PC Case for Secro

Got a question to ask of a technical nature? Want to show off your new PC specs? This forum is open to all users of the SC forums.
Demandread
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Re: PC Case for Secro

Post#16 » 30 Dec 2009, 15:18

yeah cooling on the FT01 has been really good, and very quite.

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#17 » 06 Jan 2010, 10:19

Started transferring my PC into the FT02 last night. Just wish I had a modular PSU to get rid of all these cables I don't use.
Next upgrade (core i5's look good value!) I might see how much I can get a modular PSU for and SSD and take out the 80GB HDD I have sitting in the system collecting dust. That should significantly reduce the amount cables.
As it stands now though, i just need to try and flatten out the cables installed now and i should be able to put the back panel on again and that will have everything routing behind the mobo tray.
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#18 » 06 Jan 2010, 22:26

Also yeah I forgot to put a power cable into the dvd driver lol

Going to re-do it all next upgrade anyway, think I got the PSU strap around the wrong way too, works either way though lol.

For better cabling, next time a new PSU with modular cables, take out a HDD that i'm not using and replace with a SSD.
Got my sights on a corsair H50 water cooling unit as well.

and have a new GPU cooler on the way.

WasteGate
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#19 » 07 Jan 2010, 08:59

That's hot Secro :D

I think I might document my current case mod here on the SC forums as I'm trying for www.million-dollar-pc.com. I was looking at the FT02 for ideas but have gone another route for the project.
After all it's only Southern Cross opinions I'm after and not that fickle ocau community :wink:

A modular PSU rocks btw. I have the 850w version of the corsair and it's the goods 8)

wastey
Join the Southern Cross Steam group or find us on Facebook

<SWG 2003-2009> <EQ2 2005-2006> <WoW 2005-2015>
<LotRO 2007-2009> <AoC 2008-2009> <WAR 2008-2010>
<World of Tanks 2011-
premium> <SW:ToR 2011-active>
<TESO 2014-2014>

Fellhahn
Warchief
Warchief

Post#20 » 07 Jan 2010, 21:03

Pretty, Secro, thumbs up :D

nucleon
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Post#21 » 08 Jan 2010, 19:54

From what I've read you can almost get the same performance from the high-end heatpipe cooler as opposed to a water cooling kit.

You'll think a water cooling is cool for about 3 months or so, then it'll make you nervous as you worry if you'll get a leak.

How'd the hdds work? How do you connect the sata data/power cables?

-- Craig
CoV - Soundspeed (Son/Kin Cor)
CoH - Ms Taken (Storm/NRG Def) GoldenRock (Rock/Rock Tank)
WoW - Omikron (Druid) KappaOmikron (Shaman)

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#22 » 08 Jan 2010, 20:10

Tests show otherwise, a full WC unit cools it a fair bit more. I was only going for the wussy WC unit though, so it's only a few degrees cooler than a high end fan / heat sink.
I don't like the massive heat sink fan kits, the WC unit i was looking it is rather small and does as good job as the massive fans. It's a corsair H50 if you want to look up the reviews and how it preforms.
I'm going to wait till i upgrade my CPU anyway, as i don't need it now, and probably won't even if i upgrade, but we'll see :) It was just an interesting alternative.

I'm running the SATA and power cables behind the motherboard tray. It's a tight squeeze behind there, but enough room to tuck things away with a little planning. They are sitting in caddies that have rubber dampeners on them.

Here is pic of the back :)

nucleon
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Post#23 » 08 Jan 2010, 22:53

I have a corsair Nautilus 500, and have had it since the initial release of core2 duo (3+years ago now I think). It drops water level ever so slowly, even though it's a fully sealed system. About every 3-6months it needs a top up.

I'm just passing on my own personal experience :) I'm not buying a WC system again.

It's a damn nice case - and I like the vertical mounting of cards. I think that looks like it'll do wonders for cooling.

So from your hdd shot it looks like there's no sata backplane, so 2.5" SSDs should have no issues.

The only issue I have with the case is replacement of the 180mm fans. 180mm replacement fans don't seem easily obtainable. 120mm and 80mm seem the common sizes, with the odd 200mm around.

-- Craig
CoV - Soundspeed (Son/Kin Cor)
CoH - Ms Taken (Storm/NRG Def) GoldenRock (Rock/Rock Tank)
WoW - Omikron (Druid) KappaOmikron (Shaman)

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#24 » 09 Jan 2010, 07:56

You can also mount a SDD above the HDD bay on the back there with a plate that comes with the box.
Yeah i read a lot about the top up needed for the WC units (which would shit me).
Didn't think about the fans! :(

Spoticus
Warchief
Warchief

Post#25 » 09 Jan 2010, 14:02

nucleon wrote:The only issue I have with the case is replacement of the 180mm fans.

At the start of summer my i7 PC started to get really loud (particularly the gfx card). Was pretty sure it was the lack of decent airflow in the case so I replaced the case fans with 5 120mm Nexus ones. Made a massive difference, very little noise at all from my PC now.
SWG - Wookiee Tailor & Dark Jedi || DAoC - Merc CoH - Scrapper || CoV - Ninja MM
EQ2 - Jeweler || GW Wa/Me & Mo/Ne WoW - Warlock/Jeweller || LotRO - Champion/Armourer
WAR - Marauder, Choppa

Demandread
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#26 » 10 Jan 2010, 15:19

how much overclocking are you planning to do? i got a Zalman CNPS9900A with my i7 overclocked by 25% work very nice, cool and quiet and pretty cheap

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#27 » 14 Jan 2010, 15:56

Secro wrote:and have a new GPU cooler on the way.

spent 5 hours fucking around trying to install the thing, for one of the 3 fans not to work .....
fail.

In the process of getting a repair/replacement, but I doubt it's going to be speedy. GG me.

When I get it back got some thermal adhesive that i'll use to stick the heatsinks onto the ram, they just kept falling off because it was too weak.

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#28 » 14 Jan 2010, 15:57

Demandread wrote:how much overclocking are you planning to do? i got a Zalman CNPS9900A with my i7 overclocked by 25% work very nice, cool and quiet and pretty cheap

not gonna do any till i get a new cpu. prolly an i5.