Beta Weekend Feedback

For non-Southern Cross and Southern Cross members to talk about Guild Wars 2

Moderator: GW2 Officers

Beothel
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Beta Weekend Feedback

Post#1 » 25 Jul 2012, 20:27

So what did everyone think about their classes/the game in general at this point? Anything you picked up on that people should be aware of/general "this class feels fun"/"this class isn't as much fun as I hoped" stuff.

I didn't get a huge amount of playtime, but I definitely won't be rolling engineer now. Feels like you have to be really familiar with the class to be passably good with it, not to mention they seem like they're all about their utilities rather than weapon skills.

I'm really hoping their next pass over Thief, Mesmer and Necro traits and weapons improve them - those three are looking like my favourites (I'd roll Elementalist and never look back if my girlfriend wasn't dead set on playing one already though).
Guild Wars2 - Beothel (Sylvari Ranger), Ailtrai (Human Engi))
SW:TOR - Beothel (Sith Marauder), Illusia (Chiss Sniper)
LoTRO - Beothel (Human Lore-Master)
WAR - Beothel (Chaos Marauder)

Mooney
Guild Master
Guild Master

Re: Beta Weekend Feedback

Post#2 » 25 Jul 2012, 20:48

I agree with you on the engineer, i feel like there spells had no synergy together, because it was mainly pack based spells, or just turrets

im probably just bad, but i didnt like mesmers, with the way there illusions died on the death of the target you were attacking, which made combat feel really slow and frustrating with them, the amount of condition / boon control they have will be pretty powerfull tho

I had the most fun with elementalist, which i will be rolling, i also made a warrior to level 20ish on the last weekend and they seemed pretty good, can fill a good variety of roles too with the banners that they have, and can pump out some serious dps

i also made a necromancer on the last day or so, my gods they are fun, if elementalist wasn't the best thing ever, i would make one, like the mesmer, the necros ability to mess with conditions and boons is insane, and i can see one being a welcome addition to any dungeon runs, i only got him to level 10 or so, so i cant really speak for traits, but the slot skills seemed really good

a ranger may be a surprisingly fun pick for some people too, i made one after i had tried everything else, i figured they would be a tad generic, but were actually quite fun, you start off with an axe, which you use as a ranged weapon, which made me feel like Rexxar (is anyone else a warcraft lore nerd?), i did notice the pet seemed to be dying A LOT, especially in large dynamic events

would love some thief and guardian feedback from anyone who may have played them as well though! ancal seemed to enjoy the hell out of the 2 handed hammer for gaurdian

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#3 » 26 Jul 2012, 10:23

Good mesmers are freaking nuts in sPvP. The trick being making yourself not stand out from the illusions. Necro needs more skillz than I have but in good hands looks to be quite powerful (plus epidemic power against groups, oh. my. god!). Ranger is good for me though I dont really like the pet AI of "run off and die", a few keybinds should fix that. Engineer was the only class I found to be just not good (for me).

Only 3 spvp maps was the suck. Combat is a bit chaotic but cant judge too harsh as I was running solo.
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#4 » 26 Jul 2012, 10:48

Yeah I had the same problem with the mesmer when I played it a few months ago.

Really wish I was able to get more play time in really only played mesmer and warrior, wanted to also try out guardian and elementalist.... doh!
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#5 » 26 Jul 2012, 12:40

I really only got to play an engy and a thief. But only a few levels of each, so yeh pretty much useless experience.

Didnt even get to do any PVP :(

Guess I just read reviews and watch videos to try to figure out what I want to play.

I enjoyed the engineer to start with, and they seem like they have heaps of fun skills as they go along, but the thief did seem like it did a heap more dps. Espeically because alot of people say they didnt like the engy :/

I hate decision making! :(

Beothel
Stood in the Fire
Stood in the Fire

Post#6 » 26 Jul 2012, 13:13

Really hoping the final changes to the Mesmer improve the overall polish for PvE - I love the overall concept other than the shattering mechanic, and their traits seem lackluster too. But they are looking at changing a number of things with them before the game goes live.

What made Ancal love the Hammer Guardian so much? I never got to try Guardian. They look like a solid control class, which would be perfect for trying to keep my girlfriend alive while we duo.

Necro's death shroud mechanic feels really bland, but outside of that they're really fun, albeit there's apparently only two builds that currently work well in PvP (they're looking at necro traits too though). Nothing about the Ranger really excites me, their utilities look incredibly boring.

I only played the Thief a little, and they play really differently to other melees (didn't try out shortbow, but Pistol/Dagger makes you incredibly mobile for a ranged character). Initiative is extremely limiting early on, and you're almost wholly reliant on your traits to improve that system. The stealing system is hit and miss, and again wholly reliant on traiting for it to be useful. Overall, they seem like they will build up steam as they level - utilities look like a lot of fun too, although the Elites are apparently quite average.
Guild Wars2 - Beothel (Sylvari Ranger), Ailtrai (Human Engi))
SW:TOR - Beothel (Sith Marauder), Illusia (Chiss Sniper)
LoTRO - Beothel (Human Lore-Master)
WAR - Beothel (Chaos Marauder)

Leo Armstrong
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#7 » 26 Jul 2012, 14:55

I played a Necro to level 21...

It was fun though if max level is level 80 then what anyone says about any class at this point seems rather limited.

