Am I wasting my time with PvP till 1.2

For non-Southern Cross and Southern Cross members to talk about The Old Republic

Moderator: TOR Officers

WasteGate
Guild Master
Guild Master

Am I wasting my time with PvP till 1.2

Post#1 » 26 Mar 2012, 16:56

Just read this blog post about the changes to PvP armour in 1.2.
http://dulfy.net/2012/03/22/pvp-gearing-in-1-2/

I can't believe that they are removing the rank requirement for Battlemaster gear and scraping Centurion and Champion gear
I should really just be farming credits to buy the new Recruit set. They should allow Champion pieces to be upgraded to Battlemaster at least then it wouldn't be a waste of time.

It's no wonder no one wants to PvP now with these changes. It will be an honour grind to get BM gear and valour rank will just get you the title :evil:

Guess the only thing to do it buy the mount and stockpile warzone commendations.
Join the Southern Cross Steam group or find us on Facebook

<SWG 2003-2009> <EQ2 2005-2006> <WoW 2005-2015>
<LotRO 2007-2009> <AoC 2008-2009> <WAR 2008-2010>
<World of Tanks 2011-
premium> <SW:ToR 2011-active>
<TESO 2014-2014>

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Am I wasting my time with PvP till 1.2

Post#2 » 26 Mar 2012, 17:33

What's the requirements to buy the war hero gear?

First I heard about all this stuff :P

But from what it sounds, yeah, you should try and farm up the 320k (seriously won't take that long) then start grinding the ranks if war hero has a min equip level.
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

WasteGate
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#3 » 26 Mar 2012, 19:26

Good thread over here - http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread-1- ... ar-Changes

None of the new gear has valour requirements. You use BM gear and new ranked warzone commendations to upgrade to Unrated War Hero gear. The Rated War Hero gear needs a PvP Rating as well which is new as well.

Huge changes.
Join the Southern Cross Steam group or find us on Facebook

<SWG 2003-2009> <EQ2 2005-2006> <WoW 2005-2015>
<LotRO 2007-2009> <AoC 2008-2009> <WAR 2008-2010>
<World of Tanks 2011-
premium> <SW:ToR 2011-active>
<TESO 2014-2014>

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#4 » 26 Mar 2012, 19:44

WasteGate wrote:Good thread over here - http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread-1- ... ar-Changes

None of the new gear has valour requirements. You use BM gear and new ranked warzone commendations to upgrade to Unrated War Hero gear. The Rated War Hero gear needs a PvP Rating as well which is new as well.

Huge changes.

Bit unfair on those who have high valor already.

Should make it +1% expertise per 10 valor levels or something. So really a make of what, 7% for the top valor players?

Beothel
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#5 » 26 Mar 2012, 21:50

The whole point of getting rid of the valor requirement is removing progression from PvP. Which is a philosophy I tend to agree with - the best PvP occurs when there are low barriers to entry - hence the ease with which such gear is going to be obtained. Gear is a good PvE incentive and works well for progression there, albeit a frustrating one at times (like having 4 bounty hunters in the raid when all the drops are for inquisitors), but it's not ideal for PvP.
Guild Wars2 - Beothel (Sylvari Ranger), Ailtrai (Human Engi))
SW:TOR - Beothel (Sith Marauder), Illusia (Chiss Sniper)
LoTRO - Beothel (Human Lore-Master)
WAR - Beothel (Chaos Marauder)

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#6 » 27 Mar 2012, 10:54

I know its beating a dead horse in a dead game but WAR had it right with pvp progression. Gear was pretty easy (or the top teir was so hard nobody had it :mrgreen: ) and after a stupidly large amount of time you got an extra talent point :) That said, WAR had a bit more of a PVP focus .... just a bit :)

If I get my new "rolledtobeusefulbefore1.2patchnotesmademaurFOTM" guy to 50 before 1.2 (unlikely) I'll buy a longspur recon mount.
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Leo Armstrong
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#7 » 03 Apr 2012, 18:34

Hi Waste,

I read the threads and here is the main quote I got from it.

"I already have it figured out which enhancements I am going to be swapping out. I will be stacking up on the force-master lower-robes (have four already in cargo) so I can rip the power-surge and put into the 1.2 BM gear. "

So to the question " is it worth doing pvp before 1.2" absolutely.

If these guys are buying extra BM gear NOW so they can get the mod upgrades applied to them on patch day then ripping out those mods to put into the new 1.2 gear then the top players will need to do the same to compete with those premades.

It won't be good enough to just have the gear set. To compete with this guy who will have crit/surge on at least 5 pieces of gear once he rips the crit/surge mods from the lower robes he has in his cargo hold you need to have it as well. If you come across a whole premade of these guys when fighting in the ranked warzones, it is going to get messy. If you are not geared.

That's how I see it.

Return to “The Cantina”