Fixing WoW Lag in ICC

Got a question to ask of a technical nature? Want to show off your new PC specs? This forum is open to all users of the SC forums.
Xerosin
The Patient
The Patient

Fixing WoW Lag in ICC

Post#1 » 25 Mar 2010, 08:41

I've decided to post what I have tried so far to fix laggy ICC25's and random disconnects that make the game almost unplayable for me, I'm sure a few other people have the same kind of issue's so hopefully this thread will help others.

evga 780i motherboard
Q9400 CPU @ 3.4ghz
8GB Corsair DDR2 pc-8500
nvidia 9800gtx+ 512mb

Some background:
To begin with months ago we hit festergut in icc and my pc hit 1fps during 90% of the encounter, this carried on to rotface and then putricide with it eventually starting to affect saurfang and gunship until I couldn't even attempt marrowgar without dropping to single digit framerates and 1700ms.

I'm using wow tunnels and generally raid with 190-240ms and this for me is really really good, without tunnels I would have dc'd on the boss pull guaranteed. I was getting a solid 190-200ms ping all the way to plague wing, we pull festergut or whatever boss and i have 1700ms within seconds and it won't drop down until i reconnect to the tunnel, but up until plague wing the tunnel was fine. ??? weird.
Syl would get ~1700ms at the same time but my pc would always drop while hers stayed connected with high latency.

Things I've tried:
Fresh Reinstall of wow - downloaded the installer from bliz site and did the full 7gb download and reinstall, this by far had the best impact on framerates out of anything I tried, festergut wont drop below 45fps anymore and it was the worst for me before.

Deleted and re downloaded and setup from scratch every single addon i had, and steered clear of crap I didnt use or didnt really need. This helped a little with latency dropping avg 10ms, although how much of an affect it actually has is hard to gauge, so I used spamalyzer to check all incoming/outgoing addon comms, and with Syl's help managed to drop everything outgoing except for libhealcomm and pitbull keeping my addon chatter to a minimum.

Graphics:
I noticed the fog/gassy effects that got introduced with the new 5mans before ICC and with Festerguts blight etc would absolutely kill my fps, even in 5mans. If my camera happened to swivel through one of the gas vents in the wall in the 5mans it would chug to 1fps until my camera moved out of the gas. I tested this a few times and it was def the culprit. Reinstalling nvidia drivers basically had no effect, new versions and rolling back to old versions that i had used in uld that were fine didnt help either. reinstalling wow fixed this issue for me.

Some addon settings that might help

recount: disable lazy sync, do /recount sync and make sure it says disabled.
combat log: turn it off completely so it logs absolutely nothing (you can use recount to see what killed you and how much dmg you took etc)
grid: for DPS if you use this get rid of everything except for the core grid files and the raid icons addon so you can see marked targets easily, everything else is not required for dps, i.e. mana bars, corner text etc.
combat text addon: turn off everything, i still leave outgoing dmg on but that's it it doesnt show heals or other peoples dmg or procs or cooldowns or anything, just dmg, you could even drop your combat text mod all together and go back to blizz default one.

everything else you wouldn't need during a raid/combat, gearscore, auctioneer, gear bonus scanners, atlasloot etc turn it off.

for anything else you might use check that it doesn't try to communicate with other people addons, spamalyzer will show you whats happening.

Wow is now generally much more playable although i still think TPG is a factor in lag and disconnects, running constant pings to the tunnel, the wow server and an aussie server like optusnet or telstra show 1 dropped packet every few minutes which over the course of a boss fight equates to less than 1% packet loss although the latency to the tunnel and the aussie server will sometimes skyrocket for a second or two and this usually coincides with a DC.

The strange thing is at least one raid night per week i will have an awesome connection, no lag, no dc's all fights are sweet (i.e. yesterday) yet on Sunday it's likely i'll have 1700ms and get dc'd on blood queen etc, although nothing has changed on my end, everything is still identical to when i played on wednesday and it was fine yet on Sunday it's unplayable. How many other people are on TPG and get dc'd frequently in icc? I know of at least 3 of us, just wanting to try and get a general idea if it is my isp or not.

Hope this thread helps some people.
WoW: Kirosan - 85 Mage | Reiiku - 80 Priest | Sensha - 85 Warrior | Risaka - 85 Shaman
SC2: Xerosin#530
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                     "Help me, I broke apart my insides"

Aereth
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Re: Fixing WoW Lag in ICC

Post#2 » 25 Mar 2010, 10:41

Thank you so much for that! I shall definitely be trying some of those over the next few days to see if it helps with framerate and such :)
A change that has helped me recently is switching from Recount as a meter to Skada not sure if anyone else wants to try but so far its been good has a far lower memory footprint and if you feel like it can also take the place of omen switching to threat during fights and damage outside of fights :) So could be useful if people want to further reduce addon usage.

http://www.wow.com/2010/02/04/addon-spotlight-skada/

Brief review of it if anyone is interested.

