So anyone playing EVE?

Discussion of other live MMO's you play

Moderators: Kashak, Secro

Chrien
Herald of the Titans
Herald of the Titans

So anyone playing EVE?

Post by Chrien » 23 Aug 2006, 19:01

I know quite a few of you guys have played EVE in the past... was wondering if anyone still is? Since I'm not MMOing right now I'm very very tempted to give the 14 day trial a go but it does look like a very intimidating game :p
Chrien
"You've gotta make decisions, you've gotta keep making decisions, even if they're wrong decisions. If you don't make decisions you're stuffed" - Joe Simpson
Currently Playing: World of Warcraft
Current Character: Khrien - Druid - Horde Khaz-goroth

Spoticus
Warchief
Warchief

Post by Spoticus » 23 Aug 2006, 20:41

Go be a dirty Xanadu!
SWG - Wookiee Tailor & Dark Jedi || DAoC - Merc CoH - Scrapper || CoV - Ninja MM
EQ2 - Jeweler || GW Wa/Me & Mo/Ne WoW - Warlock/Jeweller || LotRO - Champion/Armourer
WAR - Marauder, Choppa

Monarche
Dreadlord
Dreadlord

Post by Monarche » 23 Aug 2006, 20:43

Hey Chrien,

I would still be playing EVE except for the MMOG paternal leave. :shock:

I thoroughly recommend EVE - yes it is quite different and has s steep learning curve at first, but once established I found it by far the most satisfying MMOG I have ever played. Partly because it allows you to make of it what you want, rather than scripted progression.

OMHO getting in a good player corp is the key. Suppose this holds for all MMOGs, in a way.
Wokeye - GW2 & WAR | Monarche - EVE online & EQ2

Flamage
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post by Flamage » 23 Aug 2006, 23:02

I joined up yesterday, just before the big patch.

I saw you online today Monarche but got no reply.

In-game name is Eevi.

Today I spent a lot of money on a shiny new destroyer, and then it got blown up :(

Nazz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post by Nazz » 23 Aug 2006, 23:25

Caldari missle cruisers ftws

Chrien
Herald of the Titans
Herald of the Titans

Post by Chrien » 24 Aug 2006, 13:01

Haven't setup my account yet, I'm 400 points off getting a rank in bf2 so once I manage that I'll be giving it a shot :)

My biggest concern is that the way skills work being time based rather than through the traditional way of leveling up that someone such as myself who tends to play pretty hardcore at the start might get bored?
Chrien
"You've gotta make decisions, you've gotta keep making decisions, even if they're wrong decisions. If you don't make decisions you're stuffed" - Joe Simpson
Currently Playing: World of Warcraft
Current Character: Khrien - Druid - Horde Khaz-goroth

Nazz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post by Nazz » 24 Aug 2006, 13:11

Chrien wrote:Haven't setup my account yet, I'm 400 points off getting a rank in bf2 so once I manage that I'll be giving it a shot :)

My biggest concern is that the way skills work being time based rather than through the traditional way of leveling up that someone such as myself who tends to play pretty hardcore at the start might get bored?

First few skills dont take long to get at all, being able to level offline is kinda cool.

Monarche
Dreadlord
Dreadlord

Post by Monarche » 24 Aug 2006, 19:40

Offline character skill advancement is an interesting difference, where your motivation for 'grind' is not XP - its either for money or missions for faction standings or both. I found it excellent as I am (was!) a more casual player.

I've lent my Monarche EVE toon to a mate to play as a second account in my absence (many ppl run multiple accounts). If you see him online, tell him that Tim sent ya and that I said he should be studying for his medical exams instead of shooting asteroids :)

Flamage
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post by Flamage » 18 Sep 2006, 09:16

Monarche, the guy playing your account atm said you aren't coming back?

Monarche
Dreadlord
Dreadlord

Post by Monarche » 18 Sep 2006, 12:18

yeah Flamage its unlikely that I'll return to EVE, at least in the near future, although I so wuvd it... :cry:

If I still had the time for a serious MMOG ATM, this would be it, but for all my lack of trying on some long nights at 3:30am, our new baby gal WONT...GO...BACK...IN...

So feel free to blast Monarche's ass outta the sky any time you need to. :twisted:

Which alliance you in?

Flamage
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post by Flamage » 19 Sep 2006, 00:06

I joined AFY on your advice, and we're in SMASH Alliance. Currently trying to kick RATEL out of a system in Geminate, so we can have our own little piece of 0.0 real estate. The war is going ok, although its more or less a stalemate at times.

Is this your first baby? They do actually get easier :)

Monarche
Dreadlord
Dreadlord

Post by Monarche » 19 Sep 2006, 08:16

hehe yes its our first. Still coming to grips with the whole fatherhood thing :shock:

Good luck with the war mate - like you said, the PVP in EVE is so frickin' involving compared to anything else around. You been in a major fleet battle yet?

The SMASH guys seem like a good bunch. Was talking to Dave (now running Monarche toon) last night - he's already planning to open his third account...

Joaby
The Patient
The Patient

Post by Joaby » 19 Sep 2006, 09:01

I just signed up in Eve at the behest of my brother... I'm in the GoonPlatoon, part of the GoonSwarm alliance. My in game name is... Joaby. :)
There are ten kinds of people in this world. Those who can read binary, and those who can't.

1!

Dayton
Warchief
Warchief

Post by Dayton » 27 Nov 2006, 12:07

Bumping this - im going to get the trial cracking tonight.

Anyone playing atm?
8/8 Might 8/8 Wrath

Dayton
Warchief
Warchief

Post by Dayton » 27 Nov 2006, 12:07

ewww double post sorry
8/8 Might 8/8 Wrath