Star Trek Online

Discussion of other live MMO's you play

Moderators: Kashak, Secro

Usambara
The Patient
The Patient

Star Trek Online

Post by Usambara » 12 Jan 2010, 17:04

Dunno if anyone is interested in this one.

Another site given out some open beta keys
http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/79119

Ollie
Grunt

Re: Star Trek Online

Post by Ollie » 13 Jan 2010, 10:27

ive got a good mate of mine beta testing this atm and he says its not even worth the time, that its a total load of BS, hes done some good write ups about it explaining why and im quite convinced.

basically they've made the mmo to appease the masses and to draw in as many people as they can, that they havnt been true to star trek at all (in reguards to technical stuff like weapons, shields, combat etc) and thats its just a mmo that will make anyone but a trek fan happy.

mind u this is still beta so it could change.

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post by Fitz » 13 Jan 2010, 10:58

As long as I can make a "Token Random Security Officer" to get killed every 5 mins (as inevitedbly happens on every away mission),
I'll be happy lol..

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Secro » 13 Jan 2010, 12:08

it's shit. I wouldn't waste the effort, cryptic are lame, they basically could of made it a good game but it's just shallow. Pretty much champions online with a star trek skin over the top and shallower combat. The whole game is instanced, when you land on a planet you are joining a private instance of the planet and will come across no one unless you invite them into your instance. Space combat puts you into an instance as soon as you come across an enemy and you fight there.
No coming across vast space battles.
There is no tradeskill/economic system. I would think a big part of any space MMO would be atleast try and get some of EVE depth in creating a ship / weapons etc and resource trade across worlds/galaxies. But no.
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post by Fitz » 13 Jan 2010, 12:15

Secro wrote:it's shit. I wouldn't waste the effort, cryptic are lame, they basically could of made it a good game but it's just shallow. Pretty much champions online with a star trek skin over the top and shallower combat. The whole game is instanced, when you land on a planet you are joining a private instance of the planet and will come across no one unless you invite them into your instance. Space combat puts you into an instance as soon as you come across an enemy and you fight there.
No coming across vast space battles.
There is no tradeskill/economic system. I would think a big part of any space MMO would be atleast try and get some of EVE depth in creating a ship / weapons etc and resource trade across worlds/galaxies. But no.

LOL dun dun dun..another one bites the dust...

And with SW:TOR still a year away /cry

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Secro » 13 Jan 2010, 12:19

it's basically a single player game. I hate excessive instancing. Nothing kills a game quicker than that.

I'll just keep waiting for star wars, maybe funcom's The Secret world will be ok, but i doubt it will anything amazing.

Mooney
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post by Mooney » 14 Jan 2010, 00:15

u would think that a brilliantly designed star trek game would be the biggest hit ever

its not like theres a lack of fans....

wasted opportunity imo

Chrien
Herald of the Titans
Herald of the Titans

Post by Chrien » 20 Jan 2010, 11:46

Just come and play eve with me bradley.
Chrien
"You've gotta make decisions, you've gotta keep making decisions, even if they're wrong decisions. If you don't make decisions you're stuffed" - Joe Simpson
Currently Playing: World of Warcraft
Current Character: Khrien - Druid - Horde Khaz-goroth

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Secro » 20 Jan 2010, 12:12

lol. No mmo's till some decent new ones come out.