Guild Wars 2 Pre-purchase beta

Discussion of other live MMO's you play

Moderators: Kashak, Secro

Beothel
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-purchase beta

Post#46 » 29 Apr 2012, 19:56

I'm holding back from Pre-ordering for now, so those of you who are playing, make sure you let us know how the game feels! Class feedback is always awesome too. I'm hearing tonnes of great things about the Mesmer, which is making me want to try it out.
Guild Wars2 - Beothel (Sylvari Ranger), Ailtrai (Human Engi))
SW:TOR - Beothel (Sith Marauder), Illusia (Chiss Sniper)
LoTRO - Beothel (Human Lore-Master)
WAR - Beothel (Chaos Marauder)

Azza
The Patient
The Patient

Post#47 » 29 Apr 2012, 20:46

Secro - guilds are cross server, as are parties...Server doesn't mean jack anymore...So give Arksy/Mooney/Ashvar/etc a yell and we can invite you
WoW: Estella - EVE: Arksy - Aion: Arkdo

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#48 » 29 Apr 2012, 22:04

Beothel wrote:I'm holding back from Pre-ordering for now, so those of you who are playing, make sure you let us know how the game feels! Class feedback is always awesome too. I'm hearing tonnes of great things about the Mesmer, which is making me want to try it out.

Why no pre-order?
It 'feels' alright I guess, it just seems a bit random too me as I don't fully understand the combat system. I worked out a good chunk of it by the end of tonight though.
An example is that I can fight 2 bandits at once and demolish them, but then I attack another 2 bandits and they demolish me.... so it seems a bit weird like that to me.
I actually played the mesmer, I like that spells differ based on weapon combos, that was a nice touch. I don't like that for a mesmer a 2h sword is a ranged weapon, I was looking forward to smashing things apart when I picked one up.

The illusions are another odd thing, sometimes they will come out and attack properly. Other times they DON'T come out, or just stand there, or some times the mobs will turn around and 1 shot them despite me attacking first. The fights at level 5 are a bit "quick" I suppose so you don't really get a full use out of them. They vanish pretty quickly, and I can't tell if their "explosion" attack is working properly. I didn't end up shattering any illusion just in-case I had to heal so it was more potent.

Hopefully higher up the fights go at least a little longer as I don't feel you can use the classes full potential in short fights.

I like that there is multiple way to do "quests" and you don't really go and pick them up. It's a good idea to grind and match the level of the next npc you help out, as I found even 1 level difference and it can become a lot harder vs multiple mobs.

I'd be interested to try another class and see how i go, mesmer seems a bit unstable and I don't get to use the full class mechanic (creating illusions and shattering them) so that puts me off a bit.
I either felt OP, or extremely weak, there was no middle ground.
Of course it could be just that I don't know what I'm doing :)
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Usambara
The Patient
The Patient

Post#49 » 30 Apr 2012, 09:08

Played the Charr Elementalist. Initially had no idea what to do everyone was running about rounding up cows and took a few more events to notice the sparklies on the ground.

The events are nice and regular, and it is good that everyone seems to help everyone out there is no penalty in killing someones mobs. I did die a lot though, the events seemed to have a dungeon difficulty to them, not sure if there is any tactics apart from kill, once you have 30 odd people all involved the main guy looking at you is death. But then someone just rez you up and off ya go again. Never manage to join the WvW, however they say that then dynamic events extend into there, so if it like that .. should be a hoot.

Weapons seems irrelevant for the Ele, you just practice up whichever one provides the more interesting skills. I think I noticed the 2H Staff had long range spells, where as the dagger had short range spells, would have to pay more attention to see if this is the theme for all weapons. Oh and once I worked out that the first attack is auto attack, things went easy mode, engage then strafe circle kite the mob(s). From what I can see you will have all possible skills within a few levels of gaining all weapons. Not sure if its ele only but the utility skills could summon a whole bunch of additional magic weapons which anyone can use.. Lighting bolt hammer for the win.

I ended up with all skill points/hearts in the start zone at level 13 and the new zone is lev 15+ .. so was left with abit of a grind (which meant wandering round to find a group of people an just join in whatever). Attempting this solo would be extremely boring.
After TOR, looking at the experience bar only and thinking I need to move this was a bit backwards.

