Can WoW go the distance?

For non-Southern Cross and Southern Cross members to talk about World of Warcraft

Moderator: WoW Officers

Balki
The Patient
The Patient

Can WoW go the distance?

Post by Balki » 14 Jan 2005, 15:58

Now that we've all conceeded that playing wow is better than breathing, one question springs to mind - how long can the fun last?

Does Wow have the content and creativity to keep us coming back for 6 months? a year?

As my first real mmorpg i'd like to think i'll be playing this for years to come. But after seeing SWG hit the wall only 18 months in, i've started looking for warning signs that wow might not survive for some unfathomable reason.

thoughts?

Explosivo
Joric - Priest
Balki - Retired

...Don't wait, or your opponents will crash you with fruits!!

MJ
WoW Officer
WoW Officer

Post by MJ » 14 Jan 2005, 16:25

i think it has lost a lot of its initial "sparkle" since i first started playing, im sick of running around now, and can't be bothered getting 2 more lvls atm... the queues have really killed it for me and the constant lag. Compared to CoH its teaming system is sub-par and i only know a couple of people my lvl now. All of these issues will be resolved *sometime* so that will renew a lot of hopes (and subscriptions).
Blizzard are great for creating new exciting content so there should always be something new to do. It should have staying power once they resolve the core issues mentioned above.
ImageImage

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Secro » 14 Jan 2005, 16:48

I love WoW and see myself playing it for a few years, if they have lots of good high end content. Like Hero classes would do the trick nicely for that :P
And yea, the game isn't the best for PUG's (Pick Up Groups) But they are working on that, and the lag of course.

Meeting Stones: Meeting Stones are located outside of each dungeon to help players find a group to adventure into the dungeon. The meeting stone will try to find you a viable group by finding a tank, a healer, and so on. As time goes on and you are unable to find a group, the meeting stone will become less picky about who it chooses to group you with.

right from Here
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Spyder
Elemental Lord
Elemental Lord

Post by Spyder » 14 Jan 2005, 18:18

I think WoW can go the distance, but the distance is extended by the fact that it you have to complete 2/3 of the game levels before you can run at a decent speed (compare that to just over 1/4 in CoH).

The PUG interface issue is a huge one for me. While I plan to log on to WoW most nights, unless I find a decent group in half an hour I'll probably just logout and play CoH instead.

The meeting stone sounds like a weird solution that might work, but the same page has the PVP Honor system listed as under development, which we all know is no longer true...
Spyder - Pally Healer, WoW Blackrock (retired lv70)

Secro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Secro » 14 Jan 2005, 18:38

Nope, they are sticking by the HONOUR system, just not the dishonour.
IE, if im lvl 60 and i kill a 60 i'll get points. If im 60 and kill a 20 nothing will happen.
Steam: MrSecro | PSN: Secro

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kashak » 14 Jan 2005, 23:15

I'll tell you in 6 months...
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.

Dubb
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Dubb » 15 Jan 2005, 01:18

I played SWG for 12 months, and i tell you what - WoW is soo much better, i mean wow... the difference is amazing.

I trust Blizzard not because i want WoW to be good, but because they have a GREAT track record.
-Dubb

SWG - Dubb Smith the Smugger and Evil Dubb the Doctor
WoW - Pirate Ninja forever!
AoC - Natsuko the assasin
WAR - Natsuko the witch hunter and Cokshawe the awesome.

Rockitt
Mechagnome
Mechagnome

Post by Rockitt » 15 Jan 2005, 08:53

He's going the distance. He's going for speed...

I think WoW has legs. It's nothing "new" perse, but it's a smoothly blended composition of good features from many MMORPGs.

One of my mates who has never hit the maximum level in any MMORPG he's played reckons he'll make level 60. :)

Rob
More alts than you can beat with dual wielded Thrash Blades.