Wireless modem router

Got a question to ask of a technical nature? Want to show off your new PC specs? This forum is open to all users of the SC forums.
Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Re: Wireless modem router

Post#16 » 25 Nov 2012, 10:38

Cable it if possible, boosters are crap bandaid fixes to a bigger issue

Sovaka
LotRO Officer
LotRO Officer

Post#17 » 01 Dec 2012, 10:55

Or since you haven't had it for long, take the router back and buy a Billion?

Here is a Dual-Band version if you didn't want to go with the older model;
[url]http://www.itsdirect.com.au/products/BiPAC-7800VDPX-Dual-band-Wireless-N-ADSL2--VoIP-Firewall-Router-[BIPAC7800VDPX]/view/detail/category_id/81/Product_ID/20858/sub_category/487/[/url]
Note also that this modem is somewhat future proofed as it is NBN compliant.

But if you can be bothered getting the rooms wired with Ethernet, obviously the better choice.
Designing my own game still...
Codename: Planetarian
Aussie Genesis | Ogre3D Dev Thread

Thebigman
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#18 » 01 Dec 2012, 15:45

Thanks boys. Appreciate your time in answering my questions.

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#19 » 18 Dec 2012, 08:32

+1 for BLUE CABLES BLUE CABLES EVERYWHERE!!!! My god i hate wireless. So damn slow and ethernet just works. every damn time.
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#20 » 18 Dec 2012, 11:14

Kashak wrote:+1 for BLUE CABLES BLUE CABLES EVERYWHERE!!!! My god i hate wireless. So damn slow and ethernet just works. every damn time.

Its painful if you haven't done it at the build stage of your house tho...one of these days I'll do mine but have to get into the roof cavity, but 115kg body + confined space + arachnophobic = OMFGITSONMEKILLITAHH as I fall through the plasterboard...

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#21 » 18 Dec 2012, 12:48

<-- House on peirs. Was super easy running everything under the floor except for one PC thats in a spot I just cant get under. Waiting for the wireless USB dongle to 'boot up' drives me nuts!!! House is old too or otherwise id be using power over ethernet (tried it already)

I really should get up into teh roof but theres 50-60 years worth of dust up there.
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur

Thebigman
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#22 » 18 Dec 2012, 18:35

Yeah, I am going to get an electrician to pull a cable under the house as well. It's my Xmas present.

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#23 » 19 Dec 2012, 14:24

Nice. Spend the extra $50 and get the good cable
Steam Surg3on / Kashak

Thebigman
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#24 » 19 Dec 2012, 15:00

Which one is that Kash?

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#25 » 19 Dec 2012, 15:03

Cat6 > Cat5 esp given everyones loaded up with gigabit equipment these days. I think I picked up basic Cat5 when I did mine but would have been better off with Cat6 as its certified for gigabit.

Anyway this guy explains the difference
http://www.networkcablingdirectory.com/ ... d_1151.htm
Steam Surg3on / Kashak

Thebigman
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#26 » 19 Dec 2012, 18:32

Thanks Kash. Now I need to find an electrician who understand how easy it is to do and won't reap me off.

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#27 » 27 Dec 2012, 10:34

LOL good luck with that
Steam Surg3on / Kashak

Spoticus
Warchief
Warchief

Post#28 » 27 Jun 2013, 22:45

hah just saw this thread, I used to spend ~5hrs a day running ethernet cables from a roof to a wall point in existing buildings. Had access to all the gear and cheap wholesale component prices etc, and still never bothered to wire up my house. Was always going to do it, but seriously climbing in roof spaces/under houses is such a pain if you're not getting paid...

also you're meant to be certified before doing it yourself, but seeing as it looks like some people here seem to be a bit DIY, keep the cable/outlets at least 30cm from power. And if you are running it from your roof the easiest home made way to get the cable through is to get some string and tie a nut (or something else suitable heavy) to the end, drop that down the wall cavity and pull that through the hole then tie/tape your cable to the string and pull the cable back up. 99% of the time best done on an internal wall when possible. Much less hassle if you have two people.

AFAIK uncertified cabling can affect your insurance, has large fines (i think it applies more to if you touch your phone line etc but I can't be bothered checking the details), also obviously safety if you have no clue what you are doing ;)
SWG - Wookiee Tailor & Dark Jedi || DAoC - Merc CoH - Scrapper || CoV - Ninja MM
EQ2 - Jeweler || GW Wa/Me & Mo/Ne WoW - Warlock/Jeweller || LotRO - Champion/Armourer
WAR - Marauder, Choppa

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#29 » 06 Aug 2013, 12:50

Spoticus wrote:AFAIK uncertified cabling can affect your insurance, has large fines (i think it applies more to if you touch your phone line etc but I can't be bothered checking the details), also obviously safety if you have no clue what you are doing ;)

yeh fully aware of that. My house was owned by a DIY guy so half the house is uncertified. seriously... up in the roof is dangerous looking.
Steam Surg3on / Kashak

simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Post#30 » 13 Aug 2013, 14:15

Only just saw this thread again - if it's not resolved Bigman, have you looked into the magic wonders of Power over Ethernet? I had a similar problem when I moved in to where I am now, my desktop PC couldn't pick up the signal of the router (I think it was my network card but anyway), bought two of these bad boys, haven't had any problems since! Around $99 I got some dlink think from officeworks, would be cheaper than the hundreds it would cost to run a new data point to another room :)

Edit: Spelling and wording
Add me on Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/Simonsmp/
Simonsmp for Prime Minister
DPS Paladin!

Return to “Tech Forum”