal and dwarf versions, although I have to mention they are not rated as overly aggressive fish, I always seem to have aggressive ones, get two or more as they tend to stick together in the tank.

Striped tiger sharks, there a few different varietys in the shark areas, they're not real sharks obviously buthave a sort top fin. They are bottom feeders and help clean the tank, non agressive and come in a few species with silver colouring to orange and black.

Eel fish, I can't remember the name off the top of my head but they basically look and swim like eels, also bottom feeders but they like to hide in sand/rocks at the bottom of the tank so often they won't be visible unless looking for them.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oscars, my favourite fish so far, but does not work well with most other fish unless they too are agressive fish. They are agressive and can grow to quite large size if they have the space and food. They will dig up the tank rocks, make the water dirty, rip plants apart (they don't eat them, just break them) and produce alot of amonia so you have to clean the water and filter regularly. They will eat any fish small enough to fit into thier mouths and they have large mouths. You can feed them live food as well, mine used to love eating crickets and frogs.

Syleena
High Overlord
High Overlord

Post by Syleena » 29 May 2010, 15:38

Last Saturday I set my tank up and ran it for a day. I put water conditioner and also some helpful bacteria stuff to help speed up the cycling process. I put my baby betta in on day 2.
Everything seems good. Other than he ripped his fin on one of the plants I had in the tank and scraped a couple scales off on the log =[ (i took the plant and log out). He's also a little stressed from the ammonia bloom. Been doing regular water changes to keep ammonia under 0.5 I also gave him a little salt and turned the temp up by 1 degree (24 to 25C) which made him seem to feel better, in fact I think he's enjoying the extra heat haha. He's still swimming, eating and acting like normal.
I've been testing the water levels everyday (is that too often?) and all the readings are coming up safe
pH 7.0
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nitrite 0.25 ppm
and nitrate is still at zero

how long is it going to take for the nitrite levels to hit zero? and is there anything else I can do to speed up the cycling process?

WoW - Sylestine 80 Druid
WoW - Caelestria 80 Mage
WoW - Syleena 80 Rogue

Kaidagar
Pandaren Monk
Pandaren Monk

Post by Kaidagar » 30 May 2010, 18:52

depending on your water it way never reach 0% cleanly, you probebly only need to test the water once a week unless you have a large amount of fish in the tank, it doesn't seem like they're at high levels so I wouldn't worry too much. My only concern would be his fin, torn fins can lead to a disease, but unless he starts acting listless or floating more than swimming I wouldn't treat him with anything.

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post by Fitz » 02 Jun 2010, 00:59

I had a black shark in my tank..we named him Jaws after he systematically hunted down and hassled / ate the 20 other fish in his area over a few month period.. took him into the sin bin area away from others so he would forget he was top dog..worked fine for 2 weeks..then his homicidal tendancies came back.. oh well hes the only one left now :P

Syleena
High Overlord
High Overlord

Post by Syleena » 03 Jun 2010, 14:09

Hehe im prepared for my little one to be chasing around and being a little aggressive towards the smaller fish, i'm even prepared to separate them if I have to. But getting more fish won't be for a while, atleast till the natural biofilter is there.

His fin seems to be healing already. The tissue where he torn his fin is already starting to look better! Tho I've started to notice the first signs of fin rot, tiny tiny bits of white on his bottom fin =[ Question now is what do I do? Ive read to treat him with melafix, tho I also read that it can irritate them coz the meds are too strong for their breathing organ.
Any of you had betta's before? and know if it will harm him?

WoW - Sylestine 80 Druid
WoW - Caelestria 80 Mage
WoW - Syleena 80 Rogue

Kaidagar
Pandaren Monk
Pandaren Monk

Post by Kaidagar » 04 Jun 2010, 10:19

I generally used the broad spectrum medication becaue it may not nessisarily be the disease you suspect. If you go this option though you need to make sure there is plenty of oxygen in the tank for him. you'd also need to pretty much remove the filters for a few days because they will filter the medication, especially charcoal ones.