VHD Day?

Got a question to ask of a technical nature? Want to show off your new PC specs? This forum is open to all users of the SC forums.
nucleon
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

VHD Day?

Post by nucleon » 20 Feb 2008, 08:52

HD format war is over:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/ ... esses/1482

Press Release: Toshiba Announces Discontinuation of HD DVD Businesses

Tue Feb 19, 2008 at 03:00 AM ET
Tags: Toshiba (all tags)
Below is the entire text of Toshiba's Tuesday morning press release:

For Immediate Release

Toshiba Announces Discontinuation of HD DVD Businesses

Company Remains Focused on Championing Consumer Access to High Definition Content

TOKYO (February 19, 2008) -- Toshiba Corporation today announced that it has undertaken a thorough review of its overall strategy for HD DVD and has decided it will no longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders. This decision has been made following recent major changes in the market. Toshiba will continue, however, to provide full product support and after-sales service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.

HD DVD was developed to offer consumers access at an affordable price to high-quality, high definition content and prepare them for the digital convergence of tomorrow where the fusion of consumer electronics and IT will continue to progress.

“We carefully assessed the long-term impact of continuing the so-called 'next-generation format war' and concluded that a swift decision will best help the market develop,” said Atsutoshi Nishida, President and CEO of Toshiba Corporation. "While we are disappointed for the company and more importantly, for the consumer, the real mass market opportunity for high definition content remains untapped and Toshiba is both able and determined to use our talent, technology and intellectual property to make digital convergence a reality.”

Toshiba will continue to lead innovation, in a wide range of technologies that will drive mass market access to high definition content. These include high capacity NAND flash memory, small form factor hard disk drives, next generation CPUs, visual processing, and wireless and encryption technologies. The company expects to make forthcoming announcements around strategic progress in these convergence technologies.

Toshiba will begin to reduce shipments of HD DVD players and recorders to retail channels, aiming for cessation of these businesses by the end of March 2008. Toshiba also plans to end volume production of HD DVD disk drives for such applications as PCs and games in the same timeframe, yet will continue to make efforts to meet customer requirements. The company will continue to assess the position of notebook PCs with integrated HD DVD drives within the overall PC business relative to future market demand.

This decision will not impact on Toshiba’s commitment to standard DVD, and the company will continue to market conventional DVD players and recorders. Toshiba intends to continue to contribute to the development of the DVD industry, as a member of the DVD Forum, an international organization with some 200 member companies, committed to the discussion and defining of optimum optical disc formats for the consumer and the related industries.

Toshiba also intends to maintain collaborative relations with the companies who joined with Toshiba in working to build up the HD DVD market, including Universal Studios, Paramount Pictures, and DreamWorks Animation and major Japanese and European content providers on the entertainment side, as well as leaders in the IT industry, including Microsoft, Intel, and HP. Toshiba will study possible collaboration with these companies for future business opportunities, utilizing the many assets generated through the development of HD DVD.

CoV - Soundspeed (Son/Kin Cor)
CoH - Ms Taken (Storm/NRG Def) GoldenRock (Rock/Rock Tank)
WoW - Omikron (Druid) KappaOmikron (Shaman)

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kashak » 20 Feb 2008, 11:45

sad day. Again proves what the studios want will win out over what is best for the consumer every time.

Fuck em both I say. Im not paying double the price for higher rez
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Secro » 20 Feb 2008, 12:37

Are you talking about the players Kash, or the media?

It's dropping in price fairly rapidly anyway =)
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Scarixi
The Patient
The Patient

Post by Scarixi » 20 Feb 2008, 15:36

Kashak wrote:Again proves what the studios want will win out over what is best for the consumer every time.

Out of curiosity, what makes HD better than Bluray?

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kashak » 20 Feb 2008, 16:45

As far as I recall it had no region lock which in my books is a boon in my books. Correct me if Im wrong.
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur

wazari
I Am Legendary
I Am Legendary

Post by wazari » 20 Feb 2008, 16:53

Kashak wrote:As far as I recall it had no region lock which in my books is a boon in my books. Correct me if Im wrong.

you sure sound like you like books
wazari | irazaw | wazaro | orazaw

bnet - Wazari#6219

#1 Countrist in the world!

