Well the problem is in order for 1.7 to succeed you need players on Ilum to PvP with and the server is near dead. Fleet has 34-50 players online during peak.
There is an online petition that someone has started if you feel like signing it you can - http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/apac-server-merge/
I'm enjoying the game once again. When you hit 50 now you are given Tionese armor in the form of 90 tokens to buy it and also you are given a Recruit mk-2 PvP set.
If they merge the server I'll take Southern Cross to the PvP server with the biggest population. I have been playing a Republic trooper on The Harbinger (PvE) and that server has a big population so getting groups ins't an issue.
Some of the features I like now;
* The tier bonus is tied to the armor mod so you can move it to an orange set.
* Augmentation is now on everything! And even better you no longer have to crit craft the item, you can craft the aug slot and apply it to the piece at a mod station. Crit crafting still adds the slot through.
* The cartel market is pretty cool, some stupid items but it's not all bad, and being able to unlock Legacy items using cartel coins is a winner for those on a time budget for play time. I'm still a paying subsciber so I'm not that impacted by F2P limits.
* Crowd control in PvP has been ruined, massive complaints saying they fucked things up worse than at lanuch.
* Playing solo. I would like to complete world bosses and achievement based stuff more.
Hope to see some people back in game.
Fitz your right about the hamster on the wheel play style. The days of my recollections of SWG are done I feel, MMO's these days are lucky to last momentum for anything longer than 6mths.
I would still be playing WAR and Age of Conan if SC was giving them a red hot go. The problem I have is that I can't commit to the fast paced leveling and by the time I get to end game people are already moving on.
C'est la vie