Crafting seems interesting once I worked it out, much like the Alchemy in Skyrim and a few others, it does provide hints as to components you can use to match what you have out rather than luck or google. Managed to get a few patterns for the Tailor, nothing at all for Jewel crafting (no gems I think). The fact that tools really wear out and have to be replaced each zone is a bit off, in the second zone Iron nodes came available, no prompting, you just end up with ore in your inventory saying you need a better tool to mine me, which was both annoying/amusing would have verged more on annoying if I didn't inspect results at some point and gathered for a few hours.

Overall seems to be lacking in depth/character, chat bug was very annoying, but could be a alright to just run around and kill shit with friends.
The dynamic content is good however, I hate quest in current games as it killed community to me, people mostly just work to complete quests. Here everyone just jumps in and join events... it really is MMO'ish then. Not sure how fresh it will be after doing a few characters however.
Queues for WvW suck :(, having the guild system etc in place and pvp endgame at start is sensible *glares at Bioware*

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#50 » 01 May 2012, 14:39

Azza wrote:Secro - guilds are cross server, as are parties...Server doesn't mean jack anymore...So give Arksy/Mooney/Ashvar/etc a yell and we can invite you

Guilds and Parties may be cross server, WvWvW isn't though .....
It would be in our interest to be on the same server if we wish to do that together ><
There is also "limitations" in being a guest in another party members server.

Ageotas
High Overlord
High Overlord

Post#51 » 01 May 2012, 15:35

Preordered and excited!

I didn't get a chance to play this beta weekend courtesy of work, but I watched my housemate play at several points and it looks pretty damned good so far. Every bug I saw was one that I had read on the official GW2 dev post, so it looks like they know where the problems are and are working on fixing them. I guess that is what betas are for.

-Ageotas
Ageotas

The Gentleman Buccaneer - Astrophysicist, Gamer, and Geek
Paper #1 - Consecutive Bright Pulses in the Vela Pulsar
Paper #2 - Coming Soon!

ashvar
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#52 » 01 May 2012, 16:27

Just reading through this thread on GW2 has made me run out of tissues...
Srsly tho the pve is/was cool, the pvp blows your f'ing socks off. WvWvW is epic and to defeat an opponent you may bump into requires you to outplay them in order to win, not better gear or stats or even class, but skill. To think on how long it's taken for this to become a reality. How good you are at moving and anticipating attacks directly reflects on how you perform in battle.
Brb off to buy another box of tissues
I asked a popular writer who often wrote about freedom and free markets and asked him what he thought would be the True symbol of 'freedom'.
He answered succinctly:

"Whatever is the opposite of surrender"

Mooney
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#53 » 01 May 2012, 16:43

What a fantastic weekend, guild wars 2 is going to do really well, anyone who has played it for a few hours or more should be able to see this easily

When i think back to all the "major wow clones" i have played in my time, i realize they all have one thing in common, 1 "gimmick" that makes it different from wow, and when that gimmick stops being exciting, or isnt as good as what you thought it was, thats when the game ceases to be fun for me

When i think back to warhammer online, like many of the people probably reading these forums, i loved that game to bits, but with my example, when that games gimmick, of open world pvp failed (due to the developers sadly) how different was it from wow, it was just wow with no content, its a real shame that pvp died out, because untill last weekend, that was the most fun i have ever had in an mmo

I also tried out Aion, which apart from its "flying combat" how different was it from wow, the short answer, a lot more grindy, gimmick failed, game is now a shitty f2p title

Moving onto Rift, its main "gimmick" its namesake, the rift system, which was great at first, untill everybody leveled up past the zones and the rifts just owned everything, or ended up being camped at the level 50 zones, i will give the rift devs credit, they pump out a lot of content for that game, but how different is it from wow now

SWTOR, this is probably the best wow style mmo out at the moment in my opinion, the fact that the entire leveling experience was told via cutscenes and story was brilliant, and removed the grind out of it, however, now we are all level 50, how different is the game from wow, any level 50 dungeons or raids which involve cut scenes are skipped anyway, due to rage from the rest of the raid

Which brings me to Guild wars 2, whats the gimmick of that?

