For non-Southern Cross and Southern Cross members to talk about Guild Wars 2

Moderator: GW2 Officers

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Feedback wanted on IoJ community forum

Post#1 » 24 Aug 2012, 15:08

Hi guys,

I'm considering hosting a forum for the IoJ community (mainly aimed at oceanic players) for co-ordination of events, guild recruitment, community building, pve/pvp discussion etc.

I'm just wondering if you would use a forum like this, or would you prefer to use an official forum?

Personally I used to be big on official forums when MMO's were smaller - but since WoW, and seeing all the dickheads on those forums, it's become less of a space for community and more for a few to troll/spam other users.
I've come to notice the smaller non-official ones have better community and better information available as they are usually moderated to some degree.

Anyway here is the link http://isleofjanthir.net/forum/
It's still a work in progress and not ready to be advertised etc, still deciding if it's even worth it. :P

There is presently still no main page - i've got a few ideas, was hoping to keep in simple with a new feed written by contributors/moderators, a youtube feed of wvwvw/pvp that takes place on the server and a link to the forums for all the discussion.

Can you offer any suggestions/feedback?
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Rhianwynn
LotRO Officer
LotRO Officer

Re: Feedback wanted on IoJ community forum

Post#2 » 24 Aug 2012, 15:32

Looks good, is it linked to this forum login or do we need another one? Having so many log in accounts can get a bit tedious!

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#3 » 24 Aug 2012, 15:41

No Rhianwynn, completely different database/domain/forum software :(

Rhianwynn
LotRO Officer
LotRO Officer

Post#4 » 24 Aug 2012, 16:00

Ah okay. Well the thing with forums is that people need to use them to make them effective. Have you considered using a Guildlaunch website instead? It's not constricted by guild, anyone can join as many groups. That has news and forum features, raiding tools, calendars and a lot of people (including me) use it currently.

Faetan
The Patient
The Patient

Post#5 » 24 Aug 2012, 18:24

I like the Idea of it,

if we can advertise it to the Aussie guilds that would start some traction.

ashvar
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#6 » 24 Aug 2012, 18:42

I like it too, great idea. I would definitely promote it as much as possible and it could very well become a useful tool as we get a better idea of who we are playing with. I would see it becoming a forum which would initially be used by members of the conviction alliance and as the game progresses and our reputation grows other guilds would begin to participate in the server based discussions and add their input, eventually becoming a well known resource for the latest news on anything to do with IoJ.

I do however see potential issues arising out of having a recruitment forum. Competitive guild promotion could turn into, silly chest beating and gradually descending into a stupid list of ego flexing guilds bashing each other and claiming superiority.
Also would the Tech discussions be necessary? Topics like that within guild forums are good, but I don't really care about what Willburt from "insert random guild name here" has to share about his PC specs and I probably wouldn't be inclined to offer any advice either. I can be a bit of a dick sometimes so it could be just me.
The same goes for the 'other games' sections.
I asked a popular writer who often wrote about freedom and free markets and asked him what he thought would be the True symbol of 'freedom'.
He answered succinctly:

"Whatever is the opposite of surrender"

Quiksilva
Grunt

Post#7 » 24 Aug 2012, 18:53

Most server specific forums wind up being focus points for drama queens and attention whores. Anyone remember the Darklands forum on WHA... it just devolved into a vipers pit of rage and epeen measurement

But I do like the idea of an Alliance forum

Communication between alliances in WAR was always difficult and typically restricted to PM's between guild leaders, vent conferences, and lots of YELLING IN CAPS IN REGION CHAT.

A place to plot and scheme for server domination... and perhaps to brag :wink:

ashvar
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#8 » 24 Aug 2012, 19:02

Quiksilva wrote: and lots of YELLING IN CAPS IN REGION CHAT.

OMG!!!! ITS FANNWONG!! (if you were destro) or OMG!!! ITS HANNAR (if u were order) :p
I asked a popular writer who often wrote about freedom and free markets and asked him what he thought would be the True symbol of 'freedom'.
He answered succinctly:

"Whatever is the opposite of surrender"

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#9 » 24 Aug 2012, 20:13

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Initially i'd like alliance to use it for communication, it's good to use while you are stuck at work and have ideas/theories in your head for the nights WvW :P

Could one of the officers pass it onto the other alliance guild leaders if you are happy to use it?

Ash, with the tech forum, if it doesn't get used I'll nuke it. I've noticed some guilds don't actually have tech/off-topic/other games just another option for community building.

If the server breeds drama queens, well I guess the forum will reflect. We aren't on the "main" server with all the elite guilds, so I think it will be pretty minimal.

Recruitment is just 1 thread with your guilds spiel, I doubt it will get out of control, but we'll see :)

Faetan
The Patient
The Patient

Post#10 » 24 Aug 2012, 20:21

Secro wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys.

Initially i'd like alliance to use it for communication, it's good to use while you are stuck at work and have ideas/theories in your head for the nights WvW :P

Could one of the officers pass it onto the other alliance guild leaders if you are happy to use it?

Ash, with the tech forum, if it doesn't get used I'll nuke it. I've noticed some guilds don't actually have tech/off-topic/other games just another option for community building.

If the server breeds drama queens, well I guess the forum will reflect. We aren't on the "main" server with all the elite guilds, so I think it will be pretty minimal.

Recruitment is just 1 thread with your guilds spiel, I doubt it will get out of control, but we'll see :)

We could use it for guilds who want to join the alliance??

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#11 » 24 Aug 2012, 20:42

Sure, if guilds want to join in they can do it through there.
I can open up a seperate area for that, thanks fae :D

Fandin
High Overlord
High Overlord

Post#12 » 25 Aug 2012, 11:46

I'll get AA to sign up :)