Help please: time for the Bigman to get a new PC

Got a question to ask of a technical nature? Want to show off your new PC specs? This forum is open to all users of the SC forums.
Thebigman
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Re: Help please: time for the Bigman to get a new PC

Post#31 » 19 Nov 2011, 10:40

Off to the shops, hopefully, they have it all. I am going to get an SSD after all. Life is too short :twisted:

Mob: Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 $145
CPU: Intel S1155 Quad Core i5-2500K (3.3GHz) $234
RAM: Desktop DDR3 Ram 8GB Kit (2x4GB) PC3-12800 1600Hz Corsair [CML8GX3M2A1600C9] 9-9-9-24 $59
GPU: Video Card (nV) PCI-e GTX 560 Ti OC 1GB Gigabyte [GV-N560OC-1GI] (900/4000MHz) $279
Case: Lancool PC-K63 (USB3) $144
PSU: 750W (Modular) Silverstone Strider Plus [SST-ST75F-P] $143
HDD: Internal 3.5" 1TB SATA3 7200rpm Seagate [ST31000524AS] $119
SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 GT Series 120GB SSD Sandforce SF-2200 Controller $226
ODD: DVD-Rewriter Internal 5.25" SATA Samsung [SH-222A] (22x/OEM with Software) Black $19
Gamepad: Gaming Pad Logitech F710 [940-000119] Wireless $50
Keyboard: Keyboard-Gaming Wired Logitech [920-002245] G110 $89

Total $1,507

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#32 » 19 Nov 2011, 15:26

Should be good, make sure they install windows on the SSD.
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#33 » 21 Nov 2011, 11:36

Secro wrote:Should be good, make sure they install windows on the SSD.

I think they is me. Is that right Bigman?
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#34 » 21 Nov 2011, 12:38

Oh right :P

Missed a few posts :D

Ancalime
Dreadlord
Dreadlord

Post#35 » 21 Nov 2011, 18:39

I just need a new vid card now. Why cant the ati HD 7xxx series come out already ><
GW2: Ancal- Sylvari Guardian
SWTOR: Calidus - Darkness Assassin
BF3: Ancal211
Rift: Ancal - Dwarf Warrior
Aion: Ancal - Asmodian Ranger
WAR: Gnacka - Choppa, Elthrai - DoK

Thebigman
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#36 » 22 Nov 2011, 05:30

PC bought on Saturday and I couldn't wait so a mate bouilt it for me on Monday night. The guy didn't have all in stock, so I had to compromise. Got Gygabite motherboard to go with Gygabite video card, had to get different RAM unfortunately (G. Skill) and a different PSU (Seasonic). I had to buy a K62 case instead of K63. Same with SSD, got an OCZ. Annoying to change all that after so much research. Hope they are still good components

Putting it together went well except that the version of Windows I had at home is 32bits. I didn't think about it. I just ordered an OEM 64bits of Home Premium that should be delivered by Wednesday.

Now, how do I make sure no data goes on the C drive? It seems that the users folders can't be moved. Same with the core directory of iTunes. We moved downloads folders and iTunes media to D. Not sure what else we can do.

Thanks for the offer to put the PC together but the impulse was too strong. Happy if you still want to rock by Thursday night.

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#37 » 22 Nov 2011, 07:52

Thebigman wrote:Now, how do I make sure no data goes on the C drive? It seems that the users folders can't be moved. Same with the core directory of iTunes. We moved downloads folders and iTunes media to D. Not sure what else we can do.

Yeh they can. Just google. I have done it so its possible :)
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur

WasteGate
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#38 » 22 Nov 2011, 10:33

Kashak wrote:
Thebigman wrote:Now, how do I make sure no data goes on the C drive? It seems that the users folders can't be moved. Same with the core directory of iTunes. We moved downloads folders and iTunes media to D. Not sure what else we can do.

Yeh they can. Just google. I have done it so its possible :)

This can apply to any directory, you use junction links to link it (much like symlinks in unix).

Remember though some games I want to load off my SSD so I only move them after I have played them. I recently moved WoW off my SSD to make space for ToR :D

I have a C:\ which is my SSD and a D:\ which is my data disk. I created a Program Files (x86) directory on data disk so it's "D:\Program Files (x86)"
When installing a game I create a directory on the data disk mirroring the path that it would be on the C:\
I'll use World of Warcraft as an example.

Step 1: create a directory using explorer "D:\Program Files (x86)" on the non SSD disk (I'm assuming it's the d:\ drive).