Is it the dynamic events, dynamic events are interesting, they seem a bit dull at first, i remember i took part in one on the way to running into a heart quest, some ogres had taken over a watch tower which had a waypoint in it, me and my friend who was over fought these off for like 15 minutes, and pushed them back to there town thing, and before we could get there town captured they counter attacked, by this point more people had joined, and an epic battle ensued, eventually we won, despite dying several times and having some clutch ressing going on, and we pushed them back again, and took over there base, forcing out there ogre champion who we downed in an epic fashion and captured there town, and that event which i originally thought was dull and generic turned into a really epic hour of my life, you just get swept into these events as they are happening and lose track of everything else, i cant remember if i ever completed that heart quest i originally set out to do

Is the gimmick the Open world v world v world pvp, its obviously inspired by warhammer and DAOC (apparently), and it does it so much better, the scale of the battles was absolutely amazing, classic warhammer keep seiges, it was so easy to fall back into habit, like focusing the oil, this is where the meat of the game is going to happen i think, i think what made me laugh the most though, was last night, ashvar actually, was going on about how epic world v world was, just like how i am, and after praising the scale and size of the map, and how it was the biggest pvp map he had ever seen, somebody pointed out the map he was talking about was only like 1/4 of the size of the world v world area...

Both the dynamic events both tied in really well with the new games combat system, if you havent played around with it, i suggest you pre order GW2 and do it, it makes wow style mmos just like 2d and boring, i dont know how i ever stood around pressing 2,2,2,3 before, when i could be running around, dodging out of attacks, its so much fun, as well as going as far as to reward you extra exp for taking out a mob quickly, or without taking any damage, the mobs are brutal as well, which makes the combat system really matter, you know you need to improve when you get your ass kicked over and over again when you are level 6

The world in which the game is set i think is vitally important, the amount of experience and rewards you get for simply exploring it is massive compared to other mmos, im talking about like 5% of a level from exploring a section of a map unlock, as well as things like points of interest, which usually have nothing to do with any quest, there just something cool to look at, and you get experience for going there, any time you also load into a zone it tells you a list of things you can still explore and complete in said zone, such as Heart Quests, Waypoints, Skill challanges and points of interest, im a bit of a completionist, so i went mad for this, and to my delight, when i fully completed the char starting zone, Plains of Ashford, it send me a mail with a couple of randomised green level items (green is better than blue in this game), if i had to talk about the highlight of my weekend though, surprisingly it would be a jumping puzzle i found, not an amazing scripted event, a keep seige, or an epic fight involving dodging and clever use of skills, i went swimming in this lake, and found a hidden cave behind some reeds, to which i entered and surfaced into a jumping puzzle, now, thing would have taken me here via a quest, or Point of interest, i just went exploring, and i found it, the puzzle was fairly hard, involving some leet timing to dodge spike traps and falling boulders, and when i reached the end it spawned a champion mob which i had to work really hard to finish off, the mob dropped some green item and an acheivement for killing it, but it was nothing compared to how rewarding it felt to just happen upon this, guild wars 2 should be renamed to Tyria, because thats what the game is about, every feature comes together to make one of the most complete games i have ever played

I could list cool features all day but im sort of getting off topic, the point being, as i list more and more gimmicks, they start to sound less and less like gimmicks, and more like a fantastic experience, im willing to bet a lot of developers from other mmos pre purchased this game to check out the competition, and i bet they are shitting themselves right now

TLDR

Play Guild Wars 2

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#54 » 01 May 2012, 17:01

Anyone heard of any more beta weekends?
Or when the game actually releases?

P.S. Turns me on when Mooney writes huge posts.

P.P.S. Turns me on when Ashvar wants moar tissues.

P.P.P.S. I'll be on vent next beta for sure :D

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#55 » 01 May 2012, 18:36

The DD is now available from the main GW2 site again..I bought the middle one - with all the ingame stuff..cancelled my P/O with EB Sucks, and have my codees instantly. Now to wait on a new beta to try it :D

Noose
Brewmaster
Brewmaster

Post#56 » 01 May 2012, 18:49

I do believe this is finally The Next Big Thing. Wowkiller? Possibly!
/blamecam
/pillow secro

Forath
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#57 » 01 May 2012, 19:46

What mooney said.

Also my wife adores that it will cost me nothing in subscription fee's. Bless her.

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#58 » 01 May 2012, 20:25

I'll beleive it when i see it. Probably toss some money at it if someone tells me where to get a couple of preorders
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#59 » 01 May 2012, 23:06

Thebigman
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#60 » 02 May 2012, 07:53

I knew nothing about the game a few days ago. I read Mooney's post, Ashvar's post, Secro's post, I get excited, I get a tissue and I buy the game (Deluxe).

That's how I roll !!!!

I am moving back in my house Saturday after over three months. Talk to you crazy kids on vent.

How big is the download?

Return to “Other MMO's Discussion”