Wireless Networking Problem [Solved 2.5 years later]

Got a question to ask of a technical nature? Want to show off your new PC specs? This forum is open to all users of the SC forums.
simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Re: Wireless Networking Problem

Post#16 » 15 Aug 2012, 17:03

Oh wow, that could be the solution then! Even if it is like $50 - $100, anything to have this nightmare sorted. Hate wireless, I hate it so much. Never had a good experience with it.
Add me on Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/Simonsmp/
Simonsmp for Prime Minister
DPS Paladin!

Rhianwynn
LotRO Officer
LotRO Officer

Post#17 » 15 Aug 2012, 17:16

simonsmp wrote:Oh wow, that could be the solution then! Even if it is like $50 - $100, anything to have this nightmare sorted. Hate wireless, I hate it so much. Never had a good experience with it.

A good one will be about $150 but if you go to JB HiFi you should be able to pick one up for about $90. Might be a bit of a no name brand though. I know Western Digital ones are good (as we have one at my house for the TVs).

Faetan
The Patient
The Patient

Post#18 » 15 Aug 2012, 17:18

simonsmp wrote:Hello all,

I recently moved house, and in doing so, I had to get a new modem and internet and all that (the old, awesome one stayed at the family home :(). Anyways, there's no phone port in the second bedroom, where my PC is. So I want to connect it wirelessly to the modem/router which is approx. 7m away. Cannot for the life of me figure it out, networking is my strongest downfall when it comes to computers. I would think that any router would be able to broadcast a signal 7m... which got me thinking it might be my PC. So here are the specs:

-Router - Netcomm NB16WV
-Wireless network adapter - Atheros AR9485

Not sure if anything else hardware should affect it. Running a big ass LAN cable through my kitchen at the moment to get internets. Any ideas on how to fix the wireless problem? Sometimes I see the signal, it's weak though, only 3 bars, and when I try to connect (putting in the password correctly etc) it says it can't connect, then the network disappears.

Upgraded the firmware on my router and my network adapter without success. PC is like 2 months old too so this is pretty annoying.

Thanks friends

Simon

Cordless telephone, do you have one?

Also was your wifi SSID the same as the previous house? if so did you use the same password?

You may have to remove the residual wirless network settings from your PC as they are most of the time remembered, delete them and try again.

simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Post#19 » 15 Aug 2012, 17:22

Yeah, I've tried unplugging it and moving my router away from it and everything to ensure that's not the problem :p Gonna head to officeworks and buy this fella. Thoughts?

Edit: Yeah tried changing the SSID too, and deleted any known wireless networks from my PC.
DPS Paladin!

MJ
WoW Officer
WoW Officer

Post#20 » 15 Aug 2012, 17:36

Sounds like either a firewall or wireless card driver problem.... though where you able to connect to your router at your parents place with your pc over wifi before?
ImageImage

Faetan
The Patient
The Patient

Post#21 » 15 Aug 2012, 18:07

MJ wrote:Sounds like either a firewall or wireless card driver problem.... though where you able to connect to your router at your parents place with your pc over wifi before?

Go to computer management and disable the windows firewall service then restart your computer.

I have found times where even though on the GUI the firewall was disabled it was still screwing with things.

Disabling the service and restarting should elminate it being firewall if that is not the issue.

simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Post#22 » 15 Aug 2012, 19:16

Faetan wrote:
MJ wrote:Sounds like either a firewall or wireless card driver problem.... though where you able to connect to your router at your parents place with your pc over wifi before?

Go to computer management and disable the windows firewall service then restart your computer.

I have found times where even though on the GUI the firewall was disabled it was still screwing with things.

Disabling the service and restarting should elminate it being firewall if that is not the issue.

Tried that too, no dice. Ended up giving up and buying some of those Power over Ethernet things, all fixed up. Works great, exactly the same speed with no wires running through my kitchen.

Thanks for all the help guys :)
DPS Paladin!

Rhianwynn
LotRO Officer
LotRO Officer

Post#23 » 15 Aug 2012, 19:23

simonsmp wrote:
Faetan wrote:

Tried that too, no dice. Ended up giving up and buying some of those Power over Ethernet things, all fixed up. Works great, exactly the same speed with no wires running through my kitchen.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

Glad it's working for you. :) Ethernet over power is certainly very convenient if you don't wanna make lots of holes in your walls!

Usambara
The Patient
The Patient

Post#24 » 15 Aug 2012, 19:30

[edit] bugger I see alt done already but bugger it I typed all this already :p [/edit]

Windows Firewall should be a furby, You're saying the network never connects, which is down to a layer 1 issue, not application. MAC address filtering could be possible, but if you have several other devices connecting then shouldn't be problem.

- You haven't actually stated if you have used the Wireless before. If PC is only 2 months old chance it hasn't?
- Have you tried with you PC immediately next to router?
- Have you tried a using you phone as a Wifi access point for the PC.
- Can you try setting up an Adhoc network (vs infrastructure) between two devices.
- Is it lappy or PC, take it out and about to Cafe/Mc'as anywhere and use free wifi for test.

- Wifi can be knocked out by electronic devices, I've had a lappy where wifi would go belly up when microwave was on however it was the only wifi device to drop out, rest were fine. What the electronics/devices between where you sing and router.

- Looking round on your adapter, there is mention of adjusting Power Saving settings
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-I ... 219/page/3
(only see hits on HP products but on a few different forums)
I see linux post stating to disable hardware encryption on this adapater. Not sure if thats a setting on Windows.
- There is also what appears to be a non official driver (I'm guessing at)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/hzap1c
See Forum here http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-I ... 407/page/5

- An Alternative to the PowerEthernet is to buy a USB wifi adapter @ $20 vs $100 for PowerEthernet. If you phone works then might be worthwhile alt
- Is this router new, can you return and say sorry its not compatible with my home devices?

PowerEthernet should offer a superior performance assuming the wiring is clean over wireless. Never used myself however
- Best if on same circuit but I see plenty saying it can work across circuits.

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#25 » 15 Aug 2012, 20:47

I'm in the same boat as you Simon :P
Wifi is shit, I just moved my PC till it was fucking stable and told wife THIS IS WHERE IT"S STAYING NOW.
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Sardius
Pandaren Monk
Pandaren Monk

Post#26 » 16 Aug 2012, 09:43

Also, since no-one's said it, nice network name Simon.
Battle.Net ID: Penguins#1368

D3: Wizard/Crusader/everything, Clan <SC>

World of Warcraft
Kilrogg - Alliance

-RIP-
SW:TOR
Rift

simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Post#27 » 16 Aug 2012, 11:19

Tried the power saving things just to see, still no luck. Haha Sard, I stole it from somewhere online, might have even been these forums. Bit of fun when the neighbours see it ;)
DPS Paladin!

simonsmp
The Lightbringer
The Lightbringer

Post#28 » 08 Jan 2015, 19:53

... Believe it or not, I solved this the other week. The antenna that plugs into my motherboard wasn't plugged in! Haha, because that's a thing. Went 2 years without, also spent $100 with the PoE thing. Completely forgot about that antenna from when I built the PC, until I built one for my brother recently, sparked the brilliance! Thought I'd post the solution just in case anyone else is having a similar issue. Will also edit first post.
DPS Paladin!

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wireless Networking Problem [Solved 2.5 years later]

Post#29 » 09 Jan 2015, 17:58

Glad you fixed it :D
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

WasteGate
Guild Master