Great Guild Wars 2 Info for Newbies

Discussion of other live MMO's you play

Moderators: Kashak, Secro

Azza
The Patient
The Patient

Great Guild Wars 2 Info for Newbies

Post#1 » 25 Apr 2012, 16:24

This is primarily directed at Secro who hasn't read anything about it yet.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated-READ-ME

But here's a good list of how it's different from most other games and a description of how some of the premier game mechancis such as dynamic events work.
WoW: Estella - EVE: Arksy - Aion: Arkdo

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Great Guild Wars 2 Info for Newbies

Post#2 » 25 Apr 2012, 18:27

lol, I read a little, too much info :D
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Azza
The Patient
The Patient

Post#3 » 25 Apr 2012, 19:08

Haha. Yeah. >.>

All in all i'm guessing you got this jist of why we're excited for it. :P
WoW: Estella - EVE: Arksy - Aion: Arkdo

Thebigman
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#4 » 30 Apr 2012, 07:49

This looks good. I had read nothing on the game. Guys enjoyed the beta? Keen?

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#5 » 30 Apr 2012, 07:58

Thebigman wrote:This looks good. I had read nothing on the game. Guys enjoyed the beta? Keen?

YEh they pretty much ignored TOR for the entire weekend due to the beta...lol dont tell me another SC chapter has flopped and this is the new pony we're riding.. (Tera released as well - guessing we skipped the korean grinder this time?)

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#6 » 30 Apr 2012, 09:08

Flopped ages ago imo, if you don't get many new recruits it'll die out rather quick.
Learned that lesson with rift :(

I blame shrinking raid sizes :)

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#7 » 30 Apr 2012, 09:51

Secro wrote:Flopped ages ago imo, if you don't get many new recruits it'll die out rather quick.

Pfft, game is still fun, even if the guild flops. We can always merge with ZK :P

And I blame the fuckup with the transfers - alot of us moved to the new server, so the swiftsure raids died, and people quit. So now theres not alot of people in the guild on MDN. We can try to push recruitment, or merge. Either way, ill still be playing for a bit (besides getting distracted by D3 in a fortnight :P)

ashvar
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#8 » 30 Apr 2012, 11:28

Fitz wrote:
Secro wrote:Flopped ages ago imo, if you don't get many new recruits it'll die out rather quick.

Pfft, game is still fun, even if the guild flops. We can always merge with ZK :P

And I blame the fuckup with the transfers - alot of us moved to the new server, so the swiftsure raids died, and people quit. So now theres not alot of people in the guild on MDN. We can try to push recruitment, or merge. Either way, ill still be playing for a bit (besides getting distracted by D3 in a fortnight :P)

I wouldn't blame the game or the transfers for the current state of the guild in game. To be entirely honest the blame lays with all of us, from members to officers and yes the way recruitment has been handled is also terrible.
I asked a popular writer who often wrote about freedom and free markets and asked him what he thought would be the True symbol of 'freedom'.
He answered succinctly:

"Whatever is the opposite of surrender"

Forath
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#9 » 30 Apr 2012, 12:12

If the game cant hold your attention past the leveling phase then there isnt much you can do about people moving on.

Heres hoping WvW and the story dungeons/crafting/pve shenanigans keeps gw2 interesting past the first 3 months.

ashvar
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#10 » 30 Apr 2012, 14:48

Forath wrote:If the game cant hold your attention past the leveling phase then there isnt much you can do about people moving on.

Heres hoping WvW and the story dungeons/crafting/pve shenanigans keeps gw2 interesting past the first 3 months.

People will always move on, the vast majority play whatever the fotm mmo is, lvl up do a few dungeons and move on. However this is something successful guilds deal with and you only need to log on and see how many large thriving guilds there around to see the truth of this. Ppl moving on is only a very small part of the problem SC is facing.

Recruitment standards need to looked at carefully, what kind of players are we looking for? Hardcore, casual, pve or pvpers? We had some terrible recruitment issues very early on in swtor where the only req seemed to be knowing someone who knew someone who was in SC. The lack of skill of some of our recruits was abysmally evident long before the two weeks of trial membership was over, yet remained in guild long past the trial period. This was a cause of frustration. There were also some very unsavory incidents between recruits in g chat, not once or twice but several times, srsly the code of conduct is there as is the g kick button, remove them.

Recruitment officers need to be actively seeking new members, it kind of goes with the job description, that and vigorously screening new applicants. I was out of guild for a short while upon joining the Aussie server, during this time I was playing solo on my jugg and had various pvp guild offers from ppl I was playing with or against in warzones. They saw me without a guild, saw how I performed in pvp and proceded to offer an inv. Which leads to the next requirement as a recruitment officer, activeness. Not just logged in active but actively participating in guild grps and when not in a full guild grp then look for players with SKILL and offer an inv.

We need better structure in both pvp and pve, it appears we have a mix of players hardcore and casual. Hardcore and casual raid grps with their respective leaders is a great way to ensure our members have the opportunity to play with like minded ppl, if you don't share the same objectives as the rest of the grp then you won't have fun. The same goes for pvp. The hardcore leader recruits members for HM+ ops, the hardcore pvp leader recruits for ranked warzone grps and so on.

Guild wars is a huge game, the scope and vastness of the WvW pvp alone is breath taking. If we aim to last as a guild we need to get our act together as a guild. We need structure and direction. It is also a game which is very reliant on the individual skill of the gamer, if you don't know how to move and position yourself in combat you're dead, I am serious two bees will pwn you if you don't know how to kite or roll out of attacks.

Looking ahead to guild wars now we need to make some choices as to what we want southern cross to become. I've never been a fan of elitist guilds or casual carebear guilds, each eventually dies, one from too much epeen and not enoug members and the other from too many members but not enough of anything being achieved. If we are to strike a balance we need:
Guild leader
Pve HC officer
Pve Casual officer
Pvp HC leader
Pve casual leader
Recruitment officers

All need to be active and excel at which ever area they are officers in. Just because you want it, or have been in SC for ages quite frankly dsnt cut it. If RL catches up with you or the game gets boring then nominate a replacement and step down before the guild stagnates
I asked a popular writer who often wrote about freedom and free markets and asked him what he thought would be the True symbol of 'freedom'.
He answered succinctly:

"Whatever is the opposite of surrender"

Fandin
High Overlord
High Overlord

Post#11 » 30 Apr 2012, 17:02

I agree with what Ashvar says, we dont have any recruiting officers online or anyone trying to recruit people for our ToR chapter thus meaning we rely on the same 7 other players to log in on raid nights. With the new server we should be trying to get new active recruits to keep us motivated to keep playing, Also jumping on vent never hurts either :)

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#12 » 02 May 2012, 11:33

Can all races be all classes?

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#13 » 02 May 2012, 11:54

In the beta you could, so I would say so.

Those tree people look interesting

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#14 » 02 May 2012, 12:58

If (and I really stress IF) that feature list they have doesnt screw itself up completely it should be quite a good game. I cant see it happening tho :)
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Forath
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#15 » 02 May 2012, 18:18

The feature list isnt anything revolutionary, christ all most of us want is a combination of afew things. End game pvp ( which gw2 provides at level 2), middle to end game dungeon crawling, an interesting crafting system, an interesting combat system. Throw in a story line, a robust economy and a pretty world to run around in and you'll keep people hooked.

Return to “Other MMO's Discussion”