Virus Protection

Got a question to ask of a technical nature? Want to show off your new PC specs? This forum is open to all users of the SC forums.
Scarixi
The Patient
The Patient

Virus Protection

Post#1 » 24 Jul 2010, 22:12

So I was checking out some site tonight and picked up a pretty painful piece of malware called Antivir Solution Pro.

Managed to clean it up by looking for solutions on my iPhone. Only thing that annoys me is it managed to get on while Microsoft Security Essentials was running. Really makes me feel safe now :?

Can anyone recommend better software or was this a random encounter.

I just installed No Script for Mozilla...will this add protection to further intrusions? Also, part of the clean up process required me to go to LAN settings and uncheck Use Proxy Server in Internet Explorer as part of the Malware blocked the internet to make it seem as you have to buy the software to clean the computer. I assume under Connection Settings and checking No Proxy in Mozilla is the equivalent?

Cheers for any info. Damn viruses freak me out.

Selphie
Epic!
Epic!

Re: Virus Protection

Post#2 » 25 Jul 2010, 02:14

noscript is a good start since it prevents most passive vulnerabilities, but quite a few commercial sites expect javascript to be enabled. i've never used noscript and haven't run into any problems, but I guess this is more to do with browsing habits.
for an antivirus i just use AVG free, which includes a firefox add-on that integrates with google and shows a 'this site is safe or not' icon for each search result.

yeah, you're right about the proxy settings.

above all else, my suggestion is to just be careful of what you search for and what sites you visit. new malware (or variations) comes out everyday, so it's never a guarantee that your AV is going to work. you're better off being a little more diligent with searching than you are spending time on post-infection cleaning.

on another note, you should probably look at using a couple of other free online scanners to be sure you're not still infected with other things. it's common for one infection to download others, though i haven't researched antivir solution pro in this case.

Scarixi
The Patient
The Patient

Post#3 » 25 Jul 2010, 02:35

Normally i'm pretty conscious of what web sites I go to, just had a silly lapse of judgement while looking for something. Come to mention it, I do recall the Java console pop up briefly but didn't really think much of it.

I used Malwarebytes to clean up the computer, seems to have done the job, did a scan with Microsoft Security Essentials and nothing else was picked up.

Cheers for the tips tho.

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#4 » 25 Jul 2010, 10:44

Yeah Malwarebytes is prettty good at nuking most the crap for the last 2 years, i found a trojan last week at work that it couldn't get rid of though! :(
Must of been too new lol.
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Thebigman
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#5 » 29 Sep 2011, 14:58

My renewal for my virus / firewall protection is coming up.

I am currently using CA but I think it's crap.

What do you guys recommend?

I use Maleware to scan my PC regularly but I need something that scans automatically. I want something to protect and not just detect.

Help please

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#6 » 29 Sep 2011, 15:27

Thebigman wrote:My renewal for my virus / firewall protection is coming up.

I am currently using CA but I think it's crap.

What do you guys recommend?

I use Maleware to scan my PC regularly but I need something that scans automatically. I want something to protect and not just detect.

Help please

I still stick with AVG Free personally. You can pay for it if you want.

I also use Sophos at the office which is quite good.

But as noted in the thread you just necro'd, being careful with your searching habits will stop about 90% of the crap getting in :)

Demandread
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#7 » 30 Sep 2011, 07:12

The free version of Avast is really good and i also use Sphinx Windows Firewall control to block unwanted outgoing connections.

Thebigman
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#8 » 03 Oct 2011, 13:52

Thank you boys, very helpful

Return to “Tech Forum”