Nintendo DS Homebrew WiFi

Got a question to ask of a technical nature? Want to show off your new PC specs? This forum is open to all users of the SC forums.
Fellhahn
Warchief
Warchief

Nintendo DS Homebrew WiFi

Post by Fellhahn » 04 Jun 2008, 22:54

The world's most awesome wife, my wife, recently bought me a shiney new black DS. Supposed to be my graduation present but she sucks at secrets and gave it to me early. Being the world's most awesome wife she also bought me CycloDS cart. I was shocked and delighted that she even knew flash carts for the DS existed :P

Anyway I've been busy trying different homebrew software with very little success. One consistent problem is homebrew that uses a wifi connection, particularly, NDS Mail and BeUP. They simply wont connect to the access point, despite ingame connection tests (such as through Zelda) proving successful.

Anyone know a few things about DS homebrew?

What's odd is I have DS Organize running (though it constantly locks up at random points :x ), it's browser doesn't work, however the IRC client works as does the "homebrew browser" function, a function which connects through wifi to let you browse and download other homebrew software kept on some server out in the aether.

Using NDS Mail v0.60, also tried 0.56 and 0.55.
BeUP v3.0e, v3.0 also didn't work.

Router/Modem/AP is Motorola SBG900. Firewall is completely disabled. DHCP is running however I've made a reserved lease for the DS. All network settings are entered manually into the DS, test fine, not using auto-obtain IP on the DS

And last one is Lick's iPod simulator, or lmp-ng. Does anyone have a working, skinnable version? I've tried v1.02, 2 alpha, and 4alpha.

1.02 just crashes the DS as soon as I try to load. 2 alpha sometimes loads, sometimes just crashes, when it does load I get iPod interface but then it freezes.
4 alpha works but has no skinning option. Also when it finishes playing the last song in its list it locks and DS has to be rebooted.

Spyder
Elemental Lord
Elemental Lord

Re: Nintendo DS Homebrew WiFi

Post by Spyder » 05 Jun 2008, 00:18

From what I remember wifi support was via a library someone wrote, the non-working apps are probably using an older version of the library than the stuff that works.
Spyder - Pally Healer, WoW Blackrock (retired lv70)

Torleshka
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Post by Torleshka » 05 Jun 2008, 09:17

Because i'm a slackass and haven't bothered looking for a while, does anyone know if SNES emulators will work on these things yet? I've seen a lot of mixed reports.

Portable Chrono Trigger FTW!

Fellhahn
Warchief
Warchief

Post by Fellhahn » 05 Jun 2008, 16:36

Spyder wrote:From what I remember wifi support was via a library someone wrote, the non-working apps are probably using an older version of the library than the stuff that works.

So for the disfunctional software to work it woulkd need to be re written from the ground up using the new library?

Fellhahn
Warchief
Warchief

Post by Fellhahn » 05 Jun 2008, 22:14

Well I reverted to an older version of DS Organizer (3.1229) and it runs beautifully now, no bugs, web browser works great.

Got the iPod simulator to work, error was on my part, extracting skins when they're supposed to be left as a zip file in the skins folder.

NDS Mail and BeUP still have the same problem.

Next project is to get the ScummVM engine running, portable Sam n Max, Day of the Tentacle. Hell yes :)

Wish me luck.

simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Post by simonsmp » 06 Jun 2008, 14:11

Fellhahn wrote:Wish me luck.

Good luck :)
Add me on Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/Simonsmp/
Simonsmp for Prime Minister
DPS Paladin!

Fellhahn
Warchief
Warchief

Post by Fellhahn » 06 Jun 2008, 16:44

Update:

Got NDS Mail working. Here's how;

Erased my Nintendo WFC settings completely through an ingame menu (Zelda)

Disabled WEP and power cycled router.

Restarted DS, entered DS organizer, through DSO configuration re-entered firmware WFC settings, no DHCP, no WEP key. Save and exit config.

Restarted DS, ran NDS mail, it now connected to the AP properly. Configured my mail account options, could send and recieve mail from the DS fine.

Turned DS off.

Went back to router, re-enabled WEP, saved and power cycled (An actual pull of the plug, not just the in browser reboot button)

Turned DS back on, went back to DS Organizer.

Went to config -> firmware wifi settings again. Entered the WEP key. Sace and exit.

Restarted DS, ran NDS mail. NDS Mail still connected fine by default, mail send/recieve working perfectly.

Restarted, ran Zelda again, entered Battle mode. Here it gave me some message about Nintendo WFC settings not present (on the game file i think it meant) and do i want to copy. Said yes.

Played a round of Zelda online, no worries.

Restarted and ran NDS mail again, again all working sweet.

Ran DS organizer and did a random search through the web browser, worked sweet.

So I now have full connectivity/functionality for NDS Mail, Officical Games, and DSO web browser. I am a happy man :D

I think the the key points were:

Erasing all WFC settings through an ingame menu.

Re-entering using DSO's config.

Updating/checking wep settings on router and peforming a proper hard reboot to ensure settings are being implemented.

The MSN client also now connects properly o the AP, allows me to input username and password, says authorised, but I'm currently getting a "SSL connect failed".

So just one error left to go, but at leats I don't think this one is a problem with my personal connection settings, as I can get an SSL connection with gmail via NDS mail just fine.

Spyder
Elemental Lord
Elemental Lord

Post by Spyder » 06 Jun 2008, 19:00

Torleshka wrote:Because i'm a slackass and haven't bothered looking for a while, does anyone know if SNES emulators will work on these things yet? I've seen a lot of mixed reports.

