Post#17 » 05 Mar 2010, 16:48

Totally has pwnies >_>

Beothel
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Re: The Secret World

Post#18 » 27 Mar 2012, 10:41

Thread necro time!

But for a good cause! This game is showing promise if you, like myself, love a good sandbox system.

Anyone else following this one closely still?
Guild Wars2 - Beothel (Sylvari Ranger), Ailtrai (Human Engi))
SW:TOR - Beothel (Sith Marauder), Illusia (Chiss Sniper)
LoTRO - Beothel (Human Lore-Master)
WAR - Beothel (Chaos Marauder)

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#19 » 27 Mar 2012, 10:49

Beothel wrote:Thread necro time!

But for a good cause! This game is showing promise if you, like myself, love a good sandbox system.

Anyone else following this one closely still?

Looks ok.

I get the emails etc, but dont pay a huge amount of attention to it.

Can you list a synopsis of its pros? :P

Beothel
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#20 » 27 Mar 2012, 11:08

Probably the one thing that stands out to me the most is the progression system. These two links really elaborate on that:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/404/feature/6219/The-Secret-World-The-Freeform-Progression-System.html
http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/blog_lead_designer_martin_bruusgaard_explains_character_development

First one explains how every character can gain every ability, but you can only have 7 active and 7 passive abilities at any one time. It goes into how some abilities are common to combat type (i.e. melee weapon, ranged weapon or magic abilities) but most are specific to your weapon/magic type of choice (shotguns, hammers, chaos magic, etc.).

Second link explains how you can build a synergy between your ability choices (i.e. both blades and blood magic have a lot of DoT abilities available, but if you prefer Chaos magic instead of Blood, both Blades and Chaos have a lot of AoE type attacks to choose from).

That's the major stand out for me because I love that kind of system. Everything else has simply looked polished, including fully voiced quests and a consistent storyline for each of the three different factions (which is the only necessity in rolling an alt - with enough time, you can potentially get every ability on each character).

EDIT: Or if you can't be bothered reading those links, this video summarises it briefly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1MeETdH9NM

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#21 » 27 Mar 2012, 16:31

The only issue I find with such a magnitude of choice is that in the end, it usually means nothing as people will discover "THE" spec to be and hence players will be shepherded into being that spec if they want to compete at an even footing..

Forath
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#22 » 27 Mar 2012, 22:04

I've been watching it, but after the Age of Conan shenanigans I'm a bit wary of this mob.

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#23 » 27 Mar 2012, 22:15

AO was so good :(

They should of just made AO2 :D
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Beothel
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#24 » 27 Mar 2012, 23:16

Forath wrote:I've been watching it, but after the Age of Conan shenanigans I'm a bit wary of this mob.

That does seem to be the most vocal criticism about it so far. Funcom haven't got the best track record on a lot of issues.

Noose
Brewmaster
Brewmaster

Post#25 » 01 Apr 2012, 07:10

Rockitt wrote:
Secro wrote:Anyway, this and nazz's mmo and star wars are all I'm interested in at the moment.

What is Nazz's MMO? Does it involve ponies? :P

Firstly, holy crap it's Rockitt!!! HOW YA DOIN BRAH?

Secondly, I too would like to know what this so-called Nazz's MMO is all about.

Thirdly, I am also looking forward to this game, but agree with the sentiment that Funcom's record for out-of-the-box WIN is quite bad. AO did rock eventually tho.

Pwnies ftw!
/blamecam
/pillow secro

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#26 » 13 Apr 2012, 11:44

Fitz wrote:The only issue I find with such a magnitude of choice is that in the end, it usually means nothing as people will discover "THE" spec to be and hence players will be shepherded into being that spec if they want to compete at an even footing..

Warhammers talent trees. Nice and simple.
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#27 » 13 Apr 2012, 14:00

Fitz wrote:The only issue I find with such a magnitude of choice is that in the end, it usually means nothing as people will discover "THE" spec to be and hence players will be shepherded into being that spec if they want to compete at an even footing..

Not really, AO had an open skill points system and it worked fine. It just balanced it by making certain skills cheapers for certain classes. Ie the soldier had cheap assault rifle skill, but a fixer could use an assault rifle if they wanted to invest in to it and a bigger skill point hit.

Not sure how TSW are doing their skills though.

Noose
Brewmaster
Brewmaster

Post#28 » 08 May 2012, 17:48

There's a beta weekend supposed to be this one coming, but I've gotten no emails or news about it. If it doesn't happen, and there's a GW2 one, or even if neither have one, I'm gonna bail on TSW.

Broken promises is what makes Funcom a bad company. They've got a reputation of promising something and not delivering, or delivering WAY too late. I mean, AOC is apparently heaps better now...but the horse has bolted.

As much as I want TSW to be good, compared to GW2 it's gonna have to seriously rock my world to even be considered.
/blamecam
/pillow secro

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#29 » 08 May 2012, 19:25

yeah GW2 looks way more fun really, TSW will probably be better in a year or so after release lol

Beothel
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#30 » 08 May 2012, 23:22

Gamespot are giving away some free ones for this weekend (i.e. only way to try without preorder). I'm also thinking it's not gonna match up to GW2 on release.