That was my first beta and I went in completely blind having bought the didital version just hours before beta started.

Think this is the first game since SWG where crafting makes the best stuff. FINALLY!

A game where I do not need to raid AT ALL. FINALLY!!

A game where, I can level through PVE or PVP or CRAFTING solo. FINALLY!!!

A game where resources stay on the map for every player... FINALLY!!!!

Hmmm if thats not account based then I can make 5 toons and
do 5 full runs of the map getting every resource available daily... SOLD!!!!!

I tried WvW very briefly on the last day. Seemed very Warhammer like which will suit me.
Might do what i did in warhammer and run a PUG warband once my crafting is done.

If you have nothing to do and want Guild wars 2 news try...

This one is the episode of a week before beta but still fun to watch if you have nothing to do.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/video-game-sh ... -is-a-lie/

This one is another site and the episode is from after beta 3.

http://www.talesoftyria.com/tales-of-ty ... end-3.html

Above was part 1 there is a part 2 which is here. Part 2 has some PVP stuff from beta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZbwfFpl ... tion_85872

WasteGate
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#8 » 27 Jul 2012, 07:13

FINALLY!!!! LEO HAPPY :P

I doubt even you will be able to master all the crafting in this one Leo. At least there is no monthly cost.

Wastey :D
Join the Southern Cross Steam group or find us on Facebook

<SWG 2003-2009> <EQ2 2005-2006> <WoW 2005-2015>
<LotRO 2007-2009> <AoC 2008-2009> <WAR 2008-2010>
<World of Tanks 2011-
premium> <SW:ToR 2011-active>
<TESO 2014-2014>

Fitz
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#9 » 27 Jul 2012, 08:45

WasteGate wrote:FINALLY!!!! LEO HAPPY :P

I doubt even you will be able to master all the crafting in this one Leo.

NO WASTEY DONT DARE HIM WE'LL NEVER HEAR FROM HIM AGAIN WE DONT NEED ANOTHER GAMER DEATH

Leo Armstrong
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post#10 » 27 Jul 2012, 14:44

Too late,

I have started eating 20 pizzas a day so as too put on enough blubber too last through the winter...

This takes us back to UO where i ended up crafting uniforms and stuff and dying it all. That was fun.

In beta after 2 days my toon was level 20 but i was up to level 30-40 FULL armor sets on my crafter.

So in theory after launch when I am actually trying to level crafting fast I should be able to do double that
if not tripple. Plan would be as stated above to level 1 toon till he has taken all the resources from
the starting area map... area 1-15. Then make the next four toons and do the same but send all resources to the first toon.

I don't mean level 5 toons from 1-15 in a day. Just level 1 toon and use the other four to just run through
the zone to collect the mats again and mail them to my main. I'm not sure if the mats respawn daily or
a few times a day zone wide though.

I realize Legendary items requier a "Legendary" amount of mats to craft them but I'm pretty sure we will have the first full set of legendary gear
if it just comes down to collecting mats and crafting it.

Need to go to u-tube... feel like watching "Loverboy- Turn Me Loose".... I gotta do it my way.... or no way at all :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnHm4ro_l8s

Mooney
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#11 » 27 Jul 2012, 19:20

at least your account is linked to guild rather than the individual characters in this one :P

no more

iheals
ihit
itank
ipad

also, dont nodes respawn anyway? so you could probably get away with doing it on 2 chars, or just looping with 1 depending on the time?

also

no

icraft? ever, seriously?

Rexor
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post#12 » 29 Jul 2012, 17:59

I played mostly thief and that's going to be my class I roll.
Not only was it great fun in PvP, but after watching a video on youtube of someone actually good with the class... I'm sold.
http://youtu.be/LnioaHVRjh4

Thief is a great range class and kicks ass up close. In WvW while it's not as useful as say an ele who can AoE stuff to death, you do have the ability to pull people in with a rope/hook thing and burst them down. It's great for making people rage.

Elementalist, I thought while they are fun, it felt too much like every other MMO caster class; not really anything new there. On the other hand the thief gave me the opportunity to play in a fresh new way.

my2c

:)
...many other MMOs I don't remember the details.

Mooney
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#13 » 29 Jul 2012, 19:21

Rexor wrote:
Elementalist, I thought while they are fun, it felt too much like every other MMO caster class; not really anything new there.

:)

did you try dual daggers?

but yeah, elementalist staff will be pretty familiar to mmo veterans

Rexor
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post#14 » 29 Jul 2012, 23:09

Yes, dual dagger for up close and dual pistol for range. Didn't try the bow like in vid. Daggers become very useless when against groups and you need to control, kite and damage. In WvW I only used daggers to burst down the idiots who ran in too far.

It seems like fun and lack of long stealth makes it all the more interesting. It is definitely a cool downs based class unlike the others I tried. Thief won't be the fotm I think because they are squishy and melee players will be disappointed with how much range fighting you need to do. Even in questing I found using only dual daggers pulling a few mobs was often tough.

Best thing I like about my first play in the beta is that this game doesn't feel like a grind fest. I'll be able to play casual-ish and there seems to be a lot of depth to the game even for a seasoned MMO player. I still don't know a lot of the fundamental mechanics like the significance of combos, the complexity of character builds and the debuff system. It's cool.
...many other MMOs I don't remember the details.

Mooney
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#15 » 29 Jul 2012, 23:19

i meant with elementalist :D