Dragon Age 2

As much as we hate to admit it, we don't all play MMO's 24/7...

Moderators: Kashak, Spyder, Secro

Spoticus
Warchief
Warchief

Dragon Age 2

Post#1 » 23 Feb 2011, 19:05

Anyone played the demo? Pretty much everything I've read has seemed like a move away from what I love about BG/DAO.

Anyone tried it out the demo and want to fill us in?
SWG - Wookiee Tailor & Dark Jedi || DAoC - Merc CoH - Scrapper || CoV - Ninja MM
EQ2 - Jeweler || GW Wa/Me & Mo/Ne WoW - Warlock/Jeweller || LotRO - Champion/Armourer
WAR - Marauder, Choppa

Zoobs
Blademaster
Blademaster

Re: Dragon Age 2

Post#2 » 23 Feb 2011, 19:39

downloading as we speak :twisted:
Last edited by Zoobs on 23 Feb 2011, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#3 » 23 Feb 2011, 19:39

at 85%

Kash was playing it :P
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Zoobs
Blademaster
Blademaster

Post#4 » 23 Feb 2011, 20:28

10 mins into the demo , shuts down back to desktop.

Great start.

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#5 » 23 Feb 2011, 21:16

It looks way better than #1.it also has some nifty dx11 pretties. You can tell EA gave Bioware a bit more budget for #2.

Combat animations are far improved. Dunno so much about the hero talking. The mass effect style dialouge wheel is an improvement.
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Zoobs
Blademaster
Blademaster

Post#6 » 23 Feb 2011, 21:26

is it just me or does it kind of lag once you select your chosen dialogue?

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 » 23 Feb 2011, 21:35

Not sure about this one.

I liked how Dragon Age was a bit more traditional in combat to an RPG. This feels a bit more towards the action side with the hoards of monsters and you blowing some away in 2 hits.

The graphics is an improvement, no doubt about that. It does look a little towards the cartoony side, boobs are enourmos as per standard of video games.

Don't like Hawks voice, or how the characters move their lips/jaws to speak. It looks weird.

Happy they kept looting/loot/items pretty much the same, but you can't access the inventory in the demo to really check it all out.

Magic/skills menu/allocation are pretty much the same, but that's ok.

Not sure if there is special classes you can unlock in this one either, anyone read anything?

Spoticus
Warchief
Warchief

Post#8 » 23 Feb 2011, 21:44

I will try find time to play tomorrow, hopefully it will still be good despite the changes, don't think I will be getting it at launch though and I am a massive Bioware fan.

Main thing for me is the stuff about DA I loved was the older style features. Playing your own character not just Shepherd/Hawke etc, Tactical combat (top down) instead of arcadey, dialog choices instead of a good/bad/stupid wheel etc.

Anyway thanks for the impressions!
SWG - Wookiee Tailor & Dark Jedi || DAoC - Merc CoH - Scrapper || CoV - Ninja MM
EQ2 - Jeweler || GW Wa/Me & Mo/Ne WoW - Warlock/Jeweller || LotRO - Champion/Armourer
WAR - Marauder, Choppa

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#9 » 24 Feb 2011, 11:07

You cant zoom out as far as DA1 but its not that bad on DA2 (if you on PC, NFI why anyone would go console on this one). Definitely arcadier but Im pretty sure they are sticking with the lots of cannon fodder plus a couple of hard mobs formula of before.

Always so hard to tell from a demo but Bioware have never let me down.
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Battousai
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post#10 » 24 Feb 2011, 16:17

Kashak wrote:Always so hard to tell from a demo but Bioware have never let me down.

THIS
Currently - .... Dota2?

Too damn damn RPGS - Usually Battousai/Exkalibur toons.

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#11 » 24 Feb 2011, 16:41

Yeah, I think I'll just buy it and hope it's ok.

But it wasn't the best demo imo :P

Reiyhn
Grunt

Post#12 » 24 Feb 2011, 20:11

Im not a fan of the new fast-paced gameplay - they just chuck you straight into it without introducing any skills too - was fumbling around for a bit.

Will probably still give the full version a go - if just for the storyline.

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#13 » 24 Feb 2011, 20:22

Pre-ordered on Steam. :P

I played again and you do start to get used to DA2's style. Wether you like traditional or faster paced, it's still going to be a good game regardless :)

I played through again as a mage this time. Holy crap ..... the AOE sure is nice. I noticed it doesn't hit your team this time? Unless the demo is in easy mode :P

Spoticus
Warchief
Warchief

Post#14 » 25 Feb 2011, 06:34

I am pretty sure there is no friendly fire on normal in DAO either Secro, should be FF on harder difs I hope (but at the speed everything moves it may be harder to avoid it).

Tried to play the demo last night but it was pretty buggy for me. Party member pathing kept bugging out and it crashed after about 20-30 mins of play :(
WAR - Marauder, Choppa

aquilae
The Patient
The Patient

Post#15 » 26 Feb 2011, 11:49

It's very different to the original, and seemingly strays down the path towards "action" gaming........ But I trust Bioware implicitly, and will definitely be picking it up!
Peldwar
Peldwyn
Kalerafiki