New Laptop

Got a question to ask of a technical nature? Want to show off your new PC specs? This forum is open to all users of the SC forums.
simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

New Laptop

Post by simonsmp » 31 Jan 2008, 17:27

Looking to buy a new laptop. Budget can go up to about $2.5k, but aiming for about 2k. Was looking at a macbook pro, but don't know about macs OS. So any ideas? Mac > *? Dell? HP? :P Links would be handy too, I can only find awesome details on dell and Macs, but I have a dell desktop, which i hate, hate for dell!

edit: Just had a more detailed look at Dell, the Inspiron 1720 looks awesome, 17" screen, pretty good specs, and a lot less than a mac, considering the similarity in the specs, also comes in awesome colours, and vista. Why are macs so expensive when something with such similar specs can be so cheap?!
Add me on Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/Simonsmp/
Simonsmp for Prime Minister
DPS Paladin!

Frosty
Brewmaster
Brewmaster

Post by Frosty » 31 Jan 2008, 20:26

2 things.

1. Why are you getting the laptop? if your going to be moving it I suggest a 15" screen, 17's a pain to lug around.

2. Why do you want a mac, list me some decent reasons.

simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Post by simonsmp » 31 Jan 2008, 20:34

Frosty wrote:2 things.

1. Why are you getting the laptop? if your going to be moving it I suggest a 15" screen, 17's a pain to lug around.

2. Why do you want a mac, list me some decent reasons.

Mac's just seem awesome :P Dont actually know, but don't know where else to look really.

Need a laptop for uni, typing during lectures etc, so 17" screen is probably a bit big to lug around. Want a half decent laptop though, and yeah, 15" screen seems to look like the go. Where should I go to look at them though?
DPS Paladin!

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Secro » 31 Jan 2008, 21:39

Don't get a mac =/
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Post by simonsmp » 31 Jan 2008, 21:43

Secro wrote:Don't get a mac =/

Roger that, Brad. What should I get though?
DPS Paladin!

shinradragon
Pandaren Monk
Pandaren Monk

Post by shinradragon » 31 Jan 2008, 22:22

yeah getting one too for uni, looking at 15" inspiron dells, maybe acers cos my dad's company gets like hella discounts but their website is confusing
anyone got an inspiron and had problems?

Riedacher
Herald of the Titans
Herald of the Titans

Post by Riedacher » 31 Jan 2008, 23:09

imo write things on paper.
PUNKKID IS MY MAGE

Selphie
Epic!
Epic!

Post by Selphie » 01 Feb 2008, 11:08

shinradragon wrote:yeah getting one too for uni, looking at 15" inspiron dells, maybe acers cos my dad's company gets like hella discounts but their website is confusing
uh ok.. are you deliberately trying to pick the worst manufacturers?

go for either asus or toshiba, both are pretty good. asus offer a 2 year international warranty though, as opposed to the standard 12 months, so that might interest you.

celinalrah
High Overlord
High Overlord

Post by celinalrah » 01 Feb 2008, 11:30

Get an Asus. They're the best. Try for the F3Sseries, cause those ones come with gaming specs as well. 15.4" is a good size, 17" is too big for uni and shit. Annoying to lug around. I know, I've tried that. Don't go with Dell or Acer. Though I'm not a Mac person, from what I've been told, their laptops are pretty decent.

Still, Asus ftw!
::I like making boys cry..... no, seriously!::
::Keeper of the Blackrock Progression Thread::
::http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 8498&sid=1::

Froste
Blowjob plz
Blowjob plz

Post by Froste » 01 Feb 2008, 11:36

http://www.alienware.com.au/dnn2/Default.aspx?tabid=35

pricy but YOU WILL LOOK PIMP

specially with the FLURO GREEN ONE PEWPEWPEWPPEWPEPWPEPWPEPW

t3kno
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post by t3kno » 01 Feb 2008, 12:15

Mikumari - Hunter (Engineer/Miner)
Ten - Shaman (Enchanter/Jewelcrafter)

Nicrob
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Post by Nicrob » 01 Feb 2008, 12:49

Selphie wrote:
shinradragon wrote:yeah getting one too for uni, looking at 15" inspiron dells, maybe acers cos my dad's company gets like hella discounts but their website is confusing

go for either asus or toshiba, both are pretty good. asus offer a 2 year international warranty though, as opposed to the standard 12 months, so that might interest you.

do NOT get a toshiba security on them is way too intense
The Dude wrote:I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man.

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kashak » 01 Feb 2008, 12:57

Nicrob wrote:
Selphie wrote:

do NOT get a toshiba security on them is way too intense

Toshiba are a business lappy for sure. Hence the security. However they are very high quality.

I'd recommend Dell for warranty/price reasons. Laptops are impossible to get repaired (at a decent price) out of warranty so you need a good warranty. Dont get any less than 2 years. 15" screen XPS is slim and reasonable performance if you get the best Nvidia vid card they offer.

Do you work anywhere? If so you can get some huge tax breaks. If you dont work, see if you can get someone else to buy one for you through work salary sacrifice. Fize just bought a $2k lappy and got $700 back this way. If you get your dad to buy it for you through his work its still totally legit taxwise as he doesnt have to prove it was for work (weird but true).

So the moral to my story. Warranty warranty warranty. Tax breaks on laptops are crazy good.

edit: Macs are just really expensive, thats why they cost more. Theres no good reason.
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Monarche
Dreadlord
Dreadlord

Post by Monarche » 01 Feb 2008, 16:09

Salary Sacrifice is the shiz...
Wokeye - GW2 & WAR | Monarche - EVE online & EQ2

simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Post by simonsmp » 01 Feb 2008, 22:11

Thanks guys, still haven't made a definate decision. The Toshiba laptops looked a fair bit expensive, and there was so many when i was looking! All I will really need it for is word precessing and website use, so the specs aren't that essential, but I do want it to look puuurty. Those Alienware ones are way too expensive for me :( I wish! Anyone have/know of a Toshiba laptop ~2k with a 15" screen? And whats the go with widescreen, essential? Or are they all widescreen? I've never had a laptop before :(

So mac is out of the question now I think, what Kashak said summed it up for me, more expensive for no good reason. Dell's, apparently, are big and bulky, and don't run all that well. Think i wanna run XP on the one i get too, not vista, lawl. Dell specs look awesome, the colours are shizz are awesome, but one of my mates has one and says its crap, but hers is 17", so iunno.

About the salary sacrafice/tax thing, dad reccomended that to me, so i think i might do that, but have to find one before i even consider :( Is there any good shops in melbourne to go to look at them? :D
DPS Paladin!