Router Issue.....

Got a question to ask of a technical nature? Want to show off your new PC specs? This forum is open to all users of the SC forums.
Malkeir
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Router Issue.....

Post by Malkeir » 09 Feb 2008, 12:24

Um here the problem... for like the last 4 days every night when i try to log wow/surf net my router seems to want to go on a continuous reset.. like it will connect for bout 15 seconds then just randomly resest and connect all ova again.. now i think it has something to do with this computer but i not entirely sure.. ive call my isp they say there nothin wrong on there end and ive tried all the normal stuff resetting router blah blah blah just wondering if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated..

Regards

Malkeir

Frosty
Brewmaster
Brewmaster

Post by Frosty » 09 Feb 2008, 16:56

Few bits of information I need:

1. What router is it? make, model number
2. Is your computer complaining of limited or no connectivity
3. How long does your lan connection say its been up for?
4. How hot is the router
5. If you're using wireless, I beat you.
6. What operating system?
7. Your router should have connection stats, tell me how long it says its been connected.
8. What ISP? If its Internode, PM me your username

and I cbf writing anymore

Selphie
Epic!
Epic!

Post by Selphie » 09 Feb 2008, 17:44

Frosty wrote:5. If you're using wireless, I beat you.
epic fail

btw my first guess is your router is broken. but what froste said is the right approach.

Malkeir
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Malkeir » 09 Feb 2008, 22:52

1. What router is it? make, model number
2. Is your computer complaining of limited or no connectivity
3. How long does your lan connection say its been up for?
4. How hot is the router
5. If you're using wireless, I beat you.
6. What operating system?
7. Your router should have connection stats, tell me how long it says its been connected.
8. What ISP? If its Internode, PM me your username

1. D-Link DSL G604T.
2. No its not.
3. Couldn tell u atm its working fine zzzzzzzz.. can repost bout this if and when it happens again.
4. Mmm hotter than it maybe should be maybe.
5. lawl silly question course i do...... jks no way
6. xp home sp2....
7. don no bout this where would it be?
8. TPG internet.. just transfered to this dakiean has aswell he hasn had any problems as far as i know...

Selphie
Epic!
Epic!

Post by Selphie » 09 Feb 2008, 23:48

1. D-Link DSL G604T.
that's a wireless modem router isn't it?
Last edited by Selphie on 10 Feb 2008, 01:39, edited 1 time in total.

Glitchz0r
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post by Glitchz0r » 10 Feb 2008, 01:06

Selphie wrote:1. D-Link DSL G604T.
that's a wireless modem router isn't it?[/quote]

his answer to question 5 was no, so im guessing its not!

(i doubt anyone is stupid enough to not notice a cat5 cable running out of their computer and along the floor ^_^)

Selphie
Epic!
Epic!

Post by Selphie » 10 Feb 2008, 01:37

Glitchz0r wrote:
Selphie wrote:that's a wireless modem router isn't it?

his answer to question 5 was no, so im guessing its not!

(i doubt anyone is stupid enough to not notice a cat5 cable running out of their computer and along the floor ^_^)
i work at wow, remember? http://www.dlink.com.au/Products.aspx?S ... 2=2&PID=50

fail. :P
just because it has wireless doesn't mean he uses it. ;)

i was just wondering and was too lazy to check at the time.

Frosty
Brewmaster
Brewmaster

Post by Frosty » 10 Feb 2008, 17:48

Hrm.

Alright

1. I'm not froste, we're different people.

2. Next time this happens I want you to look at the uptime of your LAN connection, see if its just reconnected itself or is going up and down like Secro on MJ.

3. If you've rung whatever ISP you subscribe to and they've told you its fine, its either one of two things.

A. Your ISP sucks balls and someone fobbed you off.
B. They've checked their radius logs and can't see any interruption of service. Mind you, if you turn off the router to fix this issue and they've told you this then they've fobbed you off.

I'd recommend you remove all phones from the phone lines, all filters and everything else, then try doing it. See if you start disconnecting. If you do, check the lan uptime and past that I'd suggest a firmware upgrade on your router.

Bah.

Failing that, keep ringing AAPT till you get someone who doesn't suck. Theres one in every call center whose angry, pissed off and downtrodden but damn good at his job and he/she knows their shit. Long as you're nice to them they'll bend over backwards cause its easier for them than having some other mouth breather screw it up when you call back.