ǝɯ ʇou 'uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹɐ noʎ

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kashak » 20 Feb 2008, 16:59

wazari wrote:
Kashak wrote:As far as I recall it had no region lock which in my books is a boon in my books. Correct me if Im wrong.

you sure sound like you like books

lol long day. I do like books tho.
Steam Surg3on / Kashak

Fellhahn
Warchief
Warchief

Post by Fellhahn » 20 Feb 2008, 17:20

Lol, books are fun.

Kind of old news, HD has been on a slide for some time. When Universal or Warner or whichever studio it was announced they were ending their contract with HD come June things were in the bag for Bluray.

Personally, considering the higher storage (25G per layer vs 15G) I think Bluray is the better format, at least it will be when internal PC drives become common place.

If you look at a list of what Bluray titles are region coded, you'll see that many are actually region free. It's down to the studio that produces them, not the format exclusively.

Furthermore, format wars are bad for the public. People shouldn't have to pay for two different players. Neither should they buy one only to go to the store and find out they can't buy some of their favourite films cos they're in the wrong format. The whole thing needed to finish and I'm glad it has, happier still that the better format won.

Bluray players are on average $200 dearer atm but they'll drop, as everything always does. Anyone remember when an internal PC DVD burner cost $1000?

Chrien
Herald of the Titans
Herald of the Titans

Post by Chrien » 23 Feb 2008, 16:49

Bluray might have won but am I the only one who thinks that digital distrbution is the next big thing, not bluray? The picture difference isn't that huge and most people don't care. And with a recession starting the USA and people over here starting to tighten their belts i wonder whose willing to spend the dollars for a marginal improvement in quality.
Chrien
"You've gotta make decisions, you've gotta keep making decisions, even if they're wrong decisions. If you don't make decisions you're stuffed" - Joe Simpson
Currently Playing: World of Warcraft
Current Character: Khrien - Druid - Horde Khaz-goroth

nucleon
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Post by nucleon » 23 Feb 2008, 20:51

Chrien wrote:Bluray might have won but am I the only one who thinks that digital distrbution is the next big thing, not bluray? The picture difference isn't that huge and most people don't care. And with a recession starting the USA and people over here starting to tighten their belts i wonder whose willing to spend the dollars for a marginal improvement in quality.

HD is only good for those with large high def sets. The rest of us still have 68cm-ish sets where we really don't get that big of improvment.

Yes - digital distribution needs to be fixed. I would much rather buy heroes at $1/wk week than watch it with adverts.

-- Craig
CoV - Soundspeed (Son/Kin Cor)
CoH - Ms Taken (Storm/NRG Def) GoldenRock (Rock/Rock Tank)
WoW - Omikron (Druid) KappaOmikron (Shaman)

Fellhahn
Warchief
Warchief

Post by Fellhahn » 23 Feb 2008, 21:11

Until ISPs drop their bullshit bandwidth caps, (Have a look at countries like Sweden that do internet right, there's no such thing as a "download limit") digital distribution will remain an unobtainable dream. Most people are unwilling to sacrifice a third of their monthly limit to DL one movie, whose use is brutally restricted by DRM and which could be lost in an instant due to a failed drive or power spike (Reliable and stable power being another area Australia is woefully behind on).

Chrien
Herald of the Titans
Herald of the Titans

Post by Chrien » 23 Feb 2008, 21:14

Australia doesn't set the standards, so its not a matter of what they do here, its what happens in the states as its the largest entertainment market.
Chrien
"You've gotta make decisions, you've gotta keep making decisions, even if they're wrong decisions. If you don't make decisions you're stuffed" - Joe Simpson
Currently Playing: World of Warcraft
Current Character: Khrien - Druid - Horde Khaz-goroth