Star Wars MMO News

Discussion of other live MMO's you play

Moderators: Kashak, Secro

WasteGate
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#16 » 03 Apr 2006, 14:26

If you think about Biowares successes namely KoTOR then a Star Wars MMO based on KoTOR would be awesome.
One of the issues with SWG was that the story and timeline didn't fit at all around Episodes 4, 5 and 6. SWG was meant to be between EP 4 and 5 there was some early storylines in SWG that were fitting, but if they were to release the MMO around the timeline of the Old Republic then the thought of hundreds of Jedi would be unreal.

I never noticed this before but Obsidian Entertainment actually developed KoTOR 2 and is currently working on Neverwinter Nights 2. Not sure why Bioware didn't do it unless there is some contra deal going on there like Raven Games working on Quake 4.
I didn't play KoTOR 2 no time with SWG so I'm leeching it atm to have a look :)
Join the Southern Cross Steam group or find us on Facebook

<SWG 2003-2009> <EQ2 2005-2006> <WoW 2005-2015>
<LotRO 2007-2009> <AoC 2008-2009> <WAR 2008-2010>
<World of Tanks 2011-
premium> <SW:ToR 2011-active>
<TESO 2014-2014>

Roddy
The Patient
The Patient

Post#17 » 03 Apr 2006, 18:04

wast3gat3 wrote:Your in that photo too Skyte for you Roddy and Skyte

I wish there was some more info about what BIOWARE is up to...

Ahh Good Times!!.

I lost all my screenies with a hard drive crash :(
Roddy (LOTRO) - deceased.
Roddy (SWG) - FUCK YOU SOE!!!
Roddie (EQ2) deceased.
Roddy (WoW) deceased
Roddi (WoW - Frostmourne) deceased
Roddi Cross (EvE) deceased
Roddy (AoC) deceased
Roddy (WAR) deceased

Spoticus
Warchief
Warchief

Post#18 » 03 Apr 2006, 21:04

wast3gat3 wrote:If you think about Biowares successes namely KoTOR

Dear god your insane. Surely you meant to write the Baldur's Gate games :) I love KoToR but it is inferior to BG in every way ;)

/me pretends Oblivion can hold him over until Dragon Age
SWG - Wookiee Tailor & Dark Jedi || DAoC - Merc CoH - Scrapper || CoV - Ninja MM
EQ2 - Jeweler || GW Wa/Me & Mo/Ne WoW - Warlock/Jeweller || LotRO - Champion/Armourer
WAR - Marauder, Choppa

Spoticus
Warchief
Warchief

Post#19 » 03 Apr 2006, 21:10

wast3gat3 wrote:I never noticed this before but Obsidian Entertainment actually developed KoTOR 2 and is currently working on Neverwinter Nights 2. Not sure why Bioware didn't do it unless there is some contra deal going on there like Raven Games working on Quake 4.
I didn't play KoTOR 2 no time with SWG so I'm leeching it atm to have a look :)

On kotor2:

From what I remember Lucas Arts wanted a sequel, Bioware wanted to work on new material but with the black isle/bioware/obsidian history they provided some assistance to Obsidian on the project instead. KoTOR2 had a lot of promise in its design and all but sadly it got shoved out the door for the xmas rush by Lucas Arts (similar to Jedi Academy) and the end game is severely underdone with a large portion of intended content (HK-47 related) not even in the game. I am guess overall balance never got fully looked at either as when I played it KoTOR2 was wayyyyy to easy especially later on. Anyway it is worth playing, the story is again good but sadly the ending is barely tacked on.

The relationship between Obsidian and NWN2 is thoroughly explained on the official site so yeah just check there ;)

And yeah I am hoping for a solid showing of NWN2 and Dragon Age at this years E3. Probably my most anticipated I would say with the exceptions of games that havent been announced :)
SWG - Wookiee Tailor & Dark Jedi || DAoC - Merc CoH - Scrapper || CoV - Ninja MM
EQ2 - Jeweler || GW Wa/Me & Mo/Ne WoW - Warlock/Jeweller || LotRO - Champion/Armourer
WAR - Marauder, Choppa

MysticWarrior
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Post#20 » 04 Apr 2006, 10:48

Erm, HK-47 is in KOTOR 2, you need to assemble it. Buut, I do think KOTOR2 < KOTOR1. The ending for ver 1 is just so dam amazing.

