Windows 7 RC

Got a question to ask of a technical nature? Want to show off your new PC specs? This forum is open to all users of the SC forums.
Rexor
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Windows 7 RC

Post by Rexor » 07 May 2009, 13:04

So I saw the news, downloaded the 64bit version and in 20minutes installed the software.

First impression (really first, I stayed up till 2am playing with it) are great. It installs fast, recongised all my [edit] hardware. After first windows update it even updated my hardware drivers for some of the obscure stuff I have attached.

Quick background: i bought vista and deleted the shit off my drive after I realised how bad / slow it is.

The biggest improvement I see is that it is very fast. Faster than XP with general applications I think. Interface is much simpler and more intuitive. Wireless networking is easy!! omfg I never thought I'd see the day.

Now the skin is average when you install it but you will see how cool the features are with the way it updates. Also, skins are instant... you don't wait 30 seconds to switch skins. It literally changes them for you periodically if yo uwant to.

So far programs I installed work without issues. I still think IE is shit even though it is apparently significantly improved. I'll be going back to Firefox at next opp. Yet to test how WAR works on it or other games but I'm sure if you google it, there'll be lots of stuff on it.

Some details: This RC version is free and will continue to work until March 2010. It is basically the Release Candidate version and it will be updated the same as the final release which is due in July I think. So for the next 10 months this means free Windows 7 Ultimate :) ... which is so far ten times better than any version of vista IMO.

ANyone have any feedback? Luv to know what are its current limits.
...many other MMOs I don't remember the details.

Silurin
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Re: Windows 7 RC

Post by Silurin » 07 May 2009, 13:31

mmm but it does turn into nagware:
Watch the calendar. The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you’ll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010. You’ll also need to install the programs and data that you want to use.
thats more than annoying :(
LOTRO - Elendilmir : The Secret World : Guild Wars 2 - IoJ : WoW - Dath'Remar : DDO - Khyber : AoC - Bloodspire : WAR - Ironclaw
Silyth - Lvl 85 Warden : Silurin Maelhach - Lvl 70 Champion : Falyme - Chaos/AR : Falyme - Warrior : Falyme - Lvl 70 Undead Rogue : Rajeal - Lvl 9 Bard / 2 Rogue : Dralion - Lvl 74 Tempest of Set : Skelm - Lvl 28 Disciple of Khaine

Jesspian
The Patient
The Patient

Post by Jesspian » 07 May 2009, 13:58

We have have Win7 loaded onto a couple virtual machines here at work to test out products and for the support team as we already have claimed full Win7 computability.

So far I really like it, it feels like everything they wanted to do with Vista but couldn't. Its quick and doesn't cause any trouble.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ck&n=Kujju
Jesspian 60 Hunter - (can craft ONYXIA cloaks)

Spoticus
Warchief
Warchief

Post by Spoticus » 07 May 2009, 22:23

been using it on my new PC install, very nice, only program to have issues with is msn messenger lol. Ati 9.4s were a prick to install but are fine once they are.

All games I have tried have worked fine etc, personally I didnt mind Vista, but you did need that extra gig of ram for it. win7 is basically vista but better in pretty much every way.

Wasnt a huge fan of the new taskbar on default settings but I am actually liking it now I have tweaked the settings a bit.
SWG - Wookiee Tailor & Dark Jedi || DAoC - Merc CoH - Scrapper || CoV - Ninja MM
EQ2 - Jeweler || GW Wa/Me & Mo/Ne WoW - Warlock/Jeweller || LotRO - Champion/Armourer
WAR - Marauder, Choppa

Chrien
Herald of the Titans
Herald of the Titans

Post by Chrien » 08 May 2009, 17:30

Welcome to Vista with a new name vista haters :p
Chrien
"You've gotta make decisions, you've gotta keep making decisions, even if they're wrong decisions. If you don't make decisions you're stuffed" - Joe Simpson
Currently Playing: World of Warcraft
Current Character: Khrien - Druid - Horde Khaz-goroth

Rexor
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post by Rexor » 08 May 2009, 19:21

Chrien wrote:Welcome to Vista with a new name vista haters :p
LOL

vista has come out of beta... welcome to windows 7

MuzzDaFuzz
High Overlord
High Overlord

Post by MuzzDaFuzz » 09 May 2009, 12:09

installed it on my laptop
loved the 20 min format/install
the only driver i had to download was for the bluetooth
with vista my ram was at idle 50% usage, windows 7 sits on like 21%
load boot up times are wicked, love some of the little features
like dragging a screen to the left or right edge will size it to exactly 50% screen size
shaking screen to minimise others ahah
the taskbar
that snipit tool
new paint :P
after showing other guys at uni alot have reformatted to windows 7

buying a new pc soon and gonna put windows 7 on it

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post by Fitz » 09 May 2009, 19:44

Yeh pretty impressed with it..thought it was going to format my HDD first, as it said it would, but still had files there /shrug.

Can I now delete the windows.old and program files (X86) ?

Spoticus
Warchief
Warchief

Post by Spoticus » 09 May 2009, 19:48

definitely do not delete Program Files (x86), you will find thats where 80% of your installed programs go by default.

edit: only just noticed it was Fitz asking. So go ahead and let us know how deleting goes.
SWG - Wookiee Tailor & Dark Jedi || DAoC - Merc CoH - Scrapper || CoV - Ninja MM
EQ2 - Jeweler || GW Wa/Me & Mo/Ne WoW - Warlock/Jeweller || LotRO - Champion/Armourer
WAR - Marauder, Choppa

Selphie
Epic!
Epic!

Post by Selphie » 10 May 2009, 11:38

i've read in a few places that windows 7 actually has better performance and resource management than xp. confirm/deny?

Chrien
Herald of the Titans
Herald of the Titans

Post by Chrien » 10 May 2009, 11:54

even vista has better system performance than xp nowdays so I imagine thats a yes.
Chrien
"You've gotta make decisions, you've gotta keep making decisions, even if they're wrong decisions. If you don't make decisions you're stuffed" - Joe Simpson
Currently Playing: World of Warcraft
Current Character: Khrien - Druid - Horde Khaz-goroth

Selphie
Epic!
Epic!

Post by Selphie » 15 May 2009, 11:39

anyone know the difference between available and free ram in performance tab of the task manager in win7?
atm with only a few apps open i have 1.2gb cached, 6.4gb available and 5.2gb free of 8gb total

why is available and free different?

Rexor
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post by Rexor » 15 May 2009, 11:51

Selphie wrote:anyone know the difference between available and free ram in performance tab of the task manager in win7?
atm with only a few apps open i have 1.2gb cached, 6.4gb available and 5.2gb free of 8gb total

why is available and free different?
if you use the analogy of a hooker for example, they may be available but they are not free...

(sorry idk the answer to your question :oops: )

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Secro » 15 May 2009, 13:37

it sorta pre-loads thing you may use, keeps the ram in use instead of free ram just sitting there doing nothing.
Hence why stuff seems to open so quickly I suspect!

Vista does it as well, i think they just refined it in win 7 cause our test machine at work is lightning fast and the hardware is shit.
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Barga
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Post by Barga » 27 May 2009, 11:30

well I was going to get Vista, as much as I hate it. But after reading this I'm convinced this is a good replacement.

64 bit version or 32? I assume new CPUs can run 64 fine?