Quick hardware question

Got a question to ask of a technical nature? Want to show off your new PC specs? This forum is open to all users of the SC forums.
simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Quick hardware question

Post#1 » 28 Oct 2011, 17:16

Yo,

So basically I'm running Q6600 quad core CPU, 720W PSU, 4870 GPU, 2 x 2GB RAM, Asus p5Q mobo. Thinking of upgrading GPU to a GTX560, would that take too much power you reckon? Would I need to upgrade my PSU too? Cos if so, cbf. Found a GTX560 for $200, probably really standard but it's still an upgrade hey. Any advice is more than welcome, don't really wanna upgrade much more than my GPU, trying to save for like a billion things atm, but with SC2, BF3 and MW3 I forsee myself wanting better graphics :p

Cheers,

Simon
Add me on Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/Simonsmp/
Simonsmp for Prime Minister
DPS Paladin!

Demandread
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Re: Quick hardware question

Post#2 » 29 Oct 2011, 06:31

A GTX 560 will go straight in to that system, no worries. If you can i would recommend spending the extra $50-$80 bucks and getting a GTX 560 Ti or a 6950.

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Quick hardware question

Post#3 » 31 Oct 2011, 09:10

Yep PSU will handle things OK unless its one of those yum cha not really 720w cheapo cheapo jobs. I also support Demandreads suggestion at trying for the best card you can get.
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Return to “Tech Forum”