Officially launching in AU on the 1st March.

For non-Southern Cross and Southern Cross members to talk about The Old Republic

Moderator: TOR Officers

WasteGate
Guild Master
Guild Master

Officially launching in AU on the 1st March.

Post#1 » 15 Feb 2012, 08:56

Low latency regional servers....

This could be good but a nightmare :shock:

Start discussing your thoughts all please.

Wastey :D

Full press release.
BioWare and LucasArts are excited to announce that Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ will officially launch in Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore on March 1st, 2012! Fans in these regions who purchase the game will be able to experience their very own Star Wars™ saga on regional servers. Players who have already begun their journey will also have a limited-time opportunity to migrate their characters from their current servers to Asia Pacific servers after the launch on March 1st, giving them the chance to take advantage of the decreased network latency by playing on a regional server. All players who qualify for a character transfer will be notified in early March with more details.

In the press release announcing the Asia Pacific launch date, General Manager of the BioWare Label’s MMO Business Unit and Co-Founder of BioWare Dr. Greg Zeschuk expressed appreciation for the patience of fans in the region:

Our biggest priority for The Old Republic has always been to deliver a high quality product and high quality service and we are pleased with our results in North America and Europe. We appreciate that our fans in these countries have been patient and we are excited to deliver this same great customer experience to players this March.
Star Wars: The Old Republic will be available in both Standard and Digital Deluxe editions. The Standard Edition will retail for $79.99 AUD / $89.99 NZD / $389.00 HKD / $64.00 SGD and the Digital Deluxe Edition of the game, an Origin.com exclusive, will retail for $89.99 AUD / $99.99 NZD / $465.00 HKD / $76.90 SGD. 30 days of game time will be included with every version of the game, and after that time players will be able to continue playing the game by paying a monthly subscription, or by purchasing a 60-Day Pre-Paid Game Time Card for $32.99 AUS / $42.99 NZD / $249.00 HKD / $39.90 SGD. Star Wars: The Old Republic has three recurring subscription plans and players in Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore will be charged in USD:

1 Month Subscription (automatically billed every 30 days): $14.99 USD per month
3 Month Subscription (automatically billed every 90 days): $13.99 USD per month (one-time charge of $41.97 USD)
6 Month Subscription (automatically billed every 180 days): $12.99 USD per month (one-time charge of $77.94 USD)
Star Wars: The Old Republic is currently available for pre-order* at the following participating retailers in Australia and New Zealand. There are no participating retailers in Hong Kong and Singapore for pre-orders. Also, there will be no pre-orders available at Origin.com:

Australia

EB Games
JB Hi Fi
GAME Australia
Big W online
New Zealand

EB Games
JB Hi Fi
Mighty Ape
Individuals who pre-order the game in Australia or New Zealand will be entitled to the Color Crystal pre-order item, which changes the weapon effect.

Players in Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore will also be given the opportunity to receive the Founder’s Medal** – an exclusive in-game title awarded to early players of the game. In order to qualify, players must complete one of the following transactions by Monday, April 30th, 2012, 12:01AM EDT, 2:00AM NZDT; Hong Kong & Singapore: Sunday, April 29th, 2012, 9:01PM HKT, 9:01PM SGT:

Billed at least once for an active Star Wars: The Old Republic recurring subscription
Redeemed a Star Wars: The Old Republic 60-Day Pre-Paid Game Time Code
Join the Southern Cross Steam group or find us on Facebook

<SWG 2003-2009> <EQ2 2005-2006> <WoW 2005-2015>
<LotRO 2007-2009> <AoC 2008-2009> <WAR 2008-2010>
<World of Tanks 2011-
premium> <SW:ToR 2011-active>
<TESO 2014-2014>

Chrien
Herald of the Titans
Herald of the Titans

Re: Officially launching in AU on the 1st March.

Post#2 » 15 Feb 2012, 08:59

Asia-Pacific servers... if they're in Singapore then theres no significant benefit this will suck
Chrien
"You've gotta make decisions, you've gotta keep making decisions, even if they're wrong decisions. If you don't make decisions you're stuffed" - Joe Simpson
Currently Playing: World of Warcraft
Current Character: Khrien - Druid - Horde Khaz-goroth

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#3 » 15 Feb 2012, 09:02

Im personally happy with Swiftsure.

The ping is generally max 200, and its not that much of an effect when playing against US based players. You might get it to 80-120 by going to an AP server (depending on where its hosted), but you won't see much of a difference imo.

We have seen in the past what happens when you get aussie / AP servers - remember warhammer?
DIED ON ITS ARSE when we didnt have US players to compete against. The aussie population just wasnt there to sustain it long term. We need the yanks to keep things going unfortunately.

Just my 2c

Chrien
Herald of the Titans
Herald of the Titans

Post#4 » 15 Feb 2012, 09:15

Swiftsure is fine now, but if these oceanic servers pull off 75% of the oceanic pop they will suck. You won't have people to play with during prime time, you won't have people to recruit etc.

