Survey on VG Features

Off-topic forum for jokes, funny sites,other games, pictures etc.
MJ
WoW Officer
WoW Officer

Survey on VG Features

Post by MJ » 03 Nov 2009, 16:57

Hey guys, as you can see below Dan has asked us to fill out a survey to help him with his study. I'd encourage anyone with 10 minutes spare to fill it out since it will put you in the draw for $100. Who can say no to free money?

++++++++++++

Hi everyone,

I'm a psych PhD student from the University of Adelaide, I'm doing a questionnaire on features in video games and I would really welcome your help.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=r ... Mcig%3d%3d

Being a gamer myself, I'm interested in what different people enjoy about the games they play. This is not one of those surveys that attempts to make links between violent games and aggression. There are a few Qs about playing video games excessively because it does affect a very small minority but the focus of this survey is what normal, regular gamers enjoy about the games they play, what they think is important, and what makes them play longer. There are no "trick" questions.

Takes about 10-12 mins. By doing the survey, you'll enter a draw to win $100. That's my (admittedly, limited) way of saying thanks. I do really appreciate this.

FYI this is a completely unfunded project that I am doing in my spare time (using my own money). It is a bit of a pilot study (I think some Qs need some adjusting but data will help in that process) I hope you find it interesting - I will share the results at a later time if you request them.

Sorry if this message breaks forum posting rules - I understand if it needs to be deleted. I mean no disrespect to the mods or the community here on the site.

Please contact me/reply if you have any questions or feedback. More than happy to have a chat about anything gaming-related.

Okay - enough text. Thanks for your help!

Dan.
ImageImage

Spoticus
Warchief
Warchief

Re: Survey on VG Features

Post by Spoticus » 03 Nov 2009, 17:13

better let him know that he needs to up the max number of hours on the PC from 10 if he expects accurate answers ;)
SWG - Wookiee Tailor & Dark Jedi || DAoC - Merc CoH - Scrapper || CoV - Ninja MM
EQ2 - Jeweler || GW Wa/Me & Mo/Ne WoW - Warlock/Jeweller || LotRO - Champion/Armourer
WAR - Marauder, Choppa

Daniel_King
Keyboard Turner

Post by Daniel_King » 04 Nov 2009, 11:03

Hmmm...that's a good point. It's easy to rack up 12 hours on a weekend if you play from 8am til 10pm (and factor in meal breaks).

When Oblivion came out in 2006, I put over 50 hours into it in 3 days but that wasn't a typical week. Same goes for LAN party binges, they're not "typical" (unless you go every week, which most gamers don't).

Rest assured that if you only report to play 10 hours every day, you'll still be considered to be in the top 5% of the sample. :)

Spoticus
Warchief
Warchief

Post by Spoticus » 04 Nov 2009, 16:54

yeah my case isnt typical but for a lot of the last year I was suffering from pretty severe illness. Long story short I had months where 22-23 hours a day doing something game related was normal.
SWG - Wookiee Tailor & Dark Jedi || DAoC - Merc CoH - Scrapper || CoV - Ninja MM
EQ2 - Jeweler || GW Wa/Me & Mo/Ne WoW - Warlock/Jeweller || LotRO - Champion/Armourer
WAR - Marauder, Choppa

Daniel_King
Keyboard Turner

Post by Daniel_King » 05 Nov 2009, 08:06

Spoticus wrote:yeah my case isnt typical but for a lot of the last year I was suffering from pretty severe illness. Long story short I had months where 22-23 hours a day doing something game related was normal.
Good suggestion. It could be handy to include a question like "Are there any current circumstances that you believe influence your current gaming patterns?" With a box to record health/personal/injury/job-related etc. and the time period.

Daniel_King
Keyboard Turner

Post by Daniel_King » 05 Nov 2009, 14:37

Last thing - survey will be open until 20th of November 2009.

Thanks!