Frigging newbs whining in EvE now

Discussion of other live MMO's you play

Moderators: Kashak, Secro

Noose
Brewmaster
Brewmaster

Frigging newbs whining in EvE now

Post#1 » 21 Dec 2005, 02:15

I'm so sick of hearing it. Now they're whining that Eve isn't "linear" enough... that you actually have to go out and make your own adventure, you actually have to go out and EXPLORE something to find out how it ticks instead of being lead by your nose to the final conclusion. Bit of a news flash for them, THAT'S LIFE, MORONS.

It's pissing me off that MMORPGs are all starting to lean this way, like they're single-player adventure games that should only have one correct path, and not be vague about which path that is..

I wish these MMRPG newbs would just GET THE POINT of these games, or piss off back to their PS2...

bishop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#2 » 21 Dec 2005, 06:35

Prolly people jumping in on the 14 day trial?

i had a quick look, did most of the tutorial .... i'm pretty sure i won't get much past that though, as i find it hard to do more than one game
- Jak
If you have to explain in great detail why you're important, that should be a clue you aren't

Rockitt
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post#3 » 21 Dec 2005, 07:35

Wha? There isn't a guy with a big yellow exclamation mark over his head when you logon? ;)

Rob
More alts than you can beat with dual wielded Thrash Blades.

Monarche
Dreadlord
Dreadlord

Post#4 » 21 Dec 2005, 11:59

or blinking red arrows...

This is true, some people simply miss the point, the game does not hold your hand. You can go and do what you want more so than most, if not all, MMORPGs. It's definitely one thing I admire about EVE.
Wokeye - GW2 & WAR | Monarche - EVE online & EQ2

Noose
Brewmaster
Brewmaster

Post#5 » 21 Dec 2005, 12:03

Rockitt wrote:Wha? There isn't a guy with a big yellow exclamation mark over his head when you logon? ;)

Rob

HAH, it's funny you mention that thing, Robbo, cos EQ2 just patched and guess what they're doing now...

That and the fact Sony are going to implement a WoW-style PVP system into EQ2 are the reasons I've decided not to go back to that game. Why do they insist on putting things into games that just dont fit, all because another game has done it with some success...

And anyone who thinks WoW-style PvP is a good model hasnt played DAoC, imho.

Monarche
Dreadlord
Dreadlord

Post#6 » 21 Dec 2005, 12:03

true, DAOC PVP was very well done.
Wokeye - GW2 & WAR | Monarche - EVE online & EQ2

Noose
Brewmaster
Brewmaster

Post#7 » 21 Dec 2005, 12:05

Monarche wrote:or blinking red arrows...

This is true, some people simply miss the point, the game does not hold your hand. You can go and do what you want more so than most, if not all, MMORPGs. It's definitely one thing I admire about EVE.

Agreed, Mon. The best part of Eve is it's vastness, in size and freedom. You can do anything in Eve, it just takes patience and dedication. Two things that I lack in large doses, alas. :lol:

Roddy
The Patient
The Patient

Post#8 » 07 Jan 2006, 11:52

I couldn't get too far into EVE for that very reason though. It had gone a bit too far down the "player made" content road. Not that i think that is a bad thing, but being a casual player myself i never really could invest the time. Unfortunately games like WoW cater for the casual gamer pretty well in that you can solo, also that you can log in for an hour or two and do a few quests and log out contendetdly.

Personally i think that SWG in the old days had a pretty good mix of the non linear mmo gaming. Not sure why but i always managed to be able to play casually without any trouble.

