Fack it, I am going to buy DDO

Discussion of other live MMO's you play

Moderators: Kashak, Secro

Thebigman
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Fack it, I am going to buy DDO

Post#1 » 02 Mar 2006, 09:23

I have read some bad review, I have read some good reviews. I have read the DDO forums and heard both sides … and I just want to try it.

If I don't like it after 2 months, then I would have wasted $80 + 2 months subscription.

People say that the all Instanced based MMO without a world to roam, no resources to gather, no item to craft and no PvP is crap and like Guild War.

On the other hand, when you play D&D, it's basically what it is. You start in a town and meet a group and then you go to another town or dungeon or area to sort out something. You finish, and you come back.

Very good Dungeon Masters would actually create a huge campaign with politics and characters who influence the world independent of your actions or allow your actions to influence the dynamics of the world … but no MMORPG has been able to achieve this anyway … so DDO is not different.

So, I'll give it a try …

I need a change of scenery from WoW … been downloading demoes and betas of SW EAW, HOMM5 and BME2 but 2 don't work because their anti-pirating is so intense that even legal demos don't work and 1, I know, won't keep me long.

I'll still play WoW but need another game to bring a bit of fresh excitement.

I'll keep you posted when I create a character

Love you all

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#2 » 02 Mar 2006, 10:13

Don't listen to the haters bigman :) Play what you wanna play!
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Skyte
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Post#3 » 02 Mar 2006, 10:22

The main concern with Dungeons and Dragons is the lack of Dragons :)

Thebigman
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#4 » 02 Mar 2006, 10:33

Thebigman will find the Dragons, don't worry.

A dwarf can find a big smelly beast from miles ...

Noose
Brewmaster
Brewmaster

Post#5 » 02 Mar 2006, 10:53

Thebigman wrote:Thebigman will find the Dragons, don't worry.

A dwarf can find a big smelly beast from miles ...

It's true, he found Secro easy enough. :shock:

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#6 » 02 Mar 2006, 16:30

Many formely pure minds seek me for power!

Thebigman
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#7 » 03 Mar 2006, 13:17

Done.

Preordered the game and got the Head Start pack, downloaded the client install file ($1.9g in record time) and went to register last night at 11pm after coming back from friends.

Off course, luck being on my side, the weekly maintenance was on from 10pm to 1am Sydney time O.o

Anyway, logged in just before 1, create a Sorcerer called Silvertongue and play a few quests.

I quite like it so far …

Character creation was very intense … don't gimp it … don't gimp it ...

the combats so far are pretty cool

the graphics are great.

The interface is ok, need to get used to it.

The quests are cool, even the first ones … Had to flee from a cavern which was falling down after touching an altar and some mad summoner started to attack me half way through the exit.

I found a guild to join so I'll start grouping.

Will keep you posted.

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#8 » 03 Mar 2006, 13:22

post some cool screen shots aswell dude :P

Thebigman
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#9 » 04 Mar 2006, 16:46

Not too good at those clever things, hosting pictures and stuff but will try or find some links.

Website is:

www.ddo.com

Spoticus
Warchief
Warchief

Post#10 » 04 Mar 2006, 20:29

I havent followed D&D online in the least but there is one thing about D&D. It's fanbase I think has never actually stopped bitching about the various forms of the game since it was created so plenty of bad opinions would hardly be surprising even if it was the greatest game ever made. Not that I or my 8 intelliegence Paladin with his talking horse with a higher intelligence than himself would have any idea what the D&D community actually consists of. And yes 3rd edition sucks but so does AD&D 2nd edition and if you cant tell I only got 2hrs sleep last night -_-
SWG - Wookiee Tailor & Dark Jedi || DAoC - Merc CoH - Scrapper || CoV - Ninja MM
EQ2 - Jeweler || GW Wa/Me & Mo/Ne WoW - Warlock/Jeweller || LotRO - Champion/Armourer
WAR - Marauder, Choppa

Roddy
The Patient
The Patient

Post#11 » 05 Mar 2006, 10:25

2 questions Bigman.

Where did you manage to get the headstart from. I pre-ordered the thing as well but didn't get a head start key or anything.

Also waht server you on?
Roddy (LOTRO) - deceased.
Roddy (SWG) - FUCK YOU SOE!!!
Roddie (EQ2) deceased.
Roddy (WoW) deceased
Roddi (WoW - Frostmourne) deceased
Roddi Cross (EvE) deceased
Roddy (AoC) deceased
Roddy (WAR) deceased

Thebigman
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#12 » 05 Mar 2006, 19:34

Roddy,

I went to EB game and pre-ordered: A$10

I got the preorder pack which contains a DVD (useless), a beta key and a headstart key.

Beta was finished so I only had the Headstart to play on.

I downloaded the client: $1.6g I think on Thursday night and played for 2hrs that night, 4 hours Friday night and 4 hours last night.

Headstart finishes on the 6th unti l we get our copy and thus the retail key.

Now Roddick, the possible bad new for you ...

I am not hooked on the game ... they have good ideas like real combat (block, tumble, slash, etc ...) and some nice dungeons with surprising events but the game is 2 years behind WoW.

The combats are a rush, you don't have time to play well because it is just a charge ... the Rogue are great but because of the rush again, become useless ... The forced grouping could work well but you really need 5 friends your level if not, it is PUG groups who zerg, etc ...

So I am thinking of either forgeting about my $10 or trying to have them as a credit for a future game ... (Oblivion maybe).

Sorry

Roddy
The Patient
The Patient

Post#13 » 05 Mar 2006, 21:04

Hehe,

Thats alright mate. Was planning on giving it a go just for the hell of it. Mainly cause i am not playing anything else at the moment and at least it sounded different.

I've been a bit dubious as well with the whole forced grouping thing but you never know till you try. I'll give it a go when my copy turns up and if it sucks :) then oh well wait for the next thing.

I was actually more ored on a sunday so cause i couldn;t load up DDO installed EvE instead. Haven't played that game since Beta and i never payed it cause I subscribed to galaxies instead. I remember now how damn good the graphics and artwork were in that game. I'll give that a spin for a week or so, then try DDO.

Its a shame I just couldn't get into WoW or EQ2.
Roddie (EQ2) deceased.
Roddy (WoW) deceased
Roddy (AoC) deceased
Roddy (WAR) deceased

Roddy
The Patient
The Patient

Post#14 » 15 Mar 2006, 20:51

Gahh!!

I hated it in the first 2 minutes. Graphics are crap. Interface is shit. Goddamn it.

Gonna keep playing EvE
Roddie (EQ2) deceased.
Roddy (WoW) deceased
Roddy (AoC) deceased
Roddy (WAR) deceased