Time to build a new PC

Got a question to ask of a technical nature? Want to show off your new PC specs? This forum is open to all users of the SC forums.
Skidmark
The Patient
The Patient

Time to build a new PC

Post#1 » 22 Mar 2010, 12:56

So, its that time again, when I finally get a build a new PC. What I'm looking at is basically a midrange gaming PC that will have a bit of futureproofing and not looking to spend the earth. Not too worried about where to buy the stuff, just on what to get, will shop around and find the cheapest places to get them easily enough and theres an MSY thats just opened in the area so that looks promising.

Heres what I'm thinking about getting, any suggestions would be appreciated (wtb thumbsup icon). About the only thing I'm not interested in altering is the CPU.

Core i5 750
Motherboard (not sure what to get here)
4gb of DDR3 (will upgrade to 8gb later so will need to be 2gb modules)
Thermaltake 700W PSU (chosen for price)
64gb SSD (maybe, depends on end price)
Vid card (really not sure what to get, nVidia or ATI?)

So, I know, lots of info there... if anyone has some suggestions on what to build from there I'm open to ideas!
=-=-=-=-=

nitrofenix
LotRO Kinship Leader
LotRO Kinship Leader

Re: Time to build a new PC

Post#2 » 22 Mar 2010, 13:50

Skidmark wrote:Vid card (really not sure what to get, nVidia or ATI?)

ATI 5770s are pretty decent bang for buck, if you're looking to save a few dollars.

That being said, there are plenty of nVidia loyalists who'd know of an equivalent from the other camp.. :D
LOTRO: Ohtarwen, lv71 Champ / Valaena, lv71 Warden / Meldariel, lv60 LM / Durandir, lv44 Hunter / Penni, lv43 Healbot

Skidmark
The Patient
The Patient

Post#3 » 22 Mar 2010, 14:49

nitrofenix wrote:ATI 5770s are pretty decent bang for buck, if you're looking to save a few dollars.

Yeah a workmate has one of these and recommends it, just wanted to see if others thought so too. Been looking at going a 5770 on price alone, if I can shave some dollars off here and there I might be able to budget in a SSD...
=-=-=-=-=

Azmodeus
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#4 » 22 Mar 2010, 15:42

ATI runs so hit it requires the tears of baby seals to cool it down. Other than that, performance is comparable.

So if you’ve got a decent case + power supply it’ll be fine and won’t make that much noise.