SC missing out on DF beta

Discussion of other live MMO's you play

Moderators: Kashak, Secro

Tilania
The Patient
The Patient

Re: SC missing out on DF beta

Post by Tilania » 02 Jan 2009, 11:52

No because generally our traffic to EU goes via the US West Coast, then East Coast then across to Europe. Its essentially a long way, and ya cannae break the laws aw physics capn. Pings to the US will always be better.

In WOW I would have a ping of some 600+ usually red playing on the EU servers from here in Oz.

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kashak » 02 Jan 2009, 12:33

to say it another way. The pipes between Aus and the US and fatter and more numerous.
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post by Fitz » 02 Jan 2009, 12:39

Kashak wrote:to say it another way. The pipes between Aus and the US and fatter and more numerous.
LOL fat pipes. I can be so purile sometimes.

Chrien
Herald of the Titans
Herald of the Titans

Post by Chrien » 02 Jan 2009, 12:57

game has epic fail written all over it.

How long has it taken them to get it to the beta phase? 10 years or something? :p
Chrien
"You've gotta make decisions, you've gotta keep making decisions, even if they're wrong decisions. If you don't make decisions you're stuffed" - Joe Simpson
Currently Playing: World of Warcraft
Current Character: Khrien - Druid - Horde Khaz-goroth

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Secro » 02 Jan 2009, 14:03

lol stop being such a fanboi Chrien.

you can have a game with a small player base and it still does alright (EVE)

It's only a small studio, not a blizzard or mythic in size, it's going to take them longer.

That said, i still wouldn't play it mainly due to the people it will attract (spend some time on their forums for lols)
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post by Fitz » 02 Jan 2009, 14:09

Fight fight fight!

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Secro » 02 Jan 2009, 14:10

pft i'd kick his ass =P

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post by Fitz » 02 Jan 2009, 14:21

Trust you go to go for the ass first.. :P

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Secro » 02 Jan 2009, 14:30

don't like your attitude fitz, you're next!!

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post by Fitz » 03 Jan 2009, 10:40

I'm not sure whether to be aroused or scared.. Kash, hold me!

Chrien
Herald of the Titans
Herald of the Titans

Post by Chrien » 03 Jan 2009, 11:18

Secro wrote:lol stop being such a fanboi Chrien.

you can have a game with a small player base and it still does alright (EVE)

It's only a small studio, not a blizzard or mythic in size, it's going to take them longer.

That said, i still wouldn't play it mainly due to the people it will attract (spend some time on their forums for lols)

Nah its not the small studio its the false promises and expectations they put out there over their development cycle. Anyways it took EVE a while after release to get it right, and EVE is that one in a million title that succeeds when it really shouldn't have, and its taken years for them to reach a stage where it can be called a success.

I just don't see DF being able to repeat EVEs success, as its more of a traditional MMO (EVE being a sandbox MMO is a huge reason for its continued success) I just can't see it happening from all I've read. Its the next vanguard mark my words :p

Good luck with it tho fitz :p
Chrien
"You've gotta make decisions, you've gotta keep making decisions, even if they're wrong decisions. If you don't make decisions you're stuffed" - Joe Simpson
Currently Playing: World of Warcraft
Current Character: Khrien - Druid - Horde Khaz-goroth

Vilrond
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Vilrond » 03 Jan 2009, 15:46

Kashak wrote:Darkfall. For people that want hardcore but then realise its not for them (kinda like WAR's open servers :P )
This sounds like something someone who has never experienced a true pvp system would say. WoW and WAR are games not designed for open pvp, that is why the fail at it.

Shadowbane and UO were perfect examples of how real pvp works. No need to be constantly adding new quests and raid loot when the player economy and politics are the end game. There is nothing more real than player made alliances and wars.
The pvp in wow and war ends up being as meaningless as a game of Counter-strike, yes it is fun but meaningless.

It is not the same as a long standing rivalry that can only be solved with blood.

RVR was pretty neat when daoc came out, it was perfected then maybe... Now I think it has got stale. Too many of the new generation mmo gamers don't know how player driven pvp politics work, and these are the doomsayers who say "it will be a gank fest" It will not fail because open pvp "doesn't work, it does work and has worked. The problem maybe convincing these new generation fps convert players that players do infact police themselves.
Chrien wrote:game has epic fail written all over it.

How long has it taken them to get it to the beta phase? 10 years or something? :p
WoW was in development for 5 years, but they didn't advertise it at all until the last year of development I think
DF has been in development for 7, so yes it is longer and they have been through some internal politics with the company which I agree doesn't sound good... BUT vanguard didn't really try to achieve anything new apart from old fashioned grindage, I think DF is got more going for it in the way of innovation. You may well be right however maybe it will fail, but I am of the opinion that every game deserves my time to try it, not every game deserves money but if its a free beta why bag it before trying it?
Last edited by Vilrond on 03 Jan 2009, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post by Fitz » 03 Jan 2009, 18:29

Chrien wrote:
Good luck with it tho fitz :p

What? When did I say I was going anywhere? I try all new MMOs, but generally never stay long. *sigh* I miss oldschool UO, now that was pvp..

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kashak » 05 Jan 2009, 09:10

Vilrond wrote: This sounds like something someone who has never experienced a true pvp system would say. WoW and WAR are games not designed for open pvp, that is why the fail at it.
The 'if you dont agree with me you must not understand the issues' argument is lame. I often got this when I said I wasnt going to vote for a repubilc (BURN HIM!).
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post by Fitz » 05 Jan 2009, 12:45

Kashak wrote:
Vilrond wrote: This sounds like something someone who has never experienced a true pvp system would say. WoW and WAR are games not designed for open pvp, that is why the fail at it.
The 'if you dont agree with me you must not understand the issues' argument is lame. I often got this when I said I wasnt going to vote for a repubilc (BURN HIM!).
MONARCHIST SCUM! DIE!