hot!!

Got a question to ask of a technical nature? Want to show off your new PC specs? This forum is open to all users of the SC forums.
TAARTHELION
Grunt

hot!!

Post#1 » 09 Feb 2010, 16:40

Just after some info if anyone has any as to why my fans may goin off when i run a game on my comp. My system isnt that old (like 6 months) and I bought a 4890 with it as a new gpu I thought maybe that was it, but after putting the old 8800gts in it, it still has the issue of the turbo fans..... it heats the room up like crazy which sux in summer (would be ok in winter :) ) but i want it to stop as it gets noisy... i am running 4 gigs of ram and this hasnt always happened could it be the motherboard has shit itself? or maybe someone else has had a similar issue and can shed some light on it... (running iexplorer and applications is fine just anything with load it goes off! )

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: hot!!

Post#2 » 09 Feb 2010, 18:53

Nope, that is how it is meant to function, welcome to summer! It get's hot under load so the fans work harder to cool it down.

I had the same thing, I ended up fitting an after market cooler that was silent and dropped the temp 30 degrees.

Just monitor the temps with a program called HWMonitor and you'll see that it get's a lot hotter on load.
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Spoticus
Warchief
Warchief

Post#3 » 09 Feb 2010, 21:08

I found that when summer hit my 4870 vid card started going into overdrive doing simple stuff. Decided it was lack of decent case ventilation, installed some nexus case fans (like 5 for $40 or something) and the PC is now very very quiet in windows and the vid card fan doesn't go in turbo in games. In fact the loudest thing in my PC is the power supply as it doesnt like my motherboard :/
SWG - Wookiee Tailor & Dark Jedi || DAoC - Merc CoH - Scrapper || CoV - Ninja MM
EQ2 - Jeweler || GW Wa/Me & Mo/Ne WoW - Warlock/Jeweller || LotRO - Champion/Armourer
WAR - Marauder, Choppa

TAARTHELION
Grunt

Post#4 » 09 Feb 2010, 22:23

thanks guys will try addin some fans :)

nitrofenix
LotRO Kinship Leader
LotRO Kinship Leader

Post#5 » 10 Feb 2010, 00:45

You know I'll always be one of your biggest fans, Taar..
LOTRO: Ohtarwen, lv71 Champ / Valaena, lv71 Warden / Meldariel, lv60 LM / Durandir, lv44 Hunter / Penni, lv43 Healbot

Azmodeus
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#6 » 10 Feb 2010, 08:38

Secro wrote:welcome to summer!

I also run with a 4890 and the ATI are renowned for an running hotter than their more expensive brethren, even when idle.

Cheap fix I usually do is yank the side of my case off and stand a desk fan next to it, keeps my pc running cool.

I also find that playing with my pants off in the hot weather enhances the experience somewhat

nitrofenix
LotRO Kinship Leader
LotRO Kinship Leader

Post#7 » 10 Feb 2010, 08:57

I use a couple of DuOrbs on my 3870s -- they're over two years old but they still run fairly hot most of the time. The DuOrbs seem to get most of the heat out of the case (and into my computer room instead).

In completely unrelated news, I'm starting a net café / sauna business. Drop by!
LOTRO: Ohtarwen, lv71 Champ / Valaena, lv71 Warden / Meldariel, lv60 LM / Durandir, lv44 Hunter / Penni, lv43 Healbot

Return to “Tech Forum”