What really pisses me off is how nothing "new" ever seems to come out. Anything that breaks the mould slightly doesn't rack up the subscriber base cause its too different and eventually gets patched and killed or terminated. Every MMO publisher wants the next EQ or WoW (as in subscriber numbers)

1 of my all time favourites was Earth and Beyond in that they were at least trying to evolve a story arc with player interaction etc. The reality was it lasted about 1 month before it was obvious the subscriber numbers were too low to keep a team of Devs patching and writing a constant evolving story and the game got taken over and axed. It was a nice idea while it lasted though.
Roddy (LOTRO) - deceased.
Roddy (SWG) - FUCK YOU SOE!!!
Roddie (EQ2) deceased.
Roddy (WoW) deceased
Roddi (WoW - Frostmourne) deceased
Roddi Cross (EvE) deceased
Roddy (AoC) deceased
Roddy (WAR) deceased

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#9 » 07 Jan 2006, 17:44

I remember first logging into AO - I had NFI what the hell anything was, the manual was like another game, all i had was my gang brothers (SC :P), it wasn't a big deal that i didn't know what an implant was, even after i tried to get it out of Leo a few days when i started playing, because i knew someone when teach me eventually, i think it was Noose who did actually. Anyway, learnt the ancient way of 'word of mouth' compared to now when i can load up allahkazam and it will tell me everything i could ever need.

Anyway, the point was i hear the community is great in EVE (Most smaller MMO's have a great one) and i'm sure if these new kids asked the higher levels, or equivelent they could prolly set em up and teach them a bit about the game, people these days think its all about sending them gold and items, but its ali g once said. You can give a poor kid a record and he'll dance all night, or you could give a poor kid some turn tables and he'll be spinin mad tracks for year to come, wikkid.
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Solase
Grunt

Re: Frigging newbs whining in EvE now

Post#10 » 22 Jun 2006, 10:55

Noose wrote:I'm so sick of hearing it. Now they're whining that Eve isn't "linear" enough... that you actually have to go out and make your own adventure, you actually have to go out and EXPLORE something to find out how it ticks instead of being lead by your nose to the final conclusion. Bit of a news flash for them, THAT'S LIFE, MORONS....

WoW = 5 million + subscribers

Eve = less than 1 million?

Just putting perspective on what most people enjoy is a nice, easy ride. It maybe that they have to put up with burning brain cells day in and day out at work and they want the simple life. I haven't played Eve to comment on the exact mechanics; just clarifying what I've seen in the gaming genre as a whole. Myself, I've been on both sides of the fence; when I'm annoyed by noobs asking too many questions, I just go anon and toon them out; when I'm the noob frustrated at a game, I ask others. Just take it in stride like LIFE. (Course if I could kick half those damn morons off the road who don't know how to drive, I'd be a hell of a lot happier, haha :D .

Gerbil
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post#11 » 22 Jun 2006, 11:28

Eve is a very intimidating game for beginners even if you take the time to do the tutorial and read out of game resources, and on top of that it is a game that will only appeal to a small niche of players (compared to the gaudy crowd-pleaser that is WoW)
Age of Conan: Gerbil - Necromancer (Gwahlur)

Nazz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#12 » 22 Jun 2006, 11:42

Yes EVE is very involved and certainly not n00b friendly but it does have a fairly good community and does a few nice things like add you to the n00b corp (guild) when you join up.

Mauran
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#13 » 22 Jun 2006, 18:03

Gerbil wrote:Eve is a very intimidating game for beginners even if you take the time to do the tutorial and read out of game resources, and on top of that it is a game that will only appeal to a small niche of players (compared to the gaudy crowd-pleaser that is WoW)

The technical details and information available for EVE almost made me mess my pants after my brain being zombied by the technical treasure-trove that is wow.

http://www.eve-online.com/guide/en/g26.asp did my head in, I'm dosing up on smart pills right now before trying to absorb it again.
>> This space for rent <<

Gerbil
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post#14 » 22 Jun 2006, 21:56

Exactly - it's insanely complex. That's its charm, but also the reason that WoW will always outstrip it in terms of subscribers by a factor of heaps.
Age of Conan: Gerbil - Necromancer (Gwahlur)

Mauran
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#15 » 23 Jun 2006, 07:44

Gerbil wrote:Exactly - it's insanely complex. That's its charm, but also the reason that WoW will always outstrip it in terms of subscribers by a factor of heaps.

With any luck the technical detail will keep the mass of nubs and kids in wow away from eve. :D
>> This space for rent <<