And Darklands in Warhammer died pop wise at exactly the same time as the games population died overall the only way Mythic kept it alive was consolidating servers they got rid of like 75% of there servers.
Chrien
"You've gotta make decisions, you've gotta keep making decisions, even if they're wrong decisions. If you don't make decisions you're stuffed" - Joe Simpson

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#5 » 15 Feb 2012, 09:56

I dont see the bulk of aussies who are already playing making the decision to move for maybe 80 ping. Servers will be outside Aus I bet and will be more for our non-english asian pals given singapore/HK have a LOT more potential customers than us .

Wait and see IMO. I also dont see character transfer offered. Which is fine if we reroll republic (im up for that) but bugger levelling a PT to 50 again!
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#6 » 15 Feb 2012, 09:57

Fitz wrote:We have seen in the past what happens when you get aussie / AP servers - remember warhammer?
DIED ON ITS ARSE when we didnt have US players to compete against. The aussie population just wasnt there to sustain it long term. We need the yanks to keep things going unfortunately.

Just my 2c

Agree with Chrien. Everyone saw the new zone was PvE only in WAR and that was that, US and AUS.
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur

Froste
Blowjob plz
Blowjob plz

Post#7 » 15 Feb 2012, 10:15

il be moving, simply for the fact that maintenance will be during while i am asleep....

Froste
Blowjob plz
Blowjob plz

Post#8 » 15 Feb 2012, 10:15

Kashak wrote:I dont see the bulk of aussies who are already playing making the decision to move for maybe 80 ping. Servers will be outside Aus I bet and will be more for our non-english asian pals given singapore/HK have a LOT more potential customers than us .

Wait and see IMO. I also dont see character transfer offered. Which is fine if we reroll republic (im up for that) but bugger levelling a PT to 50 again!

also up for rerolling repub

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#9 » 15 Feb 2012, 11:10

Kashak wrote:

says in the press release they are offering transfers!

Players who have already begun their journey will also have a limited-time opportunity to migrate their characters from their current servers to Asia Pacific servers after the launch on March 1st, giving them the chance to take advantage of the decreased network latency by playing on a regional server. All players who qualify for a character transfer will be notified in early March with more details.

If the servers aren't in this country I ain't touching it!!!
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Froste
Blowjob plz
Blowjob plz

Post#10 » 15 Feb 2012, 11:28

Secro wrote:
Kashak wrote:

says in the press release they are offering transfers!

Players who have already begun their journey will also have a limited-time opportunity to migrate their characters from their current servers to Asia Pacific servers after the launch on March 1st, giving them the chance to take advantage of the decreased network latency by playing on a regional server. All players who qualify for a character transfer will be notified in early March with more details.

If the servers aren't in this country I ain't touching it!!!

but think of the maintenance schedule.. srsly

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#11 » 15 Feb 2012, 12:13

Secro wrote:says in the press release they are offering transfers!

My bad. i skimmed it twice!

Froste wrote:but think of the maintenance schedule.. srsly

1 day a week. Big whoop. I managed to survive god knows how many years of WoW with a similar downtime schedule. Its healthy to put it down on Tues anyway.

Secro wrote:If the servers aren't in this country I ain't touching it!!!

True dat.
Steam Surg3on / Kashak

Froste
Blowjob plz
Blowjob plz

Post#12 » 15 Feb 2012, 13:11

Kashak wrote:

1 day a week. Big whoop. I managed to survive god knows how many years of WoW with a similar downtime schedule. Its healthy to put it down on Tues anyway.

hmm alot of emergency maintenance get scheduled for friday night / sat

that is enough for me :)

ashvar
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#13 » 15 Feb 2012, 13:35

I thought they announced free transfer to oceanic server on forums? If so I'm leaning towards xfer IF servers are in aus. 200 or so ping isnt Terribad but still noticeable on my jug when chaining my opening rotation and weaving in a second hit while the force charge animation finishes. However if SC decides to stay as a guild in swiftsure then so will I :)
I asked a popular writer who often wrote about freedom and free markets and asked him what he thought would be the True symbol of 'freedom'.
He answered succinctly:

"Whatever is the opposite of surrender"

Chrien
Herald of the Titans
Herald of the Titans

Post#14 » 15 Feb 2012, 13:44

Servers in Australia. I'd be very surprised if they have a different maint schedule. They don't for Europe.
Chrien

Mooney
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#15 » 15 Feb 2012, 13:56

ashvar wrote:I thought they announced free transfer to oceanic server on forums? If so I'm leaning towards xfer IF servers are in aus. 200 or so ping isnt Terribad but still noticeable on my jug when chaining my opening rotation and weaving in a second hit while the force charge animation finishes. However if SC decides to stay as a guild in swiftsure then so will I :)

yeah but if you transfer then you will get to pvp against all the new scrub australians, you might actually win every so often

Return to “The Cantina”