Portable Chrono Trigger FTW!
Yes and no, some games work but the DS only has 4mb ram and the Chrono Trigger rom is bigger than 4mb :(

Fellhahn wrote:Next project is to get the ScummVM engine running, portable Sam n Max, Day of the Tentacle. Hell yes :)
I have both, they work in talky mode :D (also have monkey island 1&2)

Only problem is the DS screen is has a smaller resolution than VGA so the graphics are slightly scaled down on the bottom screen, full res on the top screen around the mouse cursor. Also, you're using the d-pad to switch between left/right click in DOTT and between the different options in S&M.

Other than that, it works fine with only a tiny bit of lag now and then. Unless you decide to MP3 compress the speech, at which point cutscenes will lag terribly.

Fellhahn
Warchief
Warchief

Post by Fellhahn » 06 Jun 2008, 22:40

Update! :D

Beup is working, huzzah.

The problem was that the client couldn't find the passport server. Microsoft's passport servers change ips from time to time. The problem is with the client coding, it doesn't use name resolution, instead in the past the author has simply resolved the names himself and hard coded the ip address into the software. When the server moves ip address, the only way to fix the client is to actually change the ip address written in the code. I have no knowledge of programming and currently no real desire to learn, it was simply a matter of digging long enough to find a recent version with the correct addresses written in.

I think there may be an even newer version that does perform its own address resolution however the author's site is currently down and has been for the last day.

If you want a working client; http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63465 Click the link in the first poster's sig.

ScummVM is also working, had no troubles getting it to work other than trying to dig up my old games discs to pull the data off :P If anyone else wants it, http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/ should have all the answers. Currently enjoying Monkey Island 1, Fate of Atlantis and Sam n Max. Sadly Full Throttle doesn't run, not without using DS Linux which is a headache I can do without just to get one game.

Next project: An eBook reader, and an FTP client. Don't know if I actually need but ... yeah.

Torleshka
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Post by Torleshka » 07 Jun 2008, 09:20

Spyder wrote:Yes and no, some games work but the DS only has 4mb ram and the Chrono Trigger rom is bigger than 4mb :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :cry:

Spyder
Elemental Lord
Elemental Lord

Post by Spyder » 07 Jun 2008, 11:54

apparently DSLinux has surpassed the limitation and can use ram from the M3 or the Opera memory expansion kit, but that stuff is much slower than normal DS ram.

Still it looks like someone does have it running, I cbf finding out more but if anyone does let me know ;)
http://www.google.com/search?q=chrono+trigger+ds

Fellhahn
Warchief
Warchief

Post by Fellhahn » 07 Jun 2008, 17:08

Update!

DS FTP is gold, god I wish I'd made it the first app I installed. You can run your DS as an FTP server, then connect to it with whatever FTP client program you use and push files across onto it, no more pulling the tiny Micro SD in and out between your flash cart and the USB adaptor. only limitation I've found is that I can't create new directories directly on the DS. However if you make the directory on your PC and then push that across it works.

I settled on DS Reader for an eBook reader. It's not ideal imo but the only two decent readers available seem to be DS Reader and ReadMore. I liked Readmore's sideways book like orientation, and touch screen page turning. But the fonts were giving me issues and there was no option for white text on black background. There's a horde of defunct web pages that talk about Flip, which looked amazing, side orientation, customizable font and background color and support for pdf. Yet depsite all the talk and few screenshots it seems it was never actually released :(

Using DS2Win 0.81c aswell, lets me use the DS touchpad as a mouse to control my PC remotely. I'd never use for anything serious but good when I'm watching movies off the pC on my couch and I don't want to get up.

Trialed both Phidias and Colors! for a painting app, and chose colors, it's very intuitive and fun.

Final project: Flash the firmware to get rid of that damn health and safety warning, then I think I'm done.

Spyder
Elemental Lord
Elemental Lord

Post by Spyder » 07 Jun 2008, 18:38

Gotta be careful with firmware flashing, if Nintendo ever update the firmware (happened with MKDS) then you have to hope like hell the emergency reflash works otherwise your DS is a brick.

Interesting use of DS for watching TV, I find proper remotes with MythTV reading a network drive are easier :P

Fellhahn
Warchief
Warchief

Post by Fellhahn » 07 Jun 2008, 22:08

Yeah I'm reading up on the flashing procedure and it's making me a bit nervous, talks about opening the battery cover and shorting pins :? That's a bit too deep into the darkside for my comfort.

Anyway I've finalised all my configuring, troubleshooting and skinning and my final compiled list of homebrew is thusly:

Flash cart: DS Cyclo Evolution - Using simple black space skin.

Homebrew:

DS Organize - Skinned with iPhone icons.
NDS Mail
Beup
ScummVM DS
DS FTP
Colors!
DS Maps
DS Reader
DSVideo
Win2DS
LMP (iPod sim)

If anyones got suggestions for a must have application I've missed, please let me know! :D

Spyder
Elemental Lord
Elemental Lord

Post by Spyder » 07 Jun 2008, 22:32

you're far more eager than I ever was... aside from scummvm, I only really use it for DS games I am considering buying and GBA games I can't find on eBay (I'm using an older homebrew kit that runs off the gba slot so it can run both GBA and DS games).

Since I own an iPod and am considering an n810 for my handheld computing needs, I doubt I'll ever use my DS for anything other than games ;)