Huntazor
High Overlord
High Overlord

Post#3 » 25 Mar 2010, 10:47

im the same now, dont know why but some thing horrible goes wrong as soon as we attempt BQL.
its awesome right until we enter that room and thne boom.

only last 2 weeks though. like wtf, did blizz change some thing :O
sc's best dodger

Syleena
High Overlord
High Overlord

Post#4 » 25 Mar 2010, 11:21

Huntazor wrote:im the same now, dont know why but some thing horrible goes wrong as soon as we attempt BQL.
its awesome right until we enter that room and thne boom.

only last 2 weeks though. like wtf, did blizz change some thing :O

I think the change is Army being popped, I know that it contributes to my lag. And when it isn't popped we get less dc's. To fix this I zoom into the ground for the first few secs till army is at the boss. I find that not seeing them being summoned and charging in will atleast help with my fps issue on that fight.

And when it comes to addons (even the standard features), its crazy how much communicating they are doing in the background.

WoW - Sylestine 80 Druid
WoW - Caelestria 80 Mage
WoW - Lilsunshine 80 Pally
WoW - Samariah 80 Warlock
WoW - Syleena 80 Rogue

beach
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#5 » 25 Mar 2010, 14:05

Syleena wrote:I think the change is Army being popped

Worst move in the fucking game
"Taste that. That's the taste of Beachjustice" - Bryant Gumble

There's madness to my method.

Xerosin
The Patient
The Patient

Post#6 » 25 Mar 2010, 14:33

beach wrote:

I'm joining the beachmovement on AoTD.
WoW: Kirosan - 85 Mage | Reiiku - 80 Priest | Sensha - 85 Warrior | Risaka - 85 Shaman
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Selphie
Epic!
Epic!

Post#7 » 25 Mar 2010, 14:42

i think the ability itself is pretty cool, but i have no idea where the taunting idea came from..

Huntazor
High Overlord
High Overlord

Post#8 » 25 Mar 2010, 15:34

it might be army, but its only that fight that lags me out. gai
sc's best dodger

Azmodeus
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#9 » 25 Mar 2010, 15:42

beach wrote:

Nice to see your feeling a bit better man :D

Xerosin
The Patient
The Patient

Post#10 » 25 Mar 2010, 15:52

Selphie wrote:i think the ability itself is pretty cool, but i have no idea where the taunting idea came from..

They don't taunt in 25m anymore, and I'm pretty sure they don't in 10m either, it's solo and 5mans etc where they do, so it's not a huge issue when its used but it does seem to lag alot of people when they are out.

Azmodeus
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#11 » 25 Mar 2010, 16:50

Xerosin wrote:
Selphie wrote:i think the ability itself is pretty cool, but i have no idea where the taunting idea came from..

They don't taunt in 25m anymore, and I'm pretty sure they don't in 10m either, it's solo and 5mans etc where they do, so it's not a huge issue when its used but it does seem to lag alot of people when they are out.

Think they still do just not 63+ Elites

Xerosin
The Patient
The Patient

Post#12 » 25 Mar 2010, 17:59

Azmodeus wrote:
Xerosin wrote:

Think they still do just not 63+ Elites

Ahh they don't taunt lvl 83+ raid bosses but everything else they do.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 7997&sid=1
http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t42392-raid ... army_dead/

MJ
WoW Officer
WoW Officer

Post#13 » 26 Mar 2010, 15:30

Thanks for the post kiro :D
ImageImage

nucleon
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Post#14 » 29 Mar 2010, 15:22

Problem I have at the moment - Every time a mob is defeated the whole game pauses.

Frustrating as hell.

I hardly have any mods active. Only a bag mod. Just rang WoW repair program - it didn't turn up anything.

-- Craig Meyers
CoV - Soundspeed (Son/Kin Cor)
CoH - Ms Taken (Storm/NRG Def) GoldenRock (Rock/Rock Tank)
WoW - Omikron (Druid) KappaOmikron (Shaman)

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#15 » 29 Mar 2010, 16:00

Try disabling the bag mod?

Sounds weird mate :S

Try renaming the folder that would have log files, so if your account name is nucleon
Do a search in the World of Warcraft folder for a folder named Nucleon and try renaming it to Nucleon2

I'm pretty sure it is a mod, or server lag.
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Return to “Tech Forum”