Step 2: create the game directory using explorer "D:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft"

Step 3a: open a command prompt but run it as administrator (i.e. right click on the application and select 'Run as Administrator')
Step 3b: create a junction link from the c:\ path to the new d:\ path using the following command;
C:\>mklink /J "c:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft" "d:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft"
Junction created for c:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft <<===>> d:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft

Step 4: install the game in to "c:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft""

As far as Windows 7 will know the game is installed on the c:\ but in actual fact in explorer the folder will appear to have a shortcut icon to it on the d:\

Below is the same process if the game is already installed on the C:\ drive.
Run this in a command prompt that has been run with administrator privileges!!!

Step A: C:\Program Files (x86)>robocopy /E "World of Warcraft" "d:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft"

Step B: C:\Program Files (x86)>rmdir /s /q "World of Warcraft"

Step C: C:\Program Files (x86)>mklink /J "c:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft" "d:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft"
Junction created for c:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft <<===>> d:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft

That's great Wastey but what about the Users directory...

You do this via Steps A,B,C copy process above using Robocopy, BUT ! ! ! ! ! ! you need to do this via a boot from the DVD in to safe mode recovery tools. You can get a command prompt to do this from when using the DVD. You can't do this loading the OS from the hard disk properly.
Be warned you need to backup the D:\ drive as it now has your user directory located on it and if you loose that disk windows won't boot. But you run regular backups anyway right :P

Wastey :D
Join the Southern Cross Steam group or find us on Facebook

<SWG 2003-2009> <EQ2 2005-2006> <WoW 2005-2015>
<LotRO 2007-2009> <AoC 2008-2009> <WAR 2008-2010>
<World of Tanks 2011-
premium> <SW:ToR 2011-active>
<TESO 2014-2014>

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#39 » 22 Nov 2011, 11:09

WasteGate wrote:That's great Wastey but what about the Users directory...

You do this via Steps A,B,C copy process above using Robocopy, BUT ! ! ! ! ! ! you need to do this via a boot from the DVD in to safe mode recovery tools. You can get a command prompt to do this from when using the DVD. You can't do this loading the OS from the hard disk properly.
Be warned you need to backup the D:\ drive as it now has your user directory located on it and if you loose that disk windows won't boot. But you run regular backups anyway right :P

Not to step on your toes but Windows supports user folder moving. At least, all the important bits. As the swap drive and most of my documents is shifted off it'll be fine :).

P.S. Skyrim on SSD. You'll wonder why all the reviews mention long loading times between indoors/outdoors.
Steam Surg3on / Kashak

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#40 » 22 Nov 2011, 11:42

I didn't even put Skyrim on my SSD and it still loads in like 5 seconds lol, some of these reviewers just talk so much shit!

Sardius
Pandaren Monk
Pandaren Monk

Post#41 » 22 Nov 2011, 13:38

Secro wrote:I didn't even put Skyrim on my SSD and it still loads in like 5 seconds lol, some of these reviewers just talk so much shit!

I too have no issues with this, and I have no SSD. Really will have to look into getting one eventually. Also, grats on the new machine Bigman :)
Battle.Net ID: Penguins#1368

D3: Wizard/Crusader/everything, Clan <SC>

World of Warcraft
Kilrogg - Alliance

-RIP-
SW:TOR
Rift

Thebigman
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#42 » 22 Nov 2011, 17:14

Thanks mate, I am pretty happy. New toy ... hmmmm

Ancalime
Dreadlord
Dreadlord

Post#43 » 22 Nov 2011, 18:14

Thebigman wrote: I had to buy a K62 case instead of K63.

Hehe i got that same case last year, is nice :)
GW2: Ancal- Sylvari Guardian
SWTOR: Calidus - Darkness Assassin
BF3: Ancal211
Rift: Ancal - Dwarf Warrior
Aion: Ancal - Asmodian Ranger
WAR: Gnacka - Choppa, Elthrai - DoK

Thebigman
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#44 » 22 Nov 2011, 19:28

HAWT

WasteGate
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#45 » 22 Nov 2011, 20:02

Kashak wrote:
WasteGate wrote:That's great Wastey but what about the Users directory...

Not to step on your toes but Windows supports user folder moving. At least, all the important bits. As the swap drive and most of my documents is shifted off it'll be fine :).

That's not stepping on my toes :wink: just another way to do it.
I prefer the junction links method as it's more Unix :P and unix works :mrgreen:
Join the Southern Cross Steam group or find us on Facebook

<SWG 2003-2009> <EQ2 2005-2006> <WoW 2005-2015>
<LotRO 2007-2009> <AoC 2008-2009> <WAR 2008-2010>
<World of Tanks 2011-
premium> <SW:ToR 2011-active>
<TESO 2014-2014>

Return to “Tech Forum”