Virtual tax revisited

For non-Southern Cross and Southern Cross members to talk about World of Warcraft

Moderator: WoW Officers

nucleon
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Virtual tax revisited

Post by nucleon » 16 Oct 2007, 10:00

Good article summerising Tax and in-game earnings.

http://money.howstuffworks.com/virtual-tax.htm

One way the online gaming industry hopes to thwart what some consider to be the inevitable (referring to in-game tax) is through the retention of ownership rights, which most companies have established in their contracts. In most MMOG rules, the company, not the player, owns the Castle.

Now you know why Blizzard writes in the terms of use that it owns all in-game assets.

-- Craig
CoV - Soundspeed (Son/Kin Cor)
CoH - Ms Taken (Storm/NRG Def) GoldenRock (Rock/Rock Tank)
WoW - Omikron (Druid) KappaOmikron (Shaman)

Selphie
Epic!
Epic!

Re: Virtual tax revisited

Post by Selphie » 16 Oct 2007, 10:11

nucleon wrote:Good article summerising Tax and in-game earnings.

http://money.howstuffworks.com/virtual-tax.htm

One way the online gaming industry hopes to thwart what some consider to be the inevitable (referring to in-game tax) is through the retention of ownership rights, which most companies have established in their contracts. In most MMOG rules, the company, not the player, owns the Castle.

Now you know why Blizzard writes in the terms of use that it owns all in-game assets.

-- Craig
you mean.. against being taxed irl for things you earn in-game?
thats retarded, as if tax for that in the first place..

nucleon
Bloodsail Admiral
Bloodsail Admiral

Re: Virtual tax revisited

Post by nucleon » 16 Oct 2007, 10:30

Selphee wrote:you mean.. against being taxed irl for things you earn in-game?
thats retarded, as if tax for that in the first place..

No. You are best off reading the article.

Taxing 'irl' for in-game earnings won't happen (unless you play second life). It won't happen as tax occurs when money (or assets) changes hands (changes ownership). The fact that in-game assets (gold/armour/weapons) remain property of Blizzard (as described in the terms of use), defines that all in-game assets never change hands as they are always owned by Blizzard.

Threfore as long as in-game assets are exchanged for other in-game assets - no change of ownership occurs, therefore no tax. It's only when in-game assets are exchanged for real money does a taxable event occur.

Even though the gold/armour/weapon/other item exists in your in-game backpack - you do not own it. It is merely allocated to you via game mechanics. We're talking legal definitions here.

I agree with the article - as soon as one exchanges in-game assets for real-world money - they should be taxed.

-- Craig
CoV - Soundspeed (Son/Kin Cor)
CoH - Ms Taken (Storm/NRG Def) GoldenRock (Rock/Rock Tank)
WoW - Omikron (Druid) KappaOmikron (Shaman)

Vanit
Dreadlord
Dreadlord

Post by Vanit » 18 Oct 2007, 10:25

I thought most people knew this already. Goldfarmers justify the supposed legality of their business by claiming they're selling the time it took to collect the goods, not the goods themselves. Whether that argument holds up in court, I'd say probably not.

Noose
Brewmaster
Brewmaster

Post by Noose » 18 Oct 2007, 12:08

Vanit wrote:I thought most people knew this already. Goldfarmers justify the supposed legality of their business by claiming they're selling the time it took to collect the goods, not the goods themselves. Whether that argument holds up in court, I'd say probably not.

Hrm, might hold up a bank and try that argument if I get caught. :lol:

Kathryne
Epic!
Epic!

Post by Kathryne » 18 Oct 2007, 17:41

Vanit wrote:I thought most people knew this already.

Vanit wrote:blah
This ain't no ancient culture here mister.

wazari
I Am Legendary
I Am Legendary

Post by wazari » 19 Oct 2007, 19:05

Noose wrote:
Vanit wrote:I thought most people knew this already. Goldfarmers justify the supposed legality of their business by claiming they're selling the time it took to collect the goods, not the goods themselves. Whether that argument holds up in court, I'd say probably not.

bank robbers sell the gold/cash they steal from banks?
wazari | irazaw | wazaro | orazaw

bnet - Wazari#6219

#1 Countrist in the world!

ǝɯ ʇou 'uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹɐ noʎ

Kashak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kashak » 25 Nov 2007, 11:42

wazari wrote:
Noose wrote:

bank robbers sell the gold/cash they steal from banks?

No they just exhange the time spent on planning the heist for coke and whores.
Live! Kashak PSN Kash_Surgeon
Steam Surg3on / Kashak
Old stuff: CoH - Professor Magma, WoW - Kashak, Kashuk, WAR - Kashak (Magus), Rift - Kashtekur
Bishop AKA Jackdin AKA Autekur 1979-2011. Miss you.