Malkeir
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Malkeir » 10 Feb 2008, 18:14

yea selphie that is wireless router but wireless as u said is complete fail and i don use it :). but yea i not a complete spaz at computers lol.

but back to frosty..

1. ok didn no this lol, other froste is not as cool as u i should have seen it :P.
2. ok will do, im sure it will... mmm didn need to no that but meh whateva. does if for them i spose.
3. A. mmm well thatd be fukin gay... ill change ISP give me suggestion kgo.
B. mmm i could have been fogged lol.. done this like several times.

there are no phones/filters on the line its dedicated to our adsl :). mm yea firmware upgrade could be the go.

but yea if i cant get it sorted ill either just keep ringing till i can get it fixed or try a new router. But yea if it really comes down to it and my current ISP is gay then its time for a change lol..

Glitchz0r
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post by Glitchz0r » 10 Feb 2008, 20:29

Selphie wrote:i work at wow, remember? ;)

i worked at the Telstra adsl helpdesk, remember ;)

OH SNAP!

Malkeir wrote:yea selphie that is wireless router but wireless as u said is complete fail and i don use it :). but yea i not a complete spaz at computers lol.

but back to frosty..

1. ok didn no this lol, other froste is not as cool as u i should have seen it :P.
2. ok will do, im sure it will... mmm didn need to no that but meh whateva. does if for them i spose.
3. A. mmm well thatd be fukin gay... ill change ISP give me suggestion kgo.
B. mmm i could have been fogged lol.. done this like several times.

there are no phones/filters on the line its dedicated to our adsl :). mm yea firmware upgrade could be the go.

but yea if i cant get it sorted ill either just keep ringing till i can get it fixed or try a new router. But yea if it really comes down to it and my current ISP is gay then its time for a change lol..

arrgghhh headache speak.

As Frosty said, it sounds more like a problem with your internet connection rather than a routing issue atm. The question about the up-time is aimed at trying to found out if its the internet connection dropping out, or if the problem is something local.

Question tho, do you have a network set up.. and is there more than one computer on the network? If so, do you have these dropout problems these computers?

I know Telstra don't support connections with more than one computer. When i was working at the Telstra helpdesk, some of the network troubleshooting calls took HOURS, so we cut support for it completely. Check with your ISP (Optus im guessing with that modem) to see if the offer networking support.

Look at your connection time like Frosty said, and let us know how long your modem has been connected for, its best to try this when your experiencing the dropouts.

If you are certain the fault is not on your end, or is a fault with the modem (and its under contract) then by all means request your ISP forwards a request for a RVOP on the adsl line. This will test the line from the exchange to your boundary point. The problem with this, is that if the fault is found on your side, you'll have to fork out a $99 service fee that goes into the pockets of Telstra, for doing the testing.

Malkeir
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Malkeir » 10 Feb 2008, 21:36

@ Glithchzor..

yea just waiting for it to drop out again..

also yea i have a network setup. well i cant be sure whether it happens on our other comps i don use them and well they always seem to be fine. Normally it stays connected when just using the net and that but yea i don no its retarded.. And na its not Optus its TPG internet, mate has it and said it goes alright so i switched to it. Pretty sure it FAILS lol. Stupid fuken dakiean and his gaylord ISP FUK........only started happining since i changed zzzzz. Ill have to ring them to c bout the networking support. Also ive heard there has been some issues at the local enchange. IT guy i know said he has had a few phone calls bout it or some shit.

Yea im gonna check this next time, as i said its random as so yea just have to wait and c.

Finally i will do this if necessary trying to try everythin else before this. Gonna give it few days to c if it happens again will post here if it does...

Thx for the help guys.

dakiean
Epic!
Epic!

Post by dakiean » 11 Feb 2008, 13:21

TPG has been fine.

I think its just because your sharing some pov bribie exchange.
[Dakiean] - [Aeragon] - [Vaeln] - [Murder]
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Malkeir
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Malkeir » 11 Feb 2008, 19:53

Ok um its doin it again says that my net has been connected for 56 minutes and keeps goin. just chain dc from wow but normal net is working fine.. could it be that it is blackrock...

zzzz its not blackrock lol fuk.... but yea still said it stayed connect.. up again now meh looks all good zzzz this time said it couldn't renew IP when i tried basic network repair thingo... just unplugged router for minute and its all good so yea.