But I loved the whole BG series, if they made a good MMO I am gonna ditch WoW in a heartbeat ... I think :P

Avalanche
The Patient
The Patient

Post#21 » 04 Apr 2006, 14:40

HK-47 was in the game yes but it felt like his story was completly cut out. Unless i missed it?

Gerbil
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post#22 » 04 Apr 2006, 15:14

Large portions of content for everywhere were unfinished, but remain within the game files. If memory serves, HK-47 suffered badly from the cuts, but not as badly as the other droid, who essentially had his entire background and story removed.

Check this websitefor information about the missing content
Age of Conan: Gerbil - Necromancer (Gwahlur)

WasteGate
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#23 » 04 Apr 2006, 16:17

Spoticus wrote:
wast3gat3 wrote:If you think about Biowares successes namely KoTOR

Dear god your insane. Surely you meant to write the Baldur's Gate games :) I love KoToR but it is inferior to BG in every way ;)

/me pretends Oblivion can hold him over until Dragon Age

This thread was about SWG MMO crap not Baulders Gate crap. BG was a fantastic game and series but if my memory serves me correct I wasn't wielding a lightsabre in it :roll:

<World of Tanks 2011-
<TESO 2014-2014>

Spoticus
Warchief
Warchief

Post#24 » 04 Apr 2006, 17:09

wasnt SWG good until everyone got lightsabers ;/

where good = not horrid
WAR - Marauder, Choppa

Roddy
The Patient
The Patient

Post#25 » 04 Apr 2006, 18:24

Yep it was the glowy penis sticks that ruined it.
Roddy (LOTRO) - deceased.
Roddy (SWG) - FUCK YOU SOE!!!
Roddie (EQ2) deceased.
Roddy (WoW) deceased
Roddi (WoW - Frostmourne) deceased
Roddi Cross (EvE) deceased
Roddy (AoC) deceased
Roddy (WAR) deceased

WasteGate
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#26 » 04 Apr 2006, 18:43

Roddy wrote:Yep it was the glowy penis sticks that ruined it.

Disagree with you there, the hologrind is what spoilt it, but the village quest to get Jedi was only for the hardcore (that's me) and that wanted to obtain Jedi.
I think if you took all the good aspects and the stuff they fixed it would of been a strong game.
Personally the thing that ruined the game was player cities. It took the population out of star ports and smaller towns and spread the player base out. Owning you own house was awesome don't get me wrong but I think that it would of been better to have people living in the cities aka EQ2.
I could go on all night and day, you know how much I loved it and still do :o

<World of Tanks 2011-
<TESO 2014-2014>

MysticWarrior
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Post#27 » 04 Apr 2006, 19:26

Actually, now I come to think of it. KOTOR2 ending did sounds like a setting for MMO ... or maybe just me.

You see, the old women at the end mentioned Revan (If ur Revan was on the light side) went and fight the Sith on a far more distant galaxy and she or that sith temple exists to call all jedis to join him in the fight.

This will work excellent, you level up in the Republic space (Newbie zones) and you go to the "real" sith space for end game.

And that I dont see another KOTOR being made, soooo .......

Spoticus
Warchief
Warchief

Post#28 » 04 Apr 2006, 19:47

dunno I much preferred the SWG housing and player cities to EQ2, they added a strong guild element to the game and helping Ishute build the city is probably what kept quite a few of us in the game. The lack of people in the main cities would of been easilly fixed with some actual content there. EQ2 had what like a hundred quests easy in the main city where as SWG if you bothered to do quests at all generally had you spend like a hundred times more time in a city waiting for shuttles or buffs from a doctor than anything else. That said some cities like Anchorhead did have a thriving community but then it was a very small city :)

Also the main preference for SWG housing for me was being able to run your crafting business from your player house. While technically possible it was highly impractical to run it from your home atleast @ EQ2's release.
WAR - Marauder, Choppa

WasteGate
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#29 » 04 Apr 2006, 22:06

I don't disagree with you there Spot, the main cities should had more content in them and I'm not against player housing and new player run cities. Maybe they should of lowered the caps on the amount of player cities there was and that you could really only build in a player city.
I'm sure we could all talk about it but where would it have ever got us. SWG biggest downfall was the devs never gave a shit what we thought :x

<World of Tanks 2011-
<TESO 2014-2014>

WasteGate
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#30 » 04 Apr 2006, 22:37

Here is a LINK to a post about the swg emu version. Don't bother going to swgemu.com or whatever it is, doesn't work.
There is a 22MB video of the login screen they have gotten to work. No big deal but something else to ponder.

<World of Tanks 2011-
<TESO 2014-2014>