Red Alert3 - Uprising?

As much as we hate to admit it, we don't all play MMO's 24/7...

Moderators: Kashak, Spyder, Secro

nucleon
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Red Alert3 - Uprising?

Post by nucleon » 24 Apr 2009, 23:23

Is this able to be purchased in a physical box?

Otherwise it's 5GB download - can't afford the quota.

-- Craig
CoV - Soundspeed (Son/Kin Cor)
CoH - Ms Taken (Storm/NRG Def) GoldenRock (Rock/Rock Tank)
WoW - Omikron (Druid) KappaOmikron (Shaman)

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Red Alert3 - Uprising?

Post by Secro » 25 Apr 2009, 01:11

Where is a 5GB download for this game? I'm assuming it's a legal download.

I didn't think it was released yet tbh, was expecting a box copy.

edit: yeah, looks like it's a download only.

I heard insider rumors on the real boxed expansion last year, so was suprised when I read about this a month or two ago.
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

nucleon
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Post by nucleon » 25 Apr 2009, 10:30

Secro wrote:Where is a 5GB download for this game? I'm assuming it's a legal download.

I didn't think it was released yet tbh, was expecting a box copy.

edit: yeah, looks like it's a download only.

I heard insider rumors on the real boxed expansion last year, so was suprised when I read about this a month or two ago.

Yeah it seems that it's only available as a legal download.

I find it interesting EA did this _first_. Usually it's boxed game then the download. I wouldn't be suprised if EB and the like are quite annoyed.

-- Craig

Chrien
Herald of the Titans
Herald of the Titans

Post by Chrien » 25 Apr 2009, 21:59

Digital distrubution is becoming more and more acceptable, you only have to look at the popularity and success of services such as steam/impluse/gog to see evidence of this. If big publishing houses such as EA can cut out the middleman they will increase their profit margins substantially.
Chrien
"You've gotta make decisions, you've gotta keep making decisions, even if they're wrong decisions. If you don't make decisions you're stuffed" - Joe Simpson
Currently Playing: World of Warcraft
Current Character: Khrien - Druid - Horde Khaz-goroth

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Secro » 26 Apr 2009, 00:12

Steam is also a middle man :)
Steam isn't stupid, and neither are EA. Notice the games are almost full retail price still? The savings of cutting out phyiscal copies aren't being passed to the consumer, that's for sure.
Not to mention localising the prices, thought games cost more here because of all the format changing, shipping, distribution? Didn't realise they had those issues with digital copies!
Publishers are still taking us for a ride, and the industry as well, likely.
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Chrien
Herald of the Titans
Herald of the Titans

Post by Chrien » 27 Apr 2009, 09:26

Yes but EA has its own download service Secro.

So if they sell the game through their service they are cutting out the middleman. The fact that they can sell the product for the same price as they would if they went through a retailer is what they want. Its win win for them.

Digital distrubtion is not about saving the customer money, its about ease of access. Its about seeing something online you want to play and just buying it over the net and downloading it, having it in a couple of hours (obviously not the case in Australia, but consider countries with better broadband infrastructure) and being able to play it. No need to go to the store or any of the associated hassle.
Chrien
"You've gotta make decisions, you've gotta keep making decisions, even if they're wrong decisions. If you don't make decisions you're stuffed" - Joe Simpson

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kashak » 28 Apr 2009, 12:20

I am better off driving 5 minutes to my local JBHIFI than buy off steam or any digital distributor in 90% of cases. I save money due to the games online being in $US and our exchange rate being pretty bad right now. I save bandwidth. I have a CD backup .

If steam was price competitive I'd get all my games from there. Its not so I won't.

As for publisher specific downloaders.... urgh my experience with EA's thing was just AWFUL.
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Spoticus
Warchief
Warchief

Post by Spoticus » 28 Apr 2009, 12:30

Internode and maybe Telstra have unmetered steam downloads off the right servers. So in those cases many games come out much cheaper off steam. Depends on the publisher usually as some games you cant get at the US price.

Even if its not cheaper digital distribution options are usually available easier/sooner than a lot of retail games in Australia.
SWG - Wookiee Tailor & Dark Jedi || DAoC - Merc CoH - Scrapper || CoV - Ninja MM
EQ2 - Jeweler || GW Wa/Me & Mo/Ne WoW - Warlock/Jeweller || LotRO - Champion/Armourer
WAR - Marauder, Choppa

Chrien
Herald of the Titans
Herald of the Titans

Post by Chrien » 28 Apr 2009, 17:17

Kashak wrote:I am better off driving 5 minutes to my local JBHIFI than buy off steam or any digital distributor in 90% of cases. I save money due to the games online being in $US and our exchange rate being pretty bad right now. I save bandwidth. I have a CD backup .

If steam was price competitive I'd get all my games from there. Its not so I won't.

As for publisher specific downloaders.... urgh my experience with EA's thing was just AWFUL.

Yes but they're not developing it for Australia, they're developing it for the US audience where they don't have download caps and where its alot quicker to download it.
Chrien

nucleon
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Post by nucleon » 10 Jun 2009, 21:44

Anyone play the expansion yet?

-- Craig

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post by Fitz » 11 Jun 2009, 08:26

Nope. Still don't want to burn such a huge download to buy it. Waiting for box. If it ever comes.