Thinking of a new rig

Got a question to ask of a technical nature? Want to show off your new PC specs? This forum is open to all users of the SC forums.
Xerosin
The Patient
The Patient

Re: Thinking of a new rig

Post#16 » 14 May 2009, 10:09

you can run 2 monitors from 1 card easily so grab a single gpu solution if you wanna save a bit of dosh, you can always grab another one of the same in a few months for cheaper and chuck it in for some SLI action.

for the psu 650w and up should be fine for an i7 running 260's in SLI, if you want a little bit more headroom grab a 700w.
Just bear in mind if you're gonna dump like 4 HDD's and run a million fans in it you may need to step up the PSU again to be safe.
WoW: Kirosan - 85 Mage | Reiiku - 80 Priest | Sensha - 85 Warrior | Risaka - 85 Shaman
SC2: Xerosin#530
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                     "Help me, I broke apart my insides"

Spoticus
Warchief
Warchief

Post#17 » 14 May 2009, 11:56

WasteGate wrote:Also nvidia recently did a write up and said Core i7 was overkill for gaming.

WAR + TF2 at the same time = 47% cpu usage :D Also tried converting a vid file while playing WAR, maintained 80fps, good times :) Imo when people say something is overkill though, that usually only lasts for a year, two at best.
SWG - Wookiee Tailor & Dark Jedi || DAoC - Merc CoH - Scrapper || CoV - Ninja MM
EQ2 - Jeweler || GW Wa/Me & Mo/Ne WoW - Warlock/Jeweller || LotRO - Champion/Armourer
WAR - Marauder, Choppa

Demandread
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#18 » 15 May 2009, 07:54

so just blew my original budget completely and ordered:

CPU: Core i7 920
Motherboard: DFI LanParty DK-X58-T3H6
Memory: Patriot PC3-12800 3x2GB DDR3 PVT36G1600LLK
Cooling: Zalman CNPS9900-Cu
Case: Lian Li PC-7FW Black
Power: Corsair HX-620W Power Supply
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 285 Superclocked

Last question now is what OS should i put on it? Anyone using Win7 RC and running wow atm? otherwise ill find a copy of Vista Home Premium x64

Selphie
Epic!
Epic!

Post#19 » 15 May 2009, 11:34

win7 rc x64 is good, nothing has crashed yet, 90% of applications worked immediately, including wow.
performance in wow is good if not better than before on ultra settings.

WasteGate
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#20 » 15 May 2009, 15:46

Windows 7 RC + NVIDIA = WIN :D

Microsoft got it right this time, no surprises though as they are jinxed in that every odd O/S they release is a winner and the even # ones suck :twisted:
Join the Southern Cross Steam group or find us on Facebook

<SWG 2003-2009> <EQ2 2005-2006> <WoW 2005-2015>
<LotRO 2007-2009> <AoC 2008-2009> <WAR 2008-2010>
<World of Tanks 2011-
premium> <SW:ToR 2011-active>
<TESO 2014-2014>

Demandread
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#21 » 15 May 2009, 16:29

cool, well ill get ready what i need to put Win 7 RC on the new rig.

and lol the case i wanted isnt available for another month so i blew my budget even further with a Silverstone FT01 bw, should have everything by the end of next week.

Demandread
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#22 » 27 May 2009, 14:47

Finally just got everything today. It will probably take me a while to put it all together as i want to sleeve all the cables and keep the case nice and neat.

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#23 » 28 May 2009, 10:15

Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Demandread
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#24 » 28 May 2009, 15:15

Nearly done, got everything in the case and loaded Win 7 up. Just need to get all the rest of my software loaded and finish off a bit of cable management and see if i can fix a slightly noisy fan.

Demandread
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#25 » 01 Jun 2009, 09:48

Got everything going now and it runs pretty damn nice. The two problems i have though are that if i use my old 7800GT to run a second screen the system will just hang every now and then and i need to restart, seems fine running both monitors from my new gtx285 though so i will probably just get rid of the 7800.

My other problem is with the wireless modem/router i got. My net seems to be running really slowly, using http://www.speedtest.net/ i only got 1.2Mbps i plugged my old modem back in and instantly got 3.6Mbps both of which i suspect are a bit low for ADSL2+ (iinet). No idea what could be going on with it. They are both Belkin modems w/ 4port ethernet and Voip that i got through iinet. Any ideas?

Demandread
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#26 » 02 Jun 2009, 00:08

All done now!!

Still having problems with my new modem though, giving me half the speed of my old one :(

Demandread
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#27 » 29 Jul 2010, 12:36

Thinking of water cooling my system but I have no experience with it at all so i'm looking for some advice.

I have two major aims, one to reduce the overall noise of the system and secondly to manage the heat in my GPU better. I am not too worried about the CPU but will need to put a block over it anyway to give me enough room for the radiators.

If you check out my case there isn't really a good spot for installing a typical water cooling setup with a twin 120 radiator so I'm looking at either mounting a 160mm radiator, if i can find one, on the top 180mm fan or using two single 120mm radiators, one mounted on the rear exhaust and the other tucked into the 5 1/4" bays.

What i'm looking at so far for gear is:

Thermochill 160 Rad
or
2 x EK­CoolStream RAD-XT (120) 120mm
and
EK-FC285 GTX PCB Rev.2 - Acetal+Nickel Video Card Block
EK­Reservoir Combo DCP 4.0
EK-Supreme HF - Acetal+Nickel CPU Block

not sure about hoses / fittings yet

Azmodeus
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#28 » 29 Jul 2010, 12:49

Demandread wrote:I have two major aims, one to reduce the overall noise of the system and secondly to manage the heat in my GPU better.

Step 1: Put on some Slayer and crank that shit up to 11, by comparison there will a significant reduction in noise of the system

Step 2: Take pants off, the heat from the PC will keep you warm over the cold lonely nights

ps. nice set up though

Demandread
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#29 » 29 Jul 2010, 14:23

Azmodeus wrote:Step 2: Take pants off

as if i would game with my pants on

Xerosin
The Patient
The Patient

Post#30 » 29 Jul 2010, 15:50

one thing to keep in mind with a water cooled system is the pump, it will make noise, depending on how cheap you go it may even be noisier than fans, think of a fishtank pump running constantly inside your pc, ive seen people try to dampen the vibrations with pieces of foam sponge etc mounted under the pump, not sure how effective it is tho.
WoW: Kirosan - 85 Mage | Reiiku - 80 Priest | Sensha - 85 Warrior | Risaka - 85 Shaman
SC2: Xerosin#530
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                     "Help me, I broke apart my insides"

Return to “Tech Forum”