I hate wireless.

Got a question to ask of a technical nature? Want to show off your new PC specs? This forum is open to all users of the SC forums.
Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

I hate wireless.

Post#1 » 27 Jun 2010, 21:00

Had to move my computer into another room away from the router (1 brick wall between me and router now) and it butchered my wirless network :(

I'm getting a new USB dongle(one that has 2 antennas) and a new antenna on my router, hoping this will be enough to sort out any problems.

PCI cards with antennas really aren't an option for me due to my case having the ports along the top of the case for better airflow (mobo is turned 90 degrees) so i can't really have ariels poking out the top without removing casing.

Does anyone know wether a wireless N router will boost the signal more, or is it same as G.... except faster?

I was considering those power line things but i'm in an apartment so i guess it wouldn't be such a good idea.
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

drakatar
High Overlord
High Overlord

Re: I hate wireless.

Post#2 » 28 Jun 2010, 09:34

it's meant to, but in the end I didn't see much difference, and now just run a 20mtr cable through the house, taped to the floor

Xerosin
The Patient
The Patient

Post#3 » 28 Jun 2010, 10:19

+1 for 20m Cat5, i have no tape tho >.< tripping hazzard x2 lol
WoW: Kirosan - 85 Mage | Reiiku - 80 Priest | Sensha - 85 Warrior | Risaka - 85 Shaman
SC2: Xerosin#530
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                     "Help me, I broke apart my insides"

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#4 » 28 Jun 2010, 11:43

Yeah I wish I could do that, but the router is on the otherside of the apartment across the living room through the hall way etc.

I'll just /pray that a beefier antenna + new dongle will be fine.

It's funny my laptop doesn't have these problems, but i think it's because it has 2 antennas in it.

Xerosin
The Patient
The Patient

Post#5 » 28 Jun 2010, 11:44

you could try one of the antennae with a long cable so it doesn't obstruct the top of your case.

http://www.shopbot.com.au/wireless-ante ... tralia/131
WoW: Kirosan - 85 Mage | Reiiku - 80 Priest | Sensha - 85 Warrior | Risaka - 85 Shaman
SC2: Xerosin#530
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                     "Help me, I broke apart my insides"

Demandread
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#6 » 28 Jun 2010, 12:49

Hammer Drill, 12mm masonry bit, long cat 5 cable & no bond repayment....problem fixt

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 » 28 Jun 2010, 13:02

I like the no bond repayment part :p

Azmodeus
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#8 » 28 Jun 2010, 13:36

Ahh wireless, I remember back in the day Waz and I trying to raid on that, every time one of us used the microwave the connection would go BOOOOM.

What’s your chances of moving the router? Can you run an RJ cable instead of a Cat5 and tuck it under any carpet since it’s alot thinner.

There’s always the T-9 for balls out speed!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3dqIUmU ... r_embedded

nitrofenix
LotRO Kinship Leader
LotRO Kinship Leader

Post#9 » 02 Jul 2010, 15:06

You'll probably find the reo in the brick wall combined with the USB dongle is causing problems -- a cheap solution would be to reposition your USB dongle with an extension lead (10~15m -- anything longer can be a bit shady depending on your mobo/cable/USB device) so that you have more of a line-of-sight-without-a-brick-wall situation going on.

Ultimately, a cable would be better though..

If you absolutely have to use wireless and the USB dongle signal is a little weak and ends up giving you the shits, you could always look at using a flexible PCI/PCIe riser and working some PC mod wizardry inside your case to get the aerial poking out somewhere else. The other option is to use your vertical PCI/PCIe slot and just buy/make a different aerial that plugs in with a lead and is able to be repositioned.
LOTRO: Ohtarwen, lv71 Champ / Valaena, lv71 Warden / Meldariel, lv60 LM / Durandir, lv44 Hunter / Penni, lv43 Healbot

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#10 » 02 Jul 2010, 17:21

Fixed my little problem with a 2.4ghz 8db antenna on the router, it's amazing how much difference it made.

Marc
Grunt

Post#11 » 05 Jul 2010, 10:05

You can try these ethernet over powerpoint adapters. They are a little bit expensive, but more reliable then wireless.
It's a network cable adapter that runs through the power point copper wires.

Note: You must be on the same power circuit for it to work. Most houses have 3 or 4 circuits in the house. Just gotta ensure it runs on the same circuit, cause it won't work otherwise.

http://www.netcomm.com.au/netcomm-produ ... ower/np285

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#12 » 05 Jul 2010, 10:29

Not an option :)

Marc
Grunt

Post#13 » 06 Jul 2010, 15:01

What reception are you actually getting? Cause if it's like 5 bars reception and you're still dropping out every now and then, then i'd doubt it's the antenna or the signal strength causing the problem.

Something to try is changing the wireless channel in the router setup and checking the mode it runs on - default is channel 11 so if there is another wifi on channel 11 in range, you will get drop outs from interferrence. Change it to channel 8 or something and see if it fixes it. mode should be on "B & G".

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#14 » 06 Jul 2010, 15:22

It was 2-3 bars and dropping out frequently, but if you keep reading the replies I posted i fixed it with a new antenna on the router that put it to 5 bars constantly.
It did drop out once in the hours and hours of play I did on sat, but once is ok.

Selphie
Epic!
Epic!

Post#15 » 07 Jul 2010, 01:27

my sister's been complaining that her internet is slow due to low wireless reception.
might be something to do with the router's antenna power being set to 25% :D

Return to “Tech Forum”