Can't find a driver I need

Got a question to ask of a technical nature? Want to show off your new PC specs? This forum is open to all users of the SC forums.
Beothel
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Can't find a driver I need

Post#1 » 19 May 2012, 17:17

I've had to format and reinstall windows on my desktop, but I'm missing a driver for Network Controller and can't seem to find the right one anywhere. Just wondering if anyone would know how the hell I can find what I need?

Network Controller is the only one in device manager to have that little yellow ! , stating that the drivers for this device are not installed. I believe i just need to install drivers for the PCI card, but I have NFI what ones to get or where to get them.
Guild Wars2 - Beothel (Sylvari Ranger), Ailtrai (Human Engi))
SW:TOR - Beothel (Sith Marauder), Illusia (Chiss Sniper)
LoTRO - Beothel (Human Lore-Master)
WAR - Beothel (Chaos Marauder)

simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Re: Can't find a driver I need

Post#2 » 20 May 2012, 02:05

I reinstalled windows recently and it was on the CD that came with my motherboard, you don't by chance have that laying around do you?

Otherwise I'd google either your motherboard or your network controller (I think it usually has a name and number) and try your luck finding those drivers.
Add me on Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/Simonsmp/
Simonsmp for Prime Minister
DPS Paladin!

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#3 » 20 May 2012, 11:02

It might be a dialup modem driver - they can often disguise themselves as network rather than comms, or is it a wifi driver (assuming you have a wifi adaptor/card).

But really when it comes down to it, if you can access the web (ie the NIC is working), then really you can ignore it :P

Silurin
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post#4 » 20 May 2012, 21:20

if desktop:
1) open your computer case, look on motherboard for model info and also look at the info printed on the top of the chips.
2) goto manufacturers website and download all drivers for the board, look for any network/communication/chipset devices (as fitz said it may not necessarily be the onboard NIC) - knowing what actual chips you have soldered to the m/b can be handy at this point (as suggested in #1) as some of the drivers may differ or support multiple versions of a device
3) install and be happy
if laptop:
1) goto manufacturers website and d/l all drivers and install - if they have a downloadable driver disk get that and let it do it all automagically
LOTRO - Elendilmir : The Secret World : Guild Wars 2 - IoJ : WoW - Dath'Remar : DDO - Khyber : AoC - Bloodspire : WAR - Ironclaw
Silyth - Lvl 85 Warden : Silurin Maelhach - Lvl 70 Champion : Falyme - Chaos/AR : Falyme - Warrior : Falyme - Lvl 70 Undead Rogue : Rajeal - Lvl 9 Bard / 2 Rogue : Dralion - Lvl 74 Tempest of Set : Skelm - Lvl 28 Disciple of Khaine

Beothel
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#5 » 22 May 2012, 16:57

Turns out there wasn't a wireless element to whatever I had in there, it was previously all done through an external adapter. I originally bought it through a friend at a local netcafe and he forgot to include the driver disk for the adapter, which is all I needed -_-

Beothel
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#6 » 22 May 2012, 16:57

Turns out there wasn't a wireless element to whatever I had in there, it was previously all done through an external adapter. I originally bought it through a friend at a local netcafe and he forgot to include the driver disk for the adapter, which is all I needed -_-