Gaming Laptop

Got a question to ask of a technical nature? Want to show off your new PC specs? This forum is open to all users of the SC forums.
Silurin
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Gaming Laptop

Post#1 » 17 Mar 2009, 16:21

Anyone got any recommendations of current or (very) near future gaming laptops. Minimum requirements I'm looking at are a 9800M graphics chip (not SLI) and 4GB DDR3 RAM, other than that I'm not overly fussed. oh and around the $4000.00 mark.

I've been looking at the Toshiba Qosmio X300 but recently found this Sager company building high-end gaming systems, unfortunately they're US based and the models which come with GTX2xx graphics cards aren't available yet anyways.
LOTRO - Elendilmir : The Secret World : Guild Wars 2 - IoJ : WoW - Dath'Remar : DDO - Khyber : AoC - Bloodspire : WAR - Ironclaw
Silyth - Lvl 85 Warden : Silurin Maelhach - Lvl 70 Champion : Falyme - Chaos/AR : Falyme - Warrior : Falyme - Lvl 70 Undead Rogue : Rajeal - Lvl 9 Bard / 2 Rogue : Dralion - Lvl 74 Tempest of Set : Skelm - Lvl 28 Disciple of Khaine

simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Re: Gaming Laptop

Post#2 » 18 Mar 2009, 09:39

Although I hate Dell, the Dell XPS series are pretty good when it comes to value for money. I got one of the 1540's last year, ran very smooth. But the only problem is that it says dell on it, and I'm pretty sure it comes with this version of vista tht is gayed up by Dell.
Add me on Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/Simonsmp/
Simonsmp for Prime Minister
DPS Paladin!

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#3 » 18 Mar 2009, 10:01

Dells warranties are awesome and with a $4k laptop I'd want a fucking good warranty. Dell XPS line looks clunky and boxy to my eyes though.
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#4 » 18 Mar 2009, 10:16

well they gotta fit in all the leet hardware d00d?! :D
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Silurin
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post#5 » 18 Mar 2009, 11:53

simonsmp wrote:Although I hate Dell, the Dell XPS series are pretty good when it comes to value for money. I got one of the 1540's last year, ran very smooth. But the only problem is that it says dell on it, and I'm pretty sure it comes with this version of vista tht is gayed up by Dell.
I've had Dell laptops for years now both at work and personally and they've been quality and reliable to a large extent. I've been looking at the XPS models for a long time now, they don't fit the bill in graphic chipset capabilities (only 8xxx series and the best XPS option is an SLI model which I don't see as necessary at this point).
Kashak wrote:Dells warranties are awesome and with a $4k laptop I'd want a fucking good warranty. Dell XPS line looks clunky and boxy to my eyes though.
Spill warranties are a wonderful way for a laptop refresh near the end of your warranty terms ;) most of the gaming laptops have that chunky look at the moment though, many of them use near full size graphics cards and so need the space, it's one of the reasons I'm looking for something with the GTX2x0 chipset though as they are supposed to be much smaller and more heat efficient

so anyone have any ideas yet?
LOTRO - Elendilmir : The Secret World : Guild Wars 2 - IoJ : WoW - Dath'Remar : DDO - Khyber : AoC - Bloodspire : WAR - Ironclaw
Silyth - Lvl 85 Warden : Silurin Maelhach - Lvl 70 Champion : Falyme - Chaos/AR : Falyme - Warrior : Falyme - Lvl 70 Undead Rogue : Rajeal - Lvl 9 Bard / 2 Rogue : Dralion - Lvl 74 Tempest of Set : Skelm - Lvl 28 Disciple of Khaine

Skidmark
The Patient
The Patient

Post#6 » 18 Mar 2009, 12:50

Get a desktop, portable generator and a baby harness. Attach generator to tower, put in baby harness and hang off back. Carry monitor and place on a flat surface. Enjoy good gaming performance, probably cheaper than an equivalant laptop even with the genny. A bit bulky I spose.
=-=-=-=-=

Fellhahn
Warchief
Warchief

Post#7 » 19 Mar 2009, 19:22

Sager are an awesome company, they essentially stuff a high end desktop into a laptop chassis. The heat on them is ridiculous I'm told though. If you can find the pics, you'll see for some that they actually have a fully exposed copper heat block/distributor on the bottom, so forget about putting it in your lap.

Have you found anywhere that will ship a Sager to you here in Aus?

Silurin
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post#8 » 19 Mar 2009, 22:13

Fellhahn wrote:Have you found anywhere that will ship a Sager to you here in Aus?
I didn't really bother looking into it that much - with the aussie dollar against the US and import tax it would break the bank pretty easy :( I suppose it can't hurt to shoot em an email and see if they have anyone local

Chrien
Herald of the Titans
Herald of the Titans

Post#9 » 20 Mar 2009, 11:06

My brother bought one of the top of the line Dell XPS' about 6 weeks ago and its given him nothing but grief. Bluetooth hasn't worked from day one, random hard crashes, USB slots not working. Dell has replaced the mainboard twice, replaced the bluetooth module twice as well, replaced the RAM as well and it still randomly fucks up.

That said his last Dell worked fine, so go figure.
Chrien
"You've gotta make decisions, you've gotta keep making decisions, even if they're wrong decisions. If you don't make decisions you're stuffed" - Joe Simpson
Currently Playing: World of Warcraft
Current Character: Khrien - Druid - Horde Khaz-goroth

Silurin
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post#10 » 20 Mar 2009, 11:52

Sent an email to Sager, no answer yet. Priced up this while I was there:
- Chassis Color: Orange Trim
- Display: 17" Wide Viewing Angles WUXGA LCD with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1200)[+$95.00]
- Processor: 45nm Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9550 / 6MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz, 1066MHz FSB[+$130.00]
- Video & Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M Graphics with 1GB DDR3 Video Memory
- Operating System: Genuine MS Windows® VISTA ULTIMATE 32/64-Bit Edition[+$80.00]
- Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 2 X 2048MB[+$50.00]
- Primary Hard Disk Drive: 320GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive[+$45.00]
- Optical Drive: 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
- Wireless Network Card: Intel Wi-Fi Link 5300AGN - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
- Bluetooth: Internal Bluetooth V2.0 + EDR Module
- Intel Robson Technology: Intel 4GB TurboMemory Module[+$85.00]
- Primary Battery: Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
- Integrated Security Device: Fingerprint Reader
- Microsoft Office: Microsoft Office Ready with Free 60-Day Trial
- Warranty: Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty with Three-Day Shipping Both Ways Paid
- Carrying Bag: Standard Carrying Bag
$2,284.00 USD = $3329.00 AUD.
Thats a good price overall for the capability. A quick run through the Customs website and if it costs $150 for postage then the imporrt tax on top of all that would be around $530. It may just come in under $4000.00 :mrgreen:

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#11 » 20 Mar 2009, 13:21

1 year warranty. Bit short depending on how long you'll use it :)
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Silurin
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post#12 » 15 Dec 2009, 08:34

Price and components have finally come within range so ordered a DreamBook W86 i7:
Intel Core i7 820QM
6GB DDR3 1333 RAM
GTX 280M 1GB DDR3
Blu-Ray Combo Drive
128GB SSD
+ odds & sods

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#13 » 15 Dec 2009, 08:35

jeez, what a beast laptop.
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

nitrofenix
LotRO Kinship Leader
LotRO Kinship Leader

Post#14 » 15 Dec 2009, 11:53

Silurin wrote:Price and components have finally come within range so ordered a DreamBook W86 i7:
Intel Core i7 820QM
6GB DDR3 1333 RAM
GTX 280M 1GB DDR3
Blu-Ray Combo Drive
128GB SSD
+ odds & sods

Nice one!

What was the final price?
LOTRO: Ohtarwen, lv71 Champ / Valaena, lv71 Warden / Meldariel, lv60 LM / Durandir, lv44 Hunter / Penni, lv43 Healbot

Silurin
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post#15 » 15 Dec 2009, 12:15

nitrofenix wrote:What was the final price?
my soul in perpetual servitude to my missus :wink: hahah

$4700.00

Return to “Tech Forum”