I'm buying a new computer hooray

Got a question to ask of a technical nature? Want to show off your new PC specs? This forum is open to all users of the SC forums.
simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

I'm buying a new computer hooray

Post#1 » 20 Apr 2012, 17:17

Hello friends,

The time has come to upgrade. Unfortunately I don't play much computer games anymore, apparently becoming an architect/construction manager takes all of my time. But I do want my computer to run them, and mine is like 5 years old now. Cbf building it like my old one, but I found this one prebuilt:

Processor Intel Core i7 3820 3.6Ghz
Memory Kingston 8G DDR3 1600Mhz HyperX
Motherboard Asrock X79 Exteme 3
Graphics Card Gigabyte 1G GTX550 Ti
Hard Drive Seagate 1TB SATA3
Optical Drive DVD Multi-Writer
Case Coolermaster HAF 912A
Power Supply Thermaltake ToughPower XT 775W
Wireless Wireless N 300M

My only concern is the graphics card. This is quoted as an 'elite gaming PC', and priced at $1,266 tower only. Reckon that card will be enough to get me through another 5 years? Any other thoughts?

Simon
Add me on Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/Simonsmp/
Simonsmp for Prime Minister
DPS Paladin!

Demandread
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Re: I'm buying a new computer hooray

Post#2 » 20 Apr 2012, 18:58

hmmmm really dont think that is a well balanced system for a gaming PC. Overkill on the CPU / chipset and a bit underpowerd on the gfx card.

I would wait a couple of weeks for ivy bridge and get a z77 chipset and a better gfx card

simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Post#3 » 21 Apr 2012, 19:35

Thanks Deman! Yeah there's no rush, been looking into building my own too, the price differences etc. I think I'll have to build it to get a perfect system though :( I was thinking of http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVID ... OP2DI1GD5/ for a GPU, not too expensive and seems good in terms of cost effectiveness. Might go a cheaper CPU to compensate, my budget is ~$1200 so can't have it all. But I remember when I built my last PC, that my GPU should have cost like 30% of my unit, oh how the times have changed!
DPS Paladin!

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#4 » 21 Apr 2012, 20:48

Just get an i5, 560 ti is pretty good card.
Rest seems okay

xox
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#5 » 23 Apr 2012, 10:33

next gen gfx cards have just hit as well. My Ati 5850's doent even appear on comparison charts anymore :(

What kind of screen size are you powering Simon? Smaller the screen the less gfx power you need. I thought that CPU was OK but personally I got a k chip and overclocked :D
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Post#6 » 23 Apr 2012, 11:40

Using a 24" atm Kash, have a 32" TV that I play movies/TV shows on though as a second monitor, and might be upgrading to 27" monitor soon. I'm using a Q6600 atm so I'm sure an i5 will be a huge upgrade :p

So upon revision, going to this!

CPU Intel i5 2500K $213
GPU Asus 1G GTX560 Ti TOP $259
Mobo Asus P8Z77-V $219 (Had to change for the CPU, i5 2500K is LGA1155 riiiight? :p)
RAM Kingston 8G $65
PSU Thermaltake ToughPowerXT 775W $134
Case Coolermaster HAF12 $105
Optical Drive $19

Can harvest HDD/fans from my current system, I feel like I'm missing something though... That's only $1000! Could fork out an extra 100 on the GPU/CPU or just leave it as is?
DPS Paladin!

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 » 23 Apr 2012, 15:53

well if you want to spend more money the GPU is where to put it. Tho I love SSD's they dont do much for games FPS, just load times.

Additionally if your getting the 2500k to overclock I'd suggest including budget for a cooler.
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur

simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Post#8 » 23 Apr 2012, 17:51

Probably wouldn't bother overclocking it to be honest, last time I OC'd a piece of hardware it died a couple of months later :( Reckon I should just go for the i7 if I'm not gonna OC? the i7 2600 is $289, or $308 for the 2600K. Also, what is this K business? Didn't have these last time I built my PC from memory!

My mind did cross to a SSD, but I don't think it's worth it for me :(
DPS Paladin!

Demandread
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#9 » 23 Apr 2012, 18:43

IVy bridge is out tomorrow so see what CPU prices are like in a week imo...Ivy bridge has some nice features over sandy bridge

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#10 » 24 Apr 2012, 09:15

simonsmp wrote: Also, what is this K business? Didn't have these last time I built my PC from memory!

K just means it can be overclocked.

edit: The sandy bridge reviews are in and while theres small performance increases most of the improvement is in the integrated graphics (which no serious gamer will use) and power savings (which you dont care about on a desktop). So if these new chips allow some price drops on the old ones Id grab an old one.
Steam Surg3on / Kashak

simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Post#11 » 24 Apr 2012, 14:54

So does the K come with better stock cooling or something? That's a really interesting article. Reading more, this shows the 2700k at 3.5GHz being pretty competitive to those more expensive chips in benchmarks, and here shows how close 2550K is in gaming too. The place I'm buying my parts at doesn't seem to have an i5 2550K though, I'd suppose a 2500K would be close enough.
DPS Paladin!

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#12 » 24 Apr 2012, 15:02

simonsmp wrote:So does the K come with better stock cooling or something? That's a really interesting article. Reading more, this shows the 2700k at 3.5GHz being pretty competitive to those more expensive chips in benchmarks, and here shows how close 2550K is in gaming too. The place I'm buying my parts at doesn't seem to have an i5 2550K though, I'd suppose a 2500K would be close enough.

2500k would be close enough. the K just means you have the option to overclock as far as you want, not that the coolers better. You can go pretty well with the stock cooler tho. With no K your limited to intels Turbo boost (you'll have to google that).

Youd be better off putting the money on the gfx card than a top top of the line CPU
Steam Surg3on / Kashak

simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Post#13 » 15 May 2012, 19:26

Quick question on hard drives... I'm noticing that 6gb/s is beyond my current hard drives and my mobo supports it. So I was thinking of buying a WD 1TB caviar black 6gb/s 7200RPM, BUT, can I transfer windows from one hard drive to the other...? If so, how? Also, would it actually improve my system performance over my current 3gb/s in terms of general use more so than file transfer? If not, probably won't waste my money. Or should I get a SSD if I want to dramatically improve performance? Couldn't find any useful comparisons on google :( I just want a PC that runs hell fast! Don't want any hard drives holding me back. Going to buy this bad boy on Thursday, the computer store I go to doesn't have the 2500K anymore, so getting the 3570K yay.

edit: Found this to help with transferring windows installation, but still coudln't find anything to say if it was worth buying a new drive to increase performance

edit2: After watching this, I'm sold on a SSD. Only using 90GB on my C:\ atm, so 128GB SSD will be heaps. Any suggestions on SSD types? I'm thinking the OCZ 128GB Petrol, for sata III etc. Any differing thoughts?

Btw I'm shopping at CPL, parts price listing here
DPS Paladin!

Demandread
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#14 » 16 May 2012, 06:56

I would spend the extra $10 bucks and at least get an Agility 120, double the write speed.

Also dont bother transfer windows, just re-install. Its easier than you think and will end up running smoother witha fresh install.

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#15 » 16 May 2012, 09:53

One thing to be aware of - you might want whatever awesome game you are running to be installed on the C: (SSD).

Not every one mind, but WoW, TOR, GW, whatever the big thing at the time is, chuck it on the SSD..which might mean you wawnt to increase the size of your SSD for the best bang..

But just my 2c

Return